The Student Room Group

WSOp Crewman - a couple of questions

Evening all

i'm currently applying for WSOp Crewman, i've had my P2 presentation and have booked my filter interview for july 1st, this is my 2nd time at applying, i applied 2 years ago to be a pilot but got held back after the filter interview, so i took onboard the feedback from the debreif, reweighed what i wanted from the job and decided that WSOp Crewman was a much better job

anyway, my brother (an army engineer) is convinced that after the 10weeks at Cranwell, you do NOT have the acting Sergeant / Sergeant rank. I have only heard otherwise, could someone clarify this?

from what i've read, and asked this is how i see the training (for the WSOp Crewman)

Basic - 11 weeks - RAF Halton
Sergeants Training - 10 weeks - RAF Cranwell
then leaving with the acting sergeant rank
Streamed Training - 18-25 weeks depending on streaming

is this so?

any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Chris
Reply 1
Chrisdaman
Evening all

i'm currently applying for WSOp Crewman, i've had my P2 presentation and have booked my filter interview for july 1st, this is my 2nd time at applying, i applied 2 years ago to be a pilot but got held back after the filter interview, so i took onboard the feedback from the debreif, reweighed what i wanted from the job and decided that WSOp Crewman was a much better job

anyway, my brother (an army engineer) is convinced that after the 10weeks at Cranwell, you do NOT have the acting Sergeant / Sergeant rank. I have only heard otherwise, could someone clarify this?

from what i've read, and asked this is how i see the training (for the WSOp Crewman)

Streamed Training - 18-25 weeks depending on streaming

is this so?

any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Chris

That is correct, however I do not know how long the specific streamed training is.
Reply 2
This PowerPoint presentation explains all the training from that point for WSOps. The last slide is the one you want.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/no22traininggroup/rafcms/mediafiles/9C2CA119_1143_EC82_2E38786ECE6BE6FA.ppt
Reply 3
thank you very much guys
Reply 4
Hello,
The info you have there is wrong.
Just over a year ago that system changed. The Generic course was initially 24 weeks, 2 years later it was tinkered with and reduced to 19 weeks. The course then included a fair amount of flying.
It was decided that the fixed wing flying didn't benefit those who were then streamed Rotary. I'd argue that any flying training would aid someones airmanship and development. However, Dom flying is expensive and it was cut. The cut flying has now been added to the Fixed wing and Sensor course.
Generally about 70% of streamed WSOp students go Rotary, the RAF has saved a lot of money on Dom flying.

Cutting the flying reduced the course to 10 weeks. It ran for 10 months. It has since had 2 weeks added to it, as the course had been stripped back too much.

The training pipeline is now Halton (9 weeks i think), leave, NCAITC 10 weeks, 1 weeks leave, Moortrek 2 weeks, Aviation Medicine Training 1 week, 12 weeks Generic WSOp training. Then the students get streamed.

To go back to the first question. When the cadets graduate from the NCAITC they become Acting Sgts. They wear the rank of Aircrew Sgt, they are called Sgt except for formal reports and forms, where they are referred to as Acting Sgt.
They live in the Sgts' Mess, not the Acting Sgts' Mess
I hope this helps
Reply 5
Hi Folks, got back from oasc last week, applied for pilot however had a bit of a disaster in the spatial reasoning department, so its back to the drawing board! i now intend to apply for WSOp and wanted to clear a few things up! Firstly, as i sat the full battery of tests, (i scored 111 for WSOp/pass mark is 90), does this mean that i dont have to complete the tests again? if i quickly re-applied, do you think that i could squeeze onto another OASC in the not so distant future, the reason i wondered this was because seeing that so many people get the boot by 2pm on the 1st day, then surely theres room for others to jump on for the exercise phase and so on? cheers
The rule I'm aware of is that you can't sit the test within a year of taking it for the first time, but after that years gap you take it again, even if you've previously passed it before.
Reply 7
I was wondering whether or not i would have to sit them at all seeing that i passed it this time around?
Yeah you would if you reapply after a one year gap as the tests will have changed (this is from personnel experience, so it now may be different).

Latest