The Student Room Group

Studying and working full-time - is it possible ?

This year I'm hopefully starting my first year at the university. I chose a full-time course. I have applied for loans and bursaries, but it will not be enough - paying for accommodation will not be a problem then but I have to live somehow, right ? Books, food and life in general isn't free. I know that I will get some kind of support from my parents but I suppose that they will not be able to give me more then 200 pounds a month. Prices really differ from those in Poland.
I decided that I will have to work during my course. It is not a problem for me, I have worked many times in my life.
I only have doubts if it is possible to do so and manage working full-time (eight hours a day, from afternoon to late evening) with studying in the morning. Do you know anyone who does so ? Would it be too exhausting ? :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't reccomend such idea if you want to get a good degree or not get kicked out after couple of months
Reply 2
what would you recommend me then ? working at weekends ?
i have no idea what to do.
Reply 3
Well i can tell you that at my uni you aren't actually allowed to be employed full time while studying at undergrad or postgrad, they would chuck you off the course if they found out. As to whether its theoretically possible, well people have overcome larger problems against far greater odds, so yeah its possible, would be complete hell though. Do you like sleep?
I'm pretty sure you don't need to work full time to afford to study...
Its possible perhaps, but definitely not advisable! You wouldn't end up with a very good grade in your degree which would make the whole process pointless! However, theres nothing wrong with working weekends etc, but I wouldn't recommend working more than 20 hours a week to a student doing a full time degree. I did 12 hours work a week when I was at Uni, through from first to final year and I found that quite enough!
Reply 6
Hang on? Your bursaries/loans cover rent yes?
Get a p/t job at 12-20 hours per week and you'll earn enough to live on fairly comfortably provided you don't needlessly splash cash.
Weronka
what would you recommend me then ? working at weekends ?
i have no idea what to do.

200 pounds per month ? That means about 50 quid per week and assuming you get full financial support then you should be totally fine to be honest even without a job... unless you will study and live in London
How many times are you planning on going back home to Poland? Dont forget to factor in flights.
Most uni's set an arbitrary limit on the hours you work and will come down hard on you if you start struggling academically as a result. I work maybe 8 hours a week, but I'm in classes for 25-30hrs.
Anyway, 200/mth on top of paying rent should be enough to live off! Student living is supposed to be cheap - live within your means, don't work to have a flash lifestyle. Anyway, if you're working full time you aren't gonna have the time nor the energy to go out and spend it!
I am pretty sure you are not actually ALLOWED to work full time if you are studying full time.
But you can get a part time job.
Reply 11
I wouldn't advise a full time job, your work may suffer.
its near enough impossible, if you want to do well then by working full time you wont be able to. One of my friends is doing the same thing in her second year and its practically killing her.

also depending on what course you are doing, it will be unlikely that your classes will be all in the morning or all in the afternoon, most of the time they can be at anytimes during the week. £200 a month is more than enough if your parents are willing to help you out by giving you this. It would probably be best to work over the weekend if you need to.
That's just silly imo. Your work will suffer. Get a part-time job for the extra spending.
Reply 14
£50 a week is going to be much more than a lot of students :tongue:
I know one girl who worked 40 hours a week plus went to college for 3 days a week and funnily enough, she dropped out college after two months, because she was failing everything. definitely not worth it...
I hope you've been in Britain for 3 years without your parents, because otherwise you'll only get tuition fee loans.
Reply 16
Stupid idea. You're going to university to study, not work. What's the point of even going if you're going to flunk absolutely everything because you are working more hours than you are taught and have no time for sleep or assignments.

I don't know why you'd even have to work full time - at minimum wage working 8 hours a day you'd get like £280 a week, you don't need anywhere near that much at all. If you worked 8 hours a week you'd get like £40, which on top of the £50 a week your parents give you that be £90, which is plenty.
my ex worked full time through most of uni (not during exam periods though) and she got a 1st. So it is possible if you're doing a course you find easy.

But as everyone has said you don't need a full time wage. What are you going to spend £300-odd pounds on? Clothes, eating out regularly, going on holidays, owning a car? That's not how you do a student lifestyle.
AnonymousPenguin
I hope you've been in Britain for 3 years without your parents, because otherwise you'll only get tuition fee loans.

That's what I thought too... unless you lived here for more than 3 years, studying without help of let's say rich parents or with good income will be rather painful :rolleyes: That's what most universities are saying, you need to live 3 years in the UK prior to the course....
Reply 19
I'm sorry for a late respond.

I'm not sure if I will get any bursary but I heard that if I start working in the UK before the 1st of September (and work till the start of the academic year) I will be considered as a student equal to British citizens, what means that I would get the bursary.

I would use it for covering my room rent - about 80 pounds a week. If I don't get the bursary, it will be impossible for me to live there, because I wouldn't afford it. The tuition loan is for the tuition fee, not for the accomodation.

Latest

Trending

Trending