The Student Room Group

A level subject choices- suitable for a politics degree?

I'm currently in year 11 and aspiring to do a politics degree. I've changed my mind several times since applying to colleges and being offered places at both. My decision on subjects is: government and politics, economics, spanish and buisness studies (in addition to compulsory general studies and key skills, with the extended project in my second year). If you have any suggestions on subjects then I will be very grateful.

If it is relevant I recieved my GCSE in Japanese in year 9 achieving an A*:woo: ; and my predicted grades are as follows:
English language: A
English literature: B
Maths: A
Biology:A*
Chemistry: B
Physics: A*
French: A*
Spanish:A*
Geography: A
History: A*
Psychology:A*

Also I have recieved a distinction in the junior sports leader award and have work experience over the summer with an MP for a week and a law firm for a fortnight. As part of extra curricular activities I am leading the year council and yearbook committee; part of prom committee, senior prefect, helped out at open evenings and parent evenings; lead a primary school athletics club; organised several charity events; and represent my school on the athletics team and also captain of my lacrosse club.

any advice will be helpful ie what subjects universities like and what they would be looking for in terms of work experience etc
thank you very much :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try to avoid subjects which overlap such as Economics and Business Studies, some Universities don't like it.
Reply 2
I'm doing politics and philosophy and went for :

Econ
Pol
History
Chem

Pol just easy A
Econ not hard and good for subject shows clever and can argue
History good for writing essays argument using precise info... and looking at ur His gcse u will be fine

I would say do them, with Chem i just chose it to show can do a hard subject general intelligence so do maybe that or physics biology or maths something hard just to show you can do it.
Reply 3
Perhaps substitute Business Studies with History? you seem quite capable at it having got an A* at GCSE. It's a well-respected 'traditional' subject and would help with politics A Level (at least I found it did!).
Reply 4
you might want to change Business to subjects like History, Philosophy or even Sociology. They are not only more respectful but also better for your course in my opinion.
How about trying to get in with Media Studies, Psychology and English language?
Reply 6
I'm doing Economics and Politics, although there's no reason to believe my choices would've been unsuitable for single honours Politics degree. My A-levels are in my signature.
Reply 7
BSreject
I'm doing politics and philosophy and went for :

Econ
Pol
History
Chem

Pol just easy A
Econ not hard and good for subject shows clever and can argue
History good for writing essays argument using precise info... and looking at ur His gcse u will be fine

I would say do them, with Chem i just chose it to show can do a hard subject general intelligence so do maybe that or physics biology or maths something hard just to show you can do it.

when I applied before changing my mind I had history as my fourth choice at one, and biology at the other (order of choice: spanish, politics,economics, history or biology- one of which is my reserve) I am immensley passionate about both of them, I just can't decide which one to do- ie which is regarded more highly by universities; and what compliments the other subjects

Don't do business studies.

history, maths, french, geography, English, any science subject maybe sociology or psychology
Reply 9
lilGem
when I applied before changing my mind I had history as my fourth choice at one, and biology at the other (order of choice: spanish, politics,economics, history or biology- one of which is my reserve) I am immensley passionate about both of them, I just can't decide which one to do- ie which is regarded more highly by universities; and what compliments the other subjects

If your choosing between history and biology, for Politics I would definately go History!

Go spanish politics economics and history, sounds about perfect, spanish a bit of an odd one but why not shows you got a range and if your good/passionate go for it u will get better grades!
Reply 10
BSreject
Go spanish politics economics and history, sounds about perfect, spanish a bit of an odd one but why not shows you got a range and if your good/passionate go for it u will get better grades!

Spanish is one subject I cannot seem to drop as I love it so much, and I'm not sure how valid this is but universities/employers do like people who have an AS/A level in a foreign language :smile:
Reply 11
lilGem
Spanish is one subject I cannot seem to drop as I love it so much, and I'm not sure how valid this is but universities/employers do like people who have an AS/A level in a foreign language :smile:

Totally agree
A language may prove helpful in the future.

Maybe Politics/Ecomics/History/A language/Geography

Maybe if your ok, choose another language or something like law.
Reply 13
Sapphire_Eyes
Maybe Politics/Ecomics/History/A language/Geography

Maybe if your ok, choose another language or something like law.

I'm pretty sure I will not be able to handle doing 5 ASs/A levels as much as I would love to. I'm pretty certain that history will remain as my fourth option unless a "better" subject would be suggested otherwise. Geography I would do but as there is no coursework it will affect my grade a fair amount as I do struggle with the exams.

what other things do universities look for ie work experience (I will be working with an MP for a week and with a law firm for two); extra-curricular activities (as in my first post); grades and so forth?
Just pick 4 decent A levels. Get an essay subject in there ofc.
andy12691
you might want to change Business to subjects like History, Philosophy or even Sociology. They are not only more respectful but also better for your course in my opinion.

Sociology is not more respected than Business, I'd say it's probably a tad worse.
Installation
Sociology is not more respected than Business, I'd say it's probably a tad worse.

In this case, yes it is. Doing both Economics and Business Studies is a ver bad idea.
andy12691
In this case, yes it is. Doing both Economics and Business Studies is a ver bad idea.

Ok fair enough. But I'd hardly say sociology is what I'd substitute.
lilGem
I'm pretty sure I will not be able to handle doing 5 ASs/A levels as much as I would love to. I'm pretty certain that history will remain as my fourth option unless a "better" subject would be suggested otherwise. Geography I would do but as there is no coursework it will affect my grade a fair amount as I do struggle with the exams.

what other things do universities look for ie work experience (I will be working with an MP for a week and with a law firm for two); extra-curricular activities (as in my first post); grades and so forth?

Ok then forget Geography i've looked and realised many people have a 5 a'level sorry.

Will you not be doing a 5th in your second year?
Reply 19
Sapphire_Eyes
Will you not be doing a 5th in your second year?

depending on my grades at the end of my first year I might take a 5th AS, and no need to be sorry :smile:

Latest