The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm at Warwick and I know someone who got accepted despite getting a 3 in the STEP. She had other factors counting towards her, though - she had an offer from Cambridge so her application would have looked good on paper. She also did STEP II and III which were harder papers.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
matt2k8
Are you doing AEA as well? A merit in AEA is easier than a 2 in STEP IMO, but if you didn't get entered for it it'd be pretty expensive or even impossible now.

Possible still, but expensive. I entered all my exams one day ( ONE DAY! :mad: ) past the deadline, meaning I had to pay double for all my FM modules and AEA. STEP was normal price. AEA cost me £80 :frown:
Reply 22
I'm only entered for STEP I, which I realise now is a massive mistake. Hopefully though I still should be okay, I can generally answer at least three questions and get the right answer at the end, and usually a couple of others. Unfortunately the deadline is far gone for STEP II, and I'm struggling to find any information at all on AEA, but I'm not hopeful.
aphilpotts
I'm only entered for STEP I, which I realise now is a massive mistake. Hopefully though I still should be okay, I can generally answer at least three questions and get the right answer at the end, and usually a couple of others. Unfortunately the deadline is far gone for STEP II, and I'm struggling to find any information at all on AEA, but I'm not hopeful.

Ask your exams officer. He/She fills out a Late Entry form, you pay double the cost (£80 for AEA) and you sit the exam. Easy peasy :h:
Reply 24
ziedj
Possible still, but expensive. I entered all my exams one day ( ONE DAY! :mad: ) past the deadline, meaning I had to pay double for all my FM modules and AEA. STEP was normal price. AEA cost me £80 :frown:

Your school made you pay? When I entered for AEA I did it past the deadline but they still didn't charge me anything.
Reply 25
I'll definitely give it a go. Does anybody know when the AEA exam is? Obviously I've got no chance if I miss the actual exam date :s-smilie: Cheers
ttoby
Your school made you pay? When I entered for AEA I did it past the deadline but they still didn't charge me anything.

I don't go to school (gap yah), I pay for all my exams.
aphilpotts
I'll definitely give it a go. Does anybody know when the AEA exam is? Obviously I've got no chance if I miss the actual exam date :s-smilie: Cheers

30th June, in the morning.
Reply 28
Thanks, first thing tomorrow I'll be on the phone to the school. Meanwhile, I think an evening of revision is in order :biggrin:
I've got a booklet here saying the final date for late STEP entries was 28th May :frown:. But if someone else at your centre is doing either STEP II or AEA then I can't see why you won't be able to do it somehow (with normal A-level modules you can just turn up on the day if papers are there - I imagine it'll be the same with AEA but maybe not STEP)
matt2k8
I've got a booklet here saying the final date for late STEP entries was 28th May :frown:. But if someone else at your centre is doing either STEP II or AEA then I can't see why you won't be able to do it somehow (with normal A-level modules you can just turn up on the day if papers are there - I imagine it'll be the same with AEA but maybe not STEP)

Yeah but AEA is, for the purpose of booking it, a "normal" Edexcel maths exam, so it's just like entering for anything else, and Edexcel late entry rules apply. Let's face it, if Edexcel can make another £80 from shipping some guy a 4 page booklet, they'll do it. In fact they probably ask the school to pay the postage too.

What else is in this booklet though?
ziedj
Yeah but AEA is, for the purpose of booking it, a "normal" Edexcel maths exam, so it's just like entering for anything else, and Edexcel late entry rules apply. Let's face it, if Edexcel can make another £80 from shipping some guy a 4 page booklet, they'll do it. In fact they probably ask the school to pay the postage too.

What else is in this booklet though?

It's just a little thing about what STEP is, when the exams are, how much it is to enter and a few key dates for like when entries close etc.
ttoby
I'm at Warwick and I know someone who got accepted despite getting a 3 in the STEP. She had other factors counting towards her, though - she had an offer from Cambridge so her application would have looked good on paper. She also did STEP II and III which were harder papers.

That's because Warwick undershot this year because significantly fewer people achieved the 2 in STEP I. They admitted about 5-10 this year.

But the year before they oversubscribed by a lot (there are 324 in second year whereas only 280 or so in first year at the moment - and that doesn't include the people who dropped out from the second year after the September resits).

Very much depends on the STEP grade boundary. And luck. You need a 3 in STEP minimum (Us in STEP/AEA won't do at all). People got in last year with a 3 in STEP I [just in case you thought you needed to get a minimum of a 3 in STEP II to have any chance]. Remember there will be over 300 others who fail to make the grade with you, competing for a few places, if any. Doing AEA could be your saving grace.
Reply 33
matt2k8
But if someone else at your centre is doing either STEP II or AEA then I can't see why you won't be able to do it somehow (with normal A-level modules you can just turn up on the day if papers are there - I imagine it'll be the same with AEA but maybe not STEP)

Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my school who's doing maths at uni, so not much hope there, but still AEA might let me do it to scrounge some pennies out of me, I am completely broke though, so I don't know how that'd work

Still though, this is a back up plan, its not the end of the world if I can't sit it because I'm still pretty sure I should get at least a 2 in STEP I, hopefully a 1, based on practise papers, I just want to cover all the bases though.

Thanks for the advice though, its been a lot of help :smile:
Reply 34
"Question 8

Each day, I choose at random between my brown trousers, my grey trousers and my expensive but
fashionable designer jeans. Also in my wardrobe, I have a black silk tie, a rather smart brown and
fawn polka-dot tie, my regimental tie, and an elegant powder-blue cravat which I was given for
Christmas. With my brown or grey trousers, I choose ties (including the cravat) at random, except
of course that I don’t wear the cravat with the brown trousers or the polka-dot tie with the grey
trousers. With the jeans, the choice depends on whether it is Sunday or one of the six weekdays:
on weekdays, half the time I wear a cream-coloured sweat-shirt with E = mc2 on the front and no
tie; otherwise, and on Sundays (when naturally I always wear a tie), I just pick at random from my
four ties.
This morning, I received through the post a compromising photograph of myself. I often receive
such photographs and they are equally likely to have been taken on any day of the week. However,
in this particular photograph, I am wearing my black silk tie. Show that, on the basis of this
information, the probability that the photograph was taken on Sunday is 11/68.
I should have mentioned that on Mondays I lecture on calculus and I therefore always wear my jeans
(to make the lectures seem easier to understand). Find, on the basis of the complete information,
the probability that the photograph was taken on Sunday."

Hmm is this a question a joke do we think?
aphilpotts
"Question 8

Each day, I choose at random between my brown trousers, my grey trousers and my expensive but
fashionable designer jeans. Also in my wardrobe, I have a black silk tie, a rather smart brown and
fawn polka-dot tie, my regimental tie, and an elegant powder-blue cravat which I was given for
Christmas. With my brown or grey trousers, I choose ties (including the cravat) at random, except
of course that I don’t wear the cravat with the brown trousers or the polka-dot tie with the grey
trousers. With the jeans, the choice depends on whether it is Sunday or one of the six weekdays:
on weekdays, half the time I wear a cream-coloured sweat-shirt with E = mc2 on the front and no
tie; otherwise, and on Sundays (when naturally I always wear a tie), I just pick at random from my
four ties.
This morning, I received through the post a compromising photograph of myself. I often receive
such photographs and they are equally likely to have been taken on any day of the week. However,
in this particular photograph, I am wearing my black silk tie. Show that, on the basis of this
information, the probability that the photograph was taken on Sunday is 11/68.
I should have mentioned that on Mondays I lecture on calculus and I therefore always wear my jeans
(to make the lectures seem easier to understand). Find, on the basis of the complete information,
the probability that the photograph was taken on Sunday."

Hmm is this a question a joke do we think?

My favourite question is one about the definition of crusty bread.
Reply 36
TheTallOne
My favourite question is one about the definition of crusty bread.

is that the one about the surface area and slices? I remember looking at that and thinking wtf, I should do that..

Latest