The Student Room Group

Retaking GCSE Maths to enhance career.

Hi,

Firstly I apologise if I have put this in the wrong section with so many options I thought you can't go wrong with 'General Discussion'.

Anyway, I am currently an A2 student and next year I am going to study Accounting at Cardiff University. When I did my GCSE's a couple of years back I didn't really apply myself properly and I didn't have a teacher. I ended up with a grade B which seemed fine at the time. As I am hoping to have a career in Finance do you think it would be worth retaking GCSE Maths as I studied it during my A-Levels? Do you think having just a grade B and no AS/A-level Maths will hold me back in the future?

Thank you for reading,

:smile:
Reply 1
Probably would be better in some academic related forum, but heyho

From everything i've seen, a B is fine. I would retake a C but a B is pretty much okay. An AS/A-level in Maths may well have been useful - not sure if that will have a large impact, but if you get a good degree, i'd expect they really wouldn't care that you got a B and not an A at GCSE.

Just my thoughts though, see what others say. Might as well just make sure you do the best in your A-levels.
Nope, don't retake it'll be a waste of time and won't make much of a difference, plus it wouldn't mean a lot as they would see you took it after your GCSE results. Just try your best focusing on A levels.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Nymthae
Probably would be better in some academic related forum, but heyho

From everything i've seen, a B is fine. I would retake a C but a B is pretty much okay. An AS/A-level in Maths may well have been useful - not sure if that will have a large impact, but if you get a good degree, i'd expect they really wouldn't care that you got a B and not an A at GCSE.

Just my thoughts though, see what others say. Might as well just make sure you do the best in your A-levels.

Perseverance
Nope, don't retake it'll be a waste of time and won't make much of a difference, plus it wouldn't mean a lot as they would see you took it after your GCSE results. Just try your best focusing on A levels.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the replies guys :smile:

Latest