The Student Room Group

Gaining confidence in P1-3 questions (and going further)

Hello folks,

For various reasons I have had to acquaint myself with P1-3 as quickly as possible over the last 2 months. I still have a fair bit of P3 to get through. What I really need, however, is practice working on problems; and I don't have much time to spare. Can anyone point me to a decent workbook or something of that nature which has a full range of P1-3 problems to work through? And it will need to be one with fully worked solutions; I can't afford to agonise for long over problems, and need to make sure I am following the proper procedures etc. I don't supposed anyone is aware of one nice big book of questions and fully worked answers for P1-3 on the market (I hope to push on to P4 too, in the not-too-distant future). Time is of the essence, you see; I'd sooner have a pile of something structured to work through than meander about the worldwide web looking for maths problems. (Incidentally, I don't need any more theory books; I have enough of those.)

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply 1
Theophilus7
Hello folks,

For various reasons I have had to acquaint myself with P1-3 as quickly as possible over the last 2 months. I still have a fair bit of P3 to get through. What I really need, however, is practice working on problems; and I don't have much time to spare. Can anyone point me to a decent workbook or something of that nature which has a full range of P1-3 problems to work through? And it will need to be one with fully worked solutions; I can't afford to agonise for long over problems, and need to make sure I am following the proper procedures etc. I don't supposed anyone is aware of one nice big book of questions and fully worked answers for P1-3 on the market (I hope to push on to P4 too, in the not-too-distant future). Time is of the essence, you see; I'd sooner have a pile of something structured to work through than meander about the worldwide web looking for maths problems. (Incidentally, I don't need any more theory books; I have enough of those.)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I don't see why you want to do P1-3 seeing as though the exams won't be offered any more. It'd be more profitable to study C1-4 seeing as though the material is exactly the same (and I mean more than the paper that the syllabus is written on :tongue:),

The Heinemann textbooks were always good for problems. It went through the theory, went through worked examples and then there were also review exercise that were very much in the style of exam questions (a couple of hundred, and I never got past question 10 myself through laziness). If you just want some exam papers though you can get Solomon Press papers - I'm sure that someone could send a few through so that you won't have to pay for them.
Reply 2
It would definitely be better in the long run to do Core 1, 2, 3 and 4 rather than P1, 2 and 3 since that way you cut out an applied module and cover the same amount of maths work. You can then go straight onto P4/FP1 once you've finished doing C4 stuff
Reply 3
distortedgav
It would definitely be better in the long run to do Core 1, 2, 3 and 4 rather than P1, 2 and 3 since that way you cut out an applied module and cover the same amount of maths work. You can then go straight onto P4/FP1 once you've finished doing C4 stuff

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I'm not too worried about labels (P or C). Basically, I want to drill myself in the "core stuff". By the end of this month (hopefully a lot sooner) I shall have finished taking notes on and doing some of the exercises from my P3 book (I have a set of books I'm working through). What I need to do, however, is consolidate what I have learned this month and last month by working through questions - and I'd like to practice questions in books which present their model solutions, so I can check my work and, when I get stuck, quickly refer to the provided solution. (I'm doing this on my own; I haven't got a teacher).

Any ideas?
Reply 4
I honestly can't think of a book that contains full solutions, but I'm sure if you post problems on here that you're struggling with, someone be able to help and/or give you a solution for the problem...
Reply 5
distortedgav
I honestly can't think of a book that contains full solutions, but I'm sure if you post problems on here that you're struggling with, someone be able to help and/or give you a solution for the problem...

Thanks for the reply.

I have occasionally posted on this site, and that has been helpful. Of course, it does take time - you have to come away from your work, write up the question, and wait several hours for an answer to pop up. That's fine for the occasional problem, but not when you are pressed for time; and I like to check all my own working against the "pro" even when I'm sailing through all the problems without any difficulties.

So perhaps there is someone who can recommend some workbook? I suppose even a good wad of 15-30 past papers (P1-P3/C1-4) with fully worked solutions would fit the bill, if they're obtainable.

Cheers.
Reply 6
It's a shame you're not using the "core" books, because despite taking you through the same stuff you can get the "core solution bank" books that presumably work you through the questions in the books.
Reply 7
ssmoose
It's a shame you're not using the "core" books, because despite taking you through the same stuff you can get the "core solution bank" books that presumably work you through the questions in the books.

Maybe you could point me to the books you are referring to in any case? I might be able to make some use of them, perhaps.
Reply 8
maybe you could get hold of past exam papers and their mark schemes- i think these can be purchased throught the exam board- this will give you a fully range of questions with complete answers...
i have to say i sdmire you working through this- i found p3 particullary hellish!!
Theophilus7

So perhaps there is someone who can recommend some workbook? I suppose even a good wad of 15-30 past papers (P1-P3/C1-4) with fully worked solutions would fit the bill, if they're obtainable.

Cheers.

Dont suppose you noticed this at the top of the page?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t60388.html

hi, when i was doing p1-3 a couple of years ago, i read through these books, as they were reccomended to me by my former girlfriend, and they were very good. they provide a lot of worked examples of the main types of questions that will come up in your exam, and provide a full methodology, plus there are lots of questions for you to try as well!

the layout in them directly followed the edexcel p1-p3 syllabus, and should translate well to c1-c4. i just read through the examples, and then tried doing a couple of questions of each type in my head to see where it was leading, and if it made sense then i'd skip that bit, and if it didn't, then i'd do a couple of written questions. anyhows, without further ado, the books are:

pure mathematics 1, pure mathematics 2, pure mathematics 3 - all of these are by collins and are part of their 'advanced modular mathematics' range.

they should cost about £12 each, but are worth it. you might have a little difficulty finding them, but i got mine through a site called www.methvens.co.uk, but that's just because i live near one of their bookstores. hope that this helps (as they helped me - i aced those modules), and good luck with it! :tsr:
Reply 11
if ever u have trouble with a problem post it on nrich its a site run my cambridge maths undergras and u get an answer fairly quick and its invaribly right or the person replying gets slated
Reply 12
ssmoose

Yeah the Solution Banks would be pefect. Although I thought they were on a CD (Someone confirm this? I have never bought one).
Reply 13
Theophilus7
Basically, I want to drill myself in the "core stuff". By the end of this month (hopefully a lot sooner) I shall have finished taking notes on and doing some of the exercises from my P3 book (I have a set of books I'm working through). What I need to do, however, is consolidate what I have learned this month and last month by working through questions - and I'd like to practice questions in books which present their model solutions, so I can check my work and, when I get stuck, quickly refer to the provided solution. (I'm doing this on my own; I haven't got a teacher).

Any ideas?

It sounds like you might find http://www.examsolutions.co.uk useful. It contains model solutions for past C1-C3 papers. U can download the question papers for Edexcel C1-C4 from http://www.mathsexams.ukteachers.com/Edexcel/

ExamSolutions.co.uk also sell there own exam practice papers which come complete with model solutions.
Reply 14
cleas001
maybe you could get hold of past exam papers and their mark schemes- i think these can be purchased throught the exam board- this will give you a fully range of questions with complete answers...
i have to say i sdmire you working through this- i found p3 particullary hellish!!

Spot on!! was thinking that :biggrin:.

Also, i didnt think there could be a difference if you did p1 - p3 or c1 - c4, they all contain the same thing more or less just that heinemann decided to split the old P1 and P2 and make the workings more user friendly and stuff..
If i remember right, there are a whole whole load of questions in the "P" books that you could get stuck into :s dont know if that helps though..
I also remember that the P1 - P3 now C1 - C4 have little revision guides which are sold in some bookshops(mostly academic waterstones cos i used to work in one), they are quite helpful, but more helpful close to the exam time i guess..
The best bet is exam Q's really and if you deal with the Q's in the book, thats are usually as hard as they will get

Latest