The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Jimbo1234
Physics has hard maths in it, arguably harder then a maths degree so it would give you a lot of options.

First bit, fine. Harder maths than a maths degree? What are you basing that on, your experience of doing both?
Gimothy
First bit, fine. Harder maths than a maths degree? What are you basing that on, your experience of doing both?

Talking to students who do either of the subjects. Maths mostly consists of proofs and using equations to estimate values, physics is lots of calculus and applying advanced maths techniques such as raising e to a matrix etc.
PQ
"and then come on TSR and expect others to see what I've "found out" and accept it as truth"

Oh sorry PQ, i do talk so much rubbish:

-Labour's typical supporters ARENT northerners living on the dole
-A 1st from Oxford is the same as a 1st from TVU
-A person who cannot get above a C grade at A Level still deserves to study the subject at degree....

There we go commrade, i've corrected those 'truths' now LOL
Reply 103
PPE Oxford is surely the only answer to the OP...
billydisco

-Labour's typical supporters ARENT northerners living on the dole

Well of course they aren't, if they were Labour would never be in power. There are probably only about 1 to 2 million people that are unemployed in the North of England. Labour got over 8 million people's votes, so even if every umemployed person in the entire of the UK voted for Labour (unlikely) then they would still be in the minority of Labour voters at the last election.

I think we can therefore apply the fact that you are talking out of your arse on this point to any others you make.
Reply 105
it all depends on what doors your talking about - there are a lot of doors that are closed with a degree from a good institution, just as there are a lot of doors that are opened. it is conceived of as the latter because that is what is sought, but if you're talking about opportunity more generally you close as many avenues with every one you choose to walk down.
ChemistBoy
Well of course they aren't, if they were Labour would never be in power. There are probably only about 1 to 2 million people that are unemployed in the North of England. Labour got over 8 million people's votes, so even if every umemployed person in the entire of the UK voted for Labour (unlikely) then they would still be in the minority of Labour voters at the last election.

I think we can therefore apply the fact that you are talking out of your arse on this point to any others you make.

I think you'll find thats 'affirming the conclusion' and a logical fallacy...

If i was to rank the 600+ constituencies of this country by 3 measures, crime, qualifications and salary, i would see a correlation between red and blue on all 3 lists, yes or no?

The answer is yes and what i said (whilst being a simplistic exaggeration) does not sidetrack from the real point i was making!
Quady
PPE Oxford is surely the only answer to the OP...

I havent read the OPs initial post, but i would argue a non-technical degree cannot open up the most doors, because technical people can do non-technical work, but not vice versa.

I'd say maths from cambridge would open up the most doors....

You could do consultancy, programming, engineering, law etc
billydisco
I think you'll find thats 'affirming the conclusion' and a logical fallacy...

No, it's called the application of prior experience, it's what we use in real life rather than philosophy.

If i was to rank the 600+ constituencies of this country by 3 measures, crime, qualifications and salary, i would see a correlation between red and blue on all 3 lists, yes or no?

The answer is yes and what i said (whilst being a simplistic exaggeration) does not sidetrack from the real point i was making!

That (in bold) was the whole point! Don't be so dismissive of the fact that you were caught speaking ********.

There is a very big difference between saying that typical labour voters are more likely to come from lower income backgrounds in inner city areas (hence more crime and I'm not sure about qualifications as I'm sure the left-wing academy and public sector must influence that one a bit) and saying that typical voters are 'unemployed northerners'.
ChemistBoy
There is a very big difference between saying that typical labour voters are more likely to come from lower income backgrounds in inner city areas (hence more crime

Why does a city have to have more crime?
Reply 110
billydisco
I havent read the OPs initial post, but i would argue a non-technical degree cannot open up the most doors, because technical people can do non-technical work, but not vice versa.

I'd say maths from cambridge would open up the most doors....

You could do consultancy, programming, engineering, law etc

The only guy I know to do PPE Oxford went on to accenture
which is technical consultancy.

I'd say Nat Sci at Cambridge opens more doors, maths doesn't take you into the full range of sciences and the rest. But thats splitting hairs a bit, Maths opens a lot of very high quality doors...
Reply 111
billydisco

Less sense of community.

It doesn't have to by definition but does all over the world compared to rural areas of the same country.

Why does glass have to be see through?
billydisco

Are you really going to argue the toss about that?
Quady
The only guy I know to do PPE Oxford went on to accenture
which is technical consultancy.

I'd say Nat Sci at Cambridge opens more doors, maths doesn't take you into the full range of sciences and the rest. But thats splitting hairs a bit, Maths opens a lot of very high quality doors...

True, especially as you can do CS as part of Nat Sci.
By the time med students gonna finish their degree studies, other people with enough brain can make a good carrer.
pharmacy brilliant course

Latest

Trending

Trending