The Student Room Group

Questions for AS philosophy

I have a few questions, and I would greatly appeciate it if anyone could answer them :biggrin: :

1)Strengths and weaknesses of prime mover?
2)Strengths and weaknesses of four causes?
3)Quotes for Plato?
4)Quotes for Ireneaus and Augustine?
5)Is it stupid to not bother studying science, such as the big bang and creationism?
6)If a question comes up which says ''Explain Aristotle's ideas about cause and purpose in relation to God'' , do i have to explain everything I know about Aristotle (E.G the soul, the prime mover and the four causes)

Thanks
Reply 1
please can someone help i really need these answers, any answer to any of the questions at all would be a help
don't quite know what you mean about 'strengths and weaknesses' of prime mover and the four causes. or do you just mean strengths and weaknessess of Aristotle's argument in general?

I wouldn't say you would need specific quotes- we were never taught not to use quotes unless it is key words like Creatio ex nihilo and a priori. You just need to remember the difference between the two theodicies and how the ireneaus theodicy disagrees with aspects of the Augustinian theody- but mainly remember to explain how they both try to explain how there can be God and Suffering in the world.

Science and Religion has come up a lot in the past- i haven't bothered revising it because i doubt it will come up- but you'll never know.

for question six i would talk about all aspects- but making sure it links to the question and not go of on a tangent.
Reply 3
I was asking about strengths and weaknesses of prime mover in the case of a part b question coming up like: ''Discuss the validity of Aristotle's concept of the prime mover''

Oh.. it's just my teacher always tell us that we Always need quotes because otherwise you can't get higher than a C :s-smilie:

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 4
whufcboy
I have a few questions, and I would greatly appeciate it if anyone could answer them :biggrin: :

Tells us about the cause of the universe, non specific religion. However contradictory of only using empirical evidence to gain knowledge, no proof
We can see it happening in real life, however can you generalize to to everything e.g. the universe?
3)Quotes for Plato?don't need, your teacher is not correct
4)Quotes for Ireneaus and Augustine? same as above
5)Is it stupid to not bother studying science, such as the big bang and creationism? not stupid at all, my teacher told us not to + a few others on TSR are doing the same
6)If a question comes up which says ''Explain Aristotle's ideas about cause and purpose in relation to God'' , do i have to explain everything I know about Aristotle (E.G the soul, the prime mover and the four causes) Yes almost everything, with emphasis on cause and purpose and God, always link back to question

Thanks

Hope that helped :smile:
whufcboy

Thanks

Can be considered weak as it has no proof, theists argue that there would be no point in a god who could not interact with what he had created.

Humans like the idea of cause in the world, and the idea of causes is more believable, for many, than Plato's idea of Forms. However, some argue that Aristotle was too quick to reject the idea of there being another world, and many modern thinkers say the universe does not need a purpose.

3)Quotes for Plato?
You don't need them, your teacher is wrong. Only at GCSE you need quotes.

You don't need them, your teacher is wrong. Only at GCSE you need quotes.

5)Is it stupid to not bother studying science, such as the big bang and creationism?
Not stupid, I'm not studying that topic either; we weren't taught it well and there's a choice of questions - just make sure you know the other topics well enough to be able to answer any question that comes up if you're eliminating certain questions by not studying the topic.

6)If a question comes up which says ''Explain Aristotle's ideas about cause and purpose in relation to God'' , do i have to explain everything I know about Aristotle (E.G the soul, the prime mover and the four causes)
Would be the best way to approach it, yes, but keep linking it back to the question, don't just turn it into a summary of everything you know about Aristotle.

Hope that helped somewhat! Helped my revision anyway :indiff:
Reply 6
Thanks a lot guys

hmm maybe by quotes for plato my teacher meant using extracts from the analogy of the cave?
what board is this? Because for edexcel I was always told that quotes were essential.
Reply 8
I'm doing OCR
whufcboy

3)Quotes for Plato?

Thanks

WEAKNESSES
-How does 'thinking about thinking' cause movement?
-If the PM is 'God', Then many religious experiences cannot be accounted for
-Part of his perfection is that he can only think of himself, any other thought would mean him changing. But, it could be argued that a perfect being should have compassion for those around him. Judeo-Christian God for example, is perfect <i>because</i> he DOES care for us and have an interest.
-The Prime Mover being the creator does not account for how the matter of the universe came to be.
-How can the PM be perfect but, but be so ignorant to an entire would he has created?
STRENGHTS
-Explains why there is a constant and steady stream of motion and change in the world.
-Avoids many critisms the Christian God encounters; The Prime Mover cannot be critisised for evil and suffering etc.

Strenghts:
-Can be applied to virtually any object in the universe.
Weakness:
-

^^obivously a topic I need to revise :smile:

3)Quotes for Plato?
"We may forgive a child for being afraid of the dark, the real tragedy in life is men afraid of truth"
"Those who are to smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those dumber then they are"

Augustine:
"The penalty for sin corrects the dishonour of sin"
"...Grace might be reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ"
Irenaeus:
"For how, if we had no knowledge of the contrary, could we have instruction on that which is good"

-For some reason I can't make sense of the question: creationism is not science :|
EDIT: Just realised what you meant: its up to you, I am leaving out science and Kant

6)6)If a question comes up which says ''Explain Aristotle's ideas about cause and purpose in relation to God'' , do i have to explain everything I know about Aristotle (E.G the soul, the prime mover and the four causes)
-You do not need to know about the soul for AS. Don't put that in there.
-I would go into detail about how the PM and four causes relate to cause and purpose. therefore, concentrate on how the efficient cause and final cause have relation to the PM (Who Aristotle believed was God) < I am a little uncertain about this one though...

Good luck tommorow!

Latest

Trending

Trending