The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Omg... i had revised SO much... did EVERY single past paper... Vectors i think i got full marks.. but MVC.. got part one and two, then just thought g(x,y,z)=0, ok stationary points. And ended up with z=0 and subbed into dg/dx n dg/dy but couldnt simplify! stupid exponential. THEN i hoped markov chains would be better. I had probability vector is (1,0,0,0) since it said it started with A. But my transition vector was like the fail on the top line so 0.16, B, C, 1 (can't remember B and C) then the rest for D was just 0, 0, 0 and the rest for A, B and C... well i did for example 1-0.16 which is 0.84 then divided by 3 to get 0.28... but if i got the transition matrix wrong will i get any method marks for the rest of the question. Because say when it asked for week 7 i did P^6 X PV.... -cries-... i need a B but that was HORRIBLE! Please make FP2 be better on friday -sobs more- :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Anyone else think the grade boundaries are gonna be significantly lower?
i was just about to get the hang of fp2, then i saw this thread and my head exploded XD
Reply 22
Chicken777799
Omg... i had revised SO much... did EVERY single past paper... Vectors i think i got full marks.. but MVC.. got part one and two, then just thought g(x,y,z)=0, ok stationary points. And ended up with z=0 and subbed into dg/dx n dg/dy but couldnt simplify! stupid exponential. THEN i hoped markov chains would be better. I had probability vector is (1,0,0,0) since it said it started with A. But my transition vector was like the fail on the top line so 0.16, B, C, 1 (can't remember B and C) then the rest for D was just 0, 0, 0 and the rest for A, B and C... well i did for example 1-0.16 which is 0.84 then divided by 3 to get 0.28... but if i got the transition matrix wrong will i get any method marks for the rest of the question. Because say when it asked for week 7 i did P^6 X PV.... -cries-... i need a B but that was HORRIBLE! Please make FP2 be better on friday -sobs more- :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Anyone else think the grade boundaries are gonna be significantly lower?

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you get the transition matrix. Markov chains is supposed to be my BEST OPTION DAMN!

0.28 0.24 0.19 1
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
0.16 0.24 0.43 0

Everything else didn't seem to work :frown: ? I didn't even have time to finish q7 in MVC.
Reply 23
God that was really hard for me.

I (stupidly) thought that I should do Markov Chains first because (for some reason) when I did past papers I always ran out of time so I rushed through the EASY Markov Chains questions in the past paper, so I thought "Hey, let's do Markov Chains first since it's so easy, free 22-24 marks" until this paper came along and told me gtfo.

So I was sitting there trying to write my transition matrix down, the wording was totally different to previous papers, those sneaky bastards lol, but I managed to pull through but I had wasted SO MUCH TIME.

Therefore I ended up rushing through Vectors & Multivariable Calculus. I also thought Multivariable Calculus was weirdly hard, I usually find the questions easy but I found myself stuck on the last few parts of that question.

For the vectors, I couldn't find p, I didn't have much time left so my mind just went blank & started going into panick mode "Omg this paper was so **** how could they do this, omg I won't be able to get my A let alone A*"

God I hope FP2 is good.

C4 was really hot, I think I'll get 94%+ or so.
Also I was just dead tired through the FP3 exam, at some points I really couldn't give a **** lol.
May I just ask a dead quick question, did the lines meet when P=5? If someone says yes, I will be VERY happy
Reply 25
I did vectors, MVC and groups. Found Vectors and groups were fine apart from finding subgroup for {1,-1,e^(pi/3),e^(-pi/3),...} and the last part asking for the subgroup which is isomorphic to {1,-1,e^(pi/3),e^(-pi/3),...}. Couldn't do anymore on MVC after part 3. :frown:
i'll be glad if i can get a B. Hopefully, i didn't make any silly mistakes.
Reply 26
foolsihboy
May I just ask a dead quick question, did the lines meet when P=5? If someone says yes, I will be VERY happy

I was very happy with Vectors and I did get that answer :P

I hated the markov chains question.
Reply 27
Summerdays
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you get the transition matrix. Markov chains is supposed to be my BEST OPTION DAMN!

0.28 0.24 0.19 1
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
0.16 0.24 0.43 0

Everything else didn't seem to work :frown: ? I didn't even have time to finish q7 in MVC.

-----------

To the above, My transition matrix (I think) looked like this:

0.16 0...

God I can't remember, but I know it didn't look like yours =\, hmm I'm worried now.

If I remember correctly, If the box thing was labelled A B C & if it passed this 'test' then it would be relabelled B C D respectively.
If it failed it would be relabelled A.

They said the chances of A FAILING was x, B failing y, C failing z. If the box was labelled D then it was relabelled A.

So I thought it was:

Although there was a weird question in the Markov Chains I didn't get. They used a term to which didn't exist in my dictionary.
I'm thinking it was a wise decision that I did NOT choose the Markov question now after reading this thread. I didn't even turn over the page until I'd finished the exam, only looked at Vectors MVC and diff geom.
Reply 29
Abmanju
-----------

To the above, My transition matrix (I think) looked like this:

0.16 0...

God I can't remember, but I know it didn't look like yours =\, hmm I'm worried now.

If I remember correctly, If the box thing was labelled A B C & if it passed this 'test' then it would be relabelled B C D respectively.
If it failed it would be relabelled A.

They said the chances of A FAILING was x, B failing y, C failing z. If the box was labelled D then it was relabelled A.

So I thought it was:

Although there was a weird question in the Markov Chains I didn't get. They used a term to which didn't exist in my dictionary.

You are probably right actually. I was very confused with how to go about even writing the transition matrix.

What do you guys believe the grade boundaries will be?
Summerdays

0.28 0.24 0.19 1
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
0.16 0.24 0.43 0

-sighs hard- precisely what i got, except i had:
0.16 0.24 0.43 1
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
0.28 0.24 0.19 0
:frown: :frown: ... I thought it made sense to me... but i was thinking "well you have 0.16 so since it says goes to B, C and D respectively then split it"... i didn't understand why it wouldn't go to C and D if it was labelled B... -sighs harder- what a load of crap + yeah to the other dude i totally couldn't even go past part 3 on MVC... i couldn't get the stationary points though i know i got Grad G to be the same as the normal line after simplifying and multiplying by -1. Do you get method marks throughout the markov chain question even if it turns out that i am wrong about the transition matrix? I mean if you get the transition matrix wrong the whole thing will be wrong but surely you get method marks no? + yeah grade boundaries anyone? I don't think ANYONE did extra ordinarily well for markov chains and MVC. + me and my mate are the only 2 people in the whole school doing further maths and we were almost in tears when we came outta there lol + yes it is p=5... i'm sure i got full marks in the vector question, though they said SHOW P=5 and i just kinda stated it but after the simultaneous equations to get landa and mu i kinda got p=5 anyway. I'm annoyed because looking at the past 8 years of june papers MVC changed dramatically in this paper... nothing about "line is parallel to the tangent ax+by+cz+d = e".... ANNOYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -fumes madly-:mad: :mad:
Reply 31
I did get p=5 in the last part of Vectors:smile:
another question, not that it makes much difference now but, did the lines meet at (17,15,13) or something similar. Not really quite sure of myself alot of the time with vectors?
Reply 33
I proved it was p = 5 because the shortest distance worked out from the previous part had to equal zero, and then you go from there. I really liked that question. But MVC and Markov chains was very, very difficult. I am not surprised people had troubles with those questions. MEI changed things to much in one year; I know FP3 is suppose to be challenging but that was a bit too weird. Hopefully we should get method marks because that Markov chains question was too weird, Why couldn't they just tell us the probabilities in a more direct way, that way there's more of a chance for students to actually progress through the questions. The grade boundaries should (hopefully) be low. How low is another question though. Hopefully anything between 60-70%, that would be very nice.
Reply 34
foolsihboy
another question, not that it makes much difference now but, did the lines meet at (17,15,13) or something similar. Not really quite sure of myself alot of the time with vectors?

I got that :biggrin:. BTW, how have you been finding additional FM? How do you find S4 and M4 so far?
Summerdays
I got that :biggrin:. BTW, how have you been finding additional FM? How do you find S4 and M4 so far?

YES! GET IN! Haha.

Erm, well my school tried to stop me from doing it so I had to pay for late entry fees by the time they finally caved in :mad: . Not really been paying much attention really, focussing more on STEP. Don't need the AFM so it's more of a hobby rather than a serious thing for me... Just hoping it comes back to me in the exam.
What about you?
Reply 36
I find S4 quite hard, but M4 is okay, I just need to do a bit more questions between now and the exam. Congratulations for getting into Trinity to study maths btw. Such a great opportunity :biggrin:
Summerdays
I find S4 quite hard, but M4 is okay, I just need to do a bit more questions between now and the exam. Congratulations for getting into Trinity to study maths btw. Such a great opportunity :biggrin:

At the risk of going off topic, I will make this the last I post that's not about FP3 today: "thanks, I've still got all the hard work infront of me to get in though, and beginning to seriously doubt myself" and "Relax, if you're good enough to take AFM, then you'll ace M4 and S4 :smile:. They're easy compared to this beast (FP3)."

Back on topic. Did anyone open the paper, and immediately think s*** upon seeing an unknown in the vectors question, and exponentials in question 2? It was my first thought.
Reply 38
foolsihboy

Back on topic. Did anyone open the paper, and immediately think s*** upon seeing an unknown in the vectors question, and exponentials in question 2? It was my first thought.

Pretty much, I was quite scared. But Markov chains truly takes the whole damn cake.
Summerdays
I proved it was p = 5 because the shortest distance worked out from the previous part had to equal zero, and then you go from there. I really liked that question. But MVC and Markov chains was very, very difficult. I am not surprised people had troubles with those questions. MEI changed things to much in one year; I know FP3 is suppose to be challenging but that was a bit too weird. Hopefully we should get method marks because that Markov chains question was too weird, Why couldn't they just tell us the probabilities in a more direct way, that way there's more of a chance for students to actually progress through the questions. The grade boundaries should (hopefully) be low. How low is another question though. Hopefully anything between 60-70%, that would be very nice.

lol see i just put p=5 cos i looked in the previous part and that had to make it equal to zero lol, just i said p=5 xD + it was SO annoying, i used to love markov chains, it was my favourite, my best option and now i really hate it because as you said they did not do it in a direct way enough... i have always said its bad enough actually having to learn fp3 never mind wording the question in a way that you have to struggle to understand what an earth its takling about. 60-70% for what? an A? lol i'd be laughing haha + you take M4 and S4? :eek: :eek: lol retaking M1 and S2 next week... got 2 C's which i was really unhappy about, 1 mark off B's ¬_¬ + anyone taking FP2? I always ace matrices and not too shabby with hyperbolic functions but drawing graphs for polar co-ords and some of complex numbers is just a bit... hard. Any advice? + what do others think of the grade boundaries? :o:

Latest