The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
No accom as of yet? Or ever. Becuase that would be uber glum.
Iv been sorted since about 1963 though-bit of an exageration.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
lilcathstar
I got a place at Edinburgh through clearing and the accomodation office have told me today (8 days before we're supposed to be there) that i have no accomodation. Any one else in this situation? any advice about what to do?

cheers

there should be some advice on there website of where to look for private accommodation, and I'm sure that you can join a waiting list/request forms of some kind to transfer into university-owned accommodation should somebody drop out/not bother to turn up.
Reply 3
Hi,
yeah, I'm in the same position (as in my post yesterday). I'm now looking for places to stay whilst waiting for the info pack from the uni of where might be good to look.
To be honest looking now isn't that great a help to me as I'm not in Edinburgh so can't view flats. I've already had one person saying that they'd need to meet me first before letting me move in.
So my plan is basically to look for flats as soon as I get up there (10th Sept.), unfortunately I can't go up any earlier due to my job. I'm lucky in that I have some friends living in Edinburgh that I can crash with until I find somewhere to live. It's still rubbish though.

andy
Reply 4
If you have no accommodation at all, that's a bit of a bummer. I don't have any as of yet, though I didn't go through clearing. I hope it gets sorted out soon. This will probably sound really stupid, but I don't get why they accepted people through clearing if they are meant to have too many people who got the grades anyway :\ Surely that's just foolish!
Reply 5
You would think so wouldn't you!?! Never mind! I'm going up to Ed tomorrow to have a look round some flats and hopefully get in contact with some people in a similar situation. Not really expecting to find anything so i'll probably take a year out, get the 1 more UMS mark i need for my 1st choice uni and go there starting in 2006.

TBH, i don't know why they sent me an accom form, the letter was dated 23d aug, and the deadline for guaranteed accom was 16th, so they must have known that they had too many guaranteed places for the rooms (hence the sharing in pollock halls!)

Oh, an incedently if i hadn't rung up accom office to find out the progress on my application, i wouldn't have known that I'll be homeless. They still haven't written to me to tell me. so a word of advice to anyone waiting to hear from them... just ring up and check!

And also I haven't recieved anything in writing from Ed Uni to confirm I have my place, they've confirmed it on the phone and UCAS have told me, but no information whatsoever from the Uni itself. So not majorly impressed with them really!

*rant over*!
Reply 6
Well... I'm also looking for other people looking for flats (that makes alot of looking!!!)

In fact, as i vaguely mentionned on the EUSA forums, I found a pretty sweet appartment... it's about £65 a week... it has 4 bedrooms with double beds and one with single... it has washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, and microwave... it also has a bathroom and a seperate showerroom... and it's really not far off Gearge Square (map )... it sounds almost too good to be true... if only I didn't have to find 4 other people to be interested!

Meh... there's another one that sounds cool for just 4 people this time... just not AS cool!

Well nothing tells me i'll be able to get it... but it's a start... anyway, if anyone wants someone to got flat hunting with them i'm your man!! (i'm looking at you lilcathstar) If anyone needs a flatmate, i'm also your man... actually i can be anything you want as long as it gets me a place to sleep!

In any case i'll be there friday... staying at a hostel... wheee!

[email protected]... email in the next 5 hours and get a free tshirt (lies)

I'd give you my phone number but i'm not in the uk at the moment.. so it'd be pointless!

Cheers, all you homeless out there!!

[EDIT: I'm stupid and/or sleepy, week not month]
Reply 7
RoderickH
Well... I'm also looking for other people looking for flats (that makes alot of looking!!!)

In fact, as i vaguely mentionned on the EUSA forums, I found a pretty sweet appartment... it's about £65 a month... it has 4 bedrooms with double beds and one with single... it has washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, and microwave... it also has a bathroom and a seperate showerroom... and it's really not far off Gearge Square (map )... it sounds almost too good to be true... if only I didn't have to find 4 other people to be interested!

Meh... there's another one that sounds cool for just 4 people this time... just not AS cool!

Well nothing tells me i'll be able to get it... but it's a start... anyway, if anyone wants someone to got flat hunting with them i'm your man!! (i'm looking at you lilcathstar) If anyone needs a flatmate, i'm also your man... actually i can be anything you want as long as it gets me a place to sleep!

In any case i'll be there friday... staying at a hostel... wheee!

[email protected]... email in the next 5 hours and get a free tshirt (lies)

I'd give you my phone number but i'm not in the uk at the moment.. so it'd be pointless!

Cheers, all you homeless out there!!

That place sounds pretty good. Other flat fell through, Rod, the guy just text me so I'm back to square 1 again, woo hoo! I just love this house hunting lark.
Reply 8
Yeah... i know what you mean... that's happened to me today aswell!

I also found somewhere cool but all places were taken within a few hours! Crazy suff...

at least with the one i'm looking at, no one can visit it before i get there... so no one can beat me to it (i hope)!

The market is crazy at the moment.. that's for sure!

Aieee!
Reply 9
Oh for crying out loud... it's you catherine isn't it!! Why didn't you say so!

When i was talking about the place that was full up i was talking about the same place you just got an SMS from... Damn you Chris!!

Alright.. pleeeeease email me if you find something tomorrow... it will be the second time i'll be in debt towards you. If not... we can go flat hunting on friday, if you still decide to go to Ed that is.

Actually... maybe I should just be sending this to you by email...

... then again... do i look like someone who isn't lazy?

*clicks on submit*
Reply 10
Are you sure that flat u mentioned earlier is £65 a month?! and not a week?

When you get to Ed and look at this place then give me a ring, and if I haven't found anything then I'll definitely be interested. If i do come, I'll be coming up for good on Sunday.

Would email you but hotmail's not behaving itself!

Edit.. yes it's me *rolls eyes* !! I'll only be up there tues and weds, then coming home for thu fri and sat.. and then moving up for good on sunday... eek!
Reply 11
Woops... hehehe... now i feel kinda silly!

£65 a week!! Well... all the tenants would have to agree to something so that the one getting the single bed gets it cheaper... so i'd say:

£67 for all four people with the big rooms, and £57 for the other... something like that anyway.

As you're unsing hotmail I think I'll add you to my MSN contact list... just not tonight... i'm off to bed coz it's 11.30 here and i'm exhausted beyond anything sane. I can try talk to you when you're back from your hunt... see how it went! See if I will have any chance.

You might wanna go see the people in accomodations (at pollock halls), they said you could turn up there starting today and they'd try and help you find something private... that is, if they're not busy sticking bunkbeds in all of the pollock halls rooms... tsss!

take care.. good luck for tomorrow!

[EDIT: once again I am very sleepy, bunkbeds, bunkbeds, bunkbeds... ok i got it this time]
Reply 12
Just to update you all... I've just got back from Edinburgh and now have a nice 4-bed flat with 3 other people I met up there, so am no longer homeless!! yay!!

Best of luck to all you hunting, but be quick 'cos all the flats are going fast!!

Latest

Trending

Trending