The Student Room Group

AQA LITB3 - Elements of the Pastoral 15/6/10

Just wondering if anyone else was doing this exam, and if so how you were finding revision?

My centre are doing As You Like It, and Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and Poetry Post 1945.
:frown:

:confused: <<<<<< pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about the exam haha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, Im doing that exam too..

and I have to choose between Brideshead, As You Like It, and Blake's Songs of Innocence&Experience. This is for Section A.
For Section B, I've studied poetry from 1300-1800 and post 1945.

I really don't know what to do for Section A. lool.
I'm definitely doing As You Like It For Section A - it's easier to learn quotes for haha And then the others for Section B :/

not looking forward to it haha
we're doing, As You Like it, Blake and 1300-1800 poetry.

you only needed to do three texts, but it means whatever I write about in Section A, I'll need to write about again in Section B.

struggling to revise for it tbh!
weirdwakkidolli
I'm definitely doing As You Like It For Section A - it's easier to learn quotes for haha And then the others for Section B :/

not looking forward to it haha

Do you have any essay questions I could steal ?
installedpear
Do you have any essay questions I could steal ?

I'll have a gander when I get home :smile: As You Like It Section A and some general section B questions?

Bearing in mind my teachers just made them up for us haha
weirdwakkidolli
I'll have a gander when I get home :smile: As You Like It Section A and some general section B questions?

Bearing in mind my teachers just made them up for us haha

Anything - we've not been specifically prepared to do one text for A and another for B.

But I'm fairly sure I'll do AYLI for Section A, because I love it - and it's shakespeare so it's the best and you can kinda say whatever you want, some respected critic will have said it before you so it's valid! also there are more resources online for it - there's jack **** on Blake!

Literally hating LitB3.... I'm just praying that my LitB4 Coursework mark stays at 59/60. Somehow I managed to pull 200/200 UMS out of my backside after resitting Aspects of Narrative in January. Got a C first time round 100% in January - such a joke... I think my summer answer was MUCH better as well... it's all about jumping through stupid hoops. not about how good you are at english.
installedpear
Anything - we've not been specifically prepared to do one text for A and another for B.

But I'm fairly sure I'll do AYLI for Section A, because I love it - and it's shakespeare so it's the best and you can kinda say whatever you want, some respected critic will have said it before you so it's valid! also there are more resources online for it - there's jack **** on Blake!

Literally hating LitB3.... I'm just praying that my LitB4 Coursework mark stays at 59/60. Somehow I managed to pull 200/200 UMS out of my backside after resitting Aspects of Narrative in January. Got a C first time round 100% in January - such a joke... I think my summer answer was MUCH better as well... it's all about jumping through stupid hoops. not about how good you are at english.

Wow your marks are good! haha I think i got 50/60 on my LITB4, not as good as my last coursework marks but whatever haha I only need a C or something to get an A... I think haha
weirdwakkidolli
Wow your marks are good! haha I think i got 50/60 on my LITB4, not as good as my last coursework marks but whatever haha I only need a C or something to get an A... I think haha

This is the absolutely ridiculous thing about the A*.

I need 40/120 in LitB3 to get an A
-but-
I need 102/120 in LitB3 to get an A*

that's a ******* HUGE difference.
Reply 9
We're doing As You Like It, 1300-1800 poetry and She Stoops to Conquer. Anyone else doing SSTC, really not enjoying it!
installedpear
This is the absolutely ridiculous thing about the A*.

I need 40/120 in LitB3 to get an A
-but-
I need 102/120 in LitB3 to get an A*

that's a ******* HUGE difference.

I know I think it should count just 90% OVERALL with as included. I'll get those questions to you soon, hopefully :smile:
Ceelee
We're doing As You Like It, 1300-1800 poetry and She Stoops to Conquer. Anyone else doing SSTC, really not enjoying it!

As You Like It looks popular - although I have to admit it is my favourite. I've never read She Stoops to conquer, but I know I really don't like Tess of the D'Ubervilles haha
Reply 12
I'm doing the same exam as you, only we've learnt the Gothicism side of the paper. Really nervous about next week, but at the same time I just want it to be over. I'm finding writing about form and structure really hard. :frown:
Reply 13
We're doing Brideshead, Huckleberry Finn and William Blake.

Blake is just long...there are basically 53 poems which all say pretty much the same thing: he dislikes the Established Church and industrialisation.

Huckleberry Finn and Brideshead are alright though :biggrin:
chux
I'm doing the same exam as you, only we've learnt the Gothicism side of the paper. Really nervous about next week, but at the same time I just want it to be over. I'm finding writing about form and structure really hard. :frown:

which texts are you studying? i find form and structure the easy bit so could probably help if you needed it (:
Reply 15
abcdemilyxx
which texts are you studying? i find form and structure the easy bit so could probably help if you needed it (:

Dr faustus, wuthering heights, paradise lost, frankenstein & macbeth (my school are psychos and decided to teach us five when we only need three)

Like, I get how form relates to whether it's a poem/play whatever but I don't understand how you'd fit that into a point. It's the same with structure - I usually come up with stuff like: 'xyz happens at the beginning of the novel/poem/play and foreshadows the ending' but that never seems to work. :confused: What do you do?
chux
Dr faustus, wuthering heights, paradise lost, frankenstein & macbeth (my school are psychos and decided to teach us five when we only need three)

Like, I get how form relates to whether it's a poem/play whatever but I don't understand how you'd fit that into a point. It's the same with structure - I usually come up with stuff like: 'xyz happens at the beginning of the novel/poem/play and foreshadows the ending' but that never seems to work. :confused: What do you do?

oh gosh, your school is so mean! ): i nearly died reading wuthering heights alone |:
well for wuthering heights, the terminology for the structure is closed narrative- it's a story within a story (nelly is telling lockwood a story of the events at the heights/grange) and so you could relate this to gothic ideas of unreliable narrators and how we see nelly's loyalties towards heathcliff and catherine change as events unfold.

for macbeth, the play form allows us to sympathise with him as a villain-hero (he should be the bad guy yet we like him) as we are constantly presented with soliloquies so know his true feelings. you could link this to anything then, gothic ideas of gender reversal and women in society (as he could be seen as being manipulated by his wife and the witches)

i would guess that frankenstein is largely like dracula in that it's written in letters/diaries etc? the terminology for this one is epistolary form. you could link it to show time passing, personal information and secrets - we like/dislike the characters because of personal things we are told in the diaries, again the gothic unreliable narrator due to the diary being written by one subjective person.

the other two i'm unsure of, is doctor faustus a play? that could use similar points to macbeth. and i've got no idea about paradise lost ):
Reply 17
abcdemilyxx
oh gosh, your school is so mean! ): i nearly died reading wuthering heights alone |:
well for wuthering heights, the terminology for the structure is closed narrative- it's a story within a story (nelly is telling lockwood a story of the events at the heights/grange) and so you could relate this to gothic ideas of unreliable narrators and how we see nelly's loyalties towards heathcliff and catherine change as events unfold.

for macbeth, the play form allows us to sympathise with him as a villain-hero (he should be the bad guy yet we like him) as we are constantly presented with soliloquies so know his true feelings. you could link this to anything then, gothic ideas of gender reversal and women in society (as he could be seen as being manipulated by his wife and the witches)

i would guess that frankenstein is largely like dracula in that it's written in letters/diaries etc? the terminology for this one is epistolary form. you could link it to show time passing, personal information and secrets - we like/dislike the characters because of personal things we are told in the diaries, again the gothic unreliable narrator due to the diary being written by one subjective person.

the other two i'm unsure of, is doctor faustus a play? that could use similar points to macbeth. and i've got no idea about paradise lost ):

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! This is really helpful :smile: Yes, Frankenstein starts off written in letters & then is a narrative within a narrative within a narrative (like an extra layer on WH).
Dr Faustus is a play with a prologue and stuff.

So have you only learnt three, then? That would have been a lot easier, I don't know why they thought five was a good idea. :s-smilie:
chux
Oh my goodness, thank you so much! This is really helpful :smile: Yes, Frankenstein starts off written in letters & then is a narrative within a narrative within a narrative (like an extra layer on WH).
Dr Faustus is a play with a prologue and stuff.

So have you only learnt three, then? That would have been a lot easier, I don't know why they thought five was a good idea. :s-smilie:

no worries, took me ages to get my head round how to write this exam! then yep, it's just comparing stuff like that. so then you'd apply the points to the question you're asked.

yup, my teacher said we could learn 4 but she personally thought it would be too much so we just learnt three in alot of depth. i suppose it gives you a better breadth of questions you could answer? for instance, if i can't answer the section A question on dracula then i'm in trouble lol.
Reply 19
I'm doing this one too - As You Like It, Blue Remembered Hills and post-1945 poetry. I'm really worried about this exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending