The Student Room Group

gcse maths, last minute advice

well, i've got my maths exam on monday and i have really pushed myself when it comes to revision. i'm predicted an A, but really desperately want an A*.

i find that i tend to know how to answer questions, but i sometimes struggle when it comes to recognizing what methods to use. does anyone have any last minute advise that they can give on how to get the best possible grade? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

There's a maths exam on monday???

What country are you in? UK?
Reply 2
Be Awesome
Reply 3
make sure you copy down the question properly working wise, I find I can lose quite a few marks over the paper for miss-copying digits.
Take the exam slowly you have 135 minutes for 100 marks so you have time to really think about what methods could work for the question
Reply 4
Instincts_2012
There's a maths exam on monday???

What country are you in? UK?

yer, the edexcel non calculator is on monday
Are you in year 10 or year 11?
Reply 6
Practice on A* questions and do many practice papers.. so you can recognise the types of questions that come up.. exam technique helps a lot.

Also check your answers through if you have time.. because it really helps!

Does anyone know the grade boundaries for A* on Edexcel?
Reply 7
Do every calculation at least twice, and read the question.

Also, check your factorising! you have no idea how many people make stupid mistakes by rushing through the paper and not checking, most of GCSE maths just requires you to think and not rush
Reply 8
Both in year 11

and the grade boundaries are not set they can vary quite a bit.
Reply 9
grade boundaries are usually around 85%. Not that hard to get.

My advice is: storm through the paper, miss questions that you can't do or take you longer than 30 seconds. You should have one hour to forty five mins to do the questions you didn't get, allowing you to relax on them rather than worrying about whether you'll have time to finish
Reply 10
my head of maths says that you should work equally as hard on the A/A* topics as you would with the C/B topics because quite frankly, if you want the A*, you have to zoom through the easy stuff and that's where you'll get your juicy marks. make sure you know the D/C/B topics throughly in order to get the high marks.

and like someone else said, you have 1hr45mins, so you have plenty of time to check your ansers and look for different techniques in order to solve a problem
Reply 11
Atherilia
make sure you copy down the question properly working wise, I find I can lose quite a few marks over the paper for miss-copying digits.
Take the exam slowly you have 135 minutes for 100 marks so you have time to really think about what methods could work for the question

thank you, i've always rushed through the mock papers, so i agree that on monday maybe i should take it a bit slower
Reply 12
Kash:)
Be Awesome

haha thanks, i'll try my best :P
Reply 13
Instincts_2012
Are you in year 10 or year 11?

year 11 :smile:
Reply 14
cyfer

My advice is: storm through the paper, miss questions that you can't do or take you longer than 30 seconds. You should have one hour to forty five mins to do the questions you didn't get, allowing you to relax on them rather than worrying about whether you'll have time to finish

really? i've always made sure that i didn't move on to another question unless i had finished the one i was on :/
Reply 15
What exam board are you on? There's also an AQA Maths paper this monday. Modular, no coursework. Module 5. Non-calculator, that's what I'm doing.
What I do is attempt a ton of past exam papers. My school gives us 20 each time. I attempt them all, mark them and read my revision guide and watch my school website's maths revision videos on the areas I failed at.
But anyway this works very well and its what earned me my A*s on module 1 and module 3.
Reply 16
theres a few maths exams on monday... aqa modular, ocr non-calc, edexcel non-calc and edexcel igcse
Reply 17
Jarred
What exam board are you on? There's also an AQA Maths paper this monday. Modular, no coursework. Module 5. Non-calculator, that's what I'm doing.
What I do is attempt a ton of past exam papers. My school gives us 20 each time. I attempt them all, mark them and read my revision guide and watch my school website's maths revision videos on the areas I failed at.
But anyway this works very well and its what earned me my A*s on module 1 and module 3.

i'm on edexcel, and thanks :smile:
i've done quite a lot of past papers, not up to 20 though lol but i've seen myself improving, which is good :smile:
what revision guide do you have?
Reply 18
Just do the paper as normal, then go through it again and question everything you've done and why you did it.

If you get stuck on a question think it through logically. Remember most importantly ( well this is what i struggle with most) circle theorems, and sin tan cos graphs and how to manipulate them. e.g. f(ax) = , f(x) +4
Reply 19
im doing n3 and n6. my n6 is on monday too. i heard that you need about 60% to get a c in n3, do you need 60% in n6 too cause im finding it really diffcult :/

Latest

Trending

Trending