The Student Room Group

The end

Dear all

I would really appreciate some advice. This is quite a complex situation, so I will try to explain it simply.

I obtained 7 GCSEs (mainly at grade C) ad a GNVQ in ICT (Merit) in 2005. In 2007, I got AAC at A-level in Double ICT and English. I began a degree course at my local Uni in 2007. In 2008, I decided to live on the campus, but experienced financial difficulties, so moved back home this year. As a result of these issues, I have repeated the second year of my course. I have just received notification that I am unable to process to the final stage of the honours degree.

This is due to failing more than 60 credits (three modules out of six). As I failed 4 modules, I am not eligible to be reassessed. The board of examiners’ could have granted a repeat stage (where marks would be capped at 40), but this has not been offered. I have not even passed enough modules to be offered a place on the Ordinary degree. This means that my programme of study has been terminated with the award of Certificate in Higher Education. I do not have the funds to repeat the degree at a different University. I currently owe the SLC in excess of £17000.

I am interested in going in to ministry in the Church. As a result of already received government support, I will not be eligible to receive the Student Support Grant that people normally get. I will need to cover my own living expenses for two years whilst in the south of England. I am not sure I will be eligible to progress with the application, so have arranged to have a meeting with my minister to discuss the situation.

I have no work experience and am not able to claim Job Seeker’s Allowance until September. I have no idea where to go from here. There are no mitigating circumstances, so the grounds for appeal are limited. There are probably a number of reasons for my underperformance:

1. The second year modules are intended to be more difficult and have less of an introductory feel
2. The module choices may have been uncongenial
3. Poor time management in exams made it impossible to pass the module in some cases
4. My work does not address the question on some modules
5. I have a 60 minute commute to the University
6. I Plagiarised (bought some internet essays) in the first year when I achieved 66%

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
:rofl: At your reasons for why you failed the second year:

"The second year modules are harder" duhhh
"The module choices were uncongenial" I didn't exactly enjoy all my classes either..
"Poor time management"
"60 minute commute" What difference does that make?

What an idiot.
Bubbles*de*Milo
:rofl: At your reasons for why you failed the second year:

"The second year modules are harder" duhhh
"The module choices were uncongenial" I didn't exactly enjoy all my classes either..
"Poor time management"
"60 minute commute" What difference does that make?

What an idiot.

You forgot "I plagiarised".
Reply 4
fencedin

ministry in the Church.
I Plagiarised (bought some internet essays)

You will be a brilliant pastor.:yep:
Religion and dishonesty, a classic combination.
A wonderful career as a TV Evangelist awaits you.

fencedin
I would like to take on a spiritual leadership role within the Church.
I lied to the people in my Church about the results I obtained.
I said I got A and A* grades, when in fact my results were mainly C grades, but with a D in Maths.

At A-level, I achieved AAC, but told them that I got AAA.
they consider me 'academically gifted' even though I am not.
I am on the verge of failing my undergraduate degree, even though they expect me to get a first.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24645585#post24645585

You will have no trouble convincing your credulous parishioners about the Trinity and Sin. :yep:
Reply 5
Is this guy for real?
Reply 6
Thanks for your support - not. TSR is full of elitist, snobish, middle class idiots.
fencedin
Thanks for your support - not. TSR is full of elitist, snobish, middle class idiots.

While people were perhaps a little rude towards you, it is not without basis. There is a lot of sympathy for people who cannot handle the rigours of an academic education, but there is (rightly) no sympathy for those who engage in academic misconduct in an attempt to avoid failure.

A key part of becoming a minister/pastor in the Church is having personal integrity (even if some do not always have it, it is a requirement). Perhaps you need to do some soul searching about whether your plagiarism means you don't have that integrity.

If you're really determined, make amends, get a job, do charity work, and fund yourself through a suitable qualification to become a minister.
Reply 8
Well look - you clearly aren't that academically able and as a result weren't able to cope with University. If you hadn't lied you wouldn't be in such a mess.
Reply 9
I like this troll.
aliluvschoc
I like this troll.

Look at the OP's posting history. It's consistent, spans over several months, and most posts are nowhere near troll content. I do note, however, that they claimed to have 4 A's at A-level, raising more questions regarding personal integrity.
Reply 11
fencedin

By that do you mean its not full of people who get a 'pass' or better when they complete their degrees and don't get caught cheating?

In any case, good. Thats how it should be.

btw How does that make them idiots...? I don't expect you to know, you're not bright enough to formulate an answer.
Apply for oxbridge and they'll probably give you a scholarship :yes:
1. The second year modules are intended to be more difficult and have less of an introductory feel

Were you expecting EVERY year to have an 'introductory feel'? :s-smilie: I mean, really? lol

Commuting for one hour is one heck of a bad excuse. I've been commuting two hours on my Master's and my lowest grade so far is a 67.

I don't think university is the right path for you.
Reply 14
Thaks for the advice everyone. I'm sorry if I have caused offense in any way. I recognise that I chose the wrong route for me and then went about it the wrong way once I had got there. The mistakes I have made are very regrettable. There can be no excuse for dishonest academic conduct. I hope to be able to put this experience behind me now to concentrate on the future.

Best wishes.
bluepear
I hope to be able to put this experience behind me now to concentrate on the future

Why not take up a trade ?
Become a butcher, a baker, a boilermaker, chef or a plumber.
I understand that your father is a pipe fitter.
Perhaps you can use his contacts and go into that trade.

A university degree is not essential for future happiness.
( To be frank, university is probably beyond your ability. )

bluepear
There can be no excuse for dishonest ... conduct.

Stay away from the Church.
In the Church, you will be in contact with many vulnerable people and with your serial lack of integrity,
the risk that you will exploit them will be high.

BTW, having multiple accounts in multiple usernames is also dishonest.
It breaches the agreement made when you joined TSR.

Latest

Trending

Trending