The Student Room Group

new and need some advice!!

Hi everyone!!

I have a bit of a problem and don't know what to do. I have applied to do an access to nursing course at my local college and had an interview and test today with the college and UWS admissions officer (it's a SWAP course) The interview went well and the test was easy :smile:

As well as applying for the college course, I also decided to chance applying to UWS through UCAS. I received an invitation to attend a pre-test interview next week for the degree course (!!). I mentioned this to the uni admissions officer today and he seemed shocked. He said he can only apologise as it seems like there has been an error. I am a mature student (26) and been out of education for almost 10 years. I have got very good standard grades, but nothing else. The college tutor disagreed with him and said she didn't think it was an oversight and to take my high standard grade results and mature student status into consideration. He advised me NOT to take the test next week in case I fail. He also said to contact the head of nursing at the uni and ask if I have been given the test by accident.

I am very disappointed, as you can imagine. I never thought I would even be considered to go straight into uni and sent the ucas form on 'the off chance'.

What should I do?? I really don't think I wil fail the test.

Feeling a bit deflated
It seems like you don't have A levels and that is why the uni admissions officer seemed shocked. You can't do the degree course without A levels so it does seem as though they have made a mistake offering you the interview for the degree course.

Are you sure it is not the Diploma course that you are being interviewed for?
puddlejumper
It seems like you don't have A levels and that is why the uni admissions officer seemed shocked. You can't do the degree course without A levels so it does seem as though they have made a mistake offering you the interview for the degree course.

Are you sure it is not the Diploma course that you are being interviewed for?

the OP is 26 and therefore comes under all flavours of 'mature student' rules ...
zippyRN
the OP is 26 and therefore comes under all flavours of 'mature student' rules ...

But that doesn't mean that they don't need the equivalent to A levels - whether it is an Access course or some other such course - which was my point.
Reply 4
hi, it is the degree course.

the college lecturer says i have enough qualifications. when she challenged him, he said i have the bare minimum and basically said i couldn't handle the course. i know i can. the only reason i never got the higher results i wanted was due to a real rocky year.

anyway, even if i had the higher results, it would still be 10 years since i had got them!! i would still be in the same situation. i think i should go for the test, i have looked at a few example papers online and completed them with ease.
Reply 5
also, my half sister started the course last year and she had nowhere near the standard grades i have. she'd been out of education for 12 years and also didn't complete an access course
Reply 6
just to let you know, i have been accepted for the degree course!! i start jan '11 :biggrin:
kisywisy
just to let you know, i have been accepted for the degree course!! i start jan '11 :biggrin:

:woo:

congrats!!
Some people must have piss poor lives if they have to drag up a remark of mine from 3 weeks ago to give neg rep.

Sweetie you could have saved your time as you have zero rep power!

Try waiting until you actually have rep power before negging soemone, as you simply look like a **** if you neg with no power.

Oh, and congratulations to the OP on gaining a place.

Latest