The Student Room Group

Exceedingly confused!

Okay, I've just started college and I'm uber-confused with this University thing.

I'm doing A-Levels and I want to go onto do Psychology @ University. What I want to know is..

1. When/How do I apply?
2. How do you know if you've got in?
3. What's under-graduate, post-graduate etc...
4. How long is the course, how much are university fee's, where do you stay etc...
5. What are the best uni's for psychology?

Sorry but confused! Lol, thanks!
Reply 1
Acting_Fr3ak
Okay, I've just started college and I'm uber-confused with this University thing.

I'm doing A-Levels and I want to go onto do Psychology @ University. What I want to know is..

1. When/How do I apply?
2. How do you know if you've got in?
3. What's under-graduate, post-graduate etc...
4. How long is the course, how much are university fee's, where do you stay etc...
5. What are the best uni's for psychology?

Sorry but confused! Lol, thanks!

1. You will apply at the beginning of your second year at 6th form/college. That is, your A2 year/

2. ONce you;ve applied to your 6 unis, you'll wait around a bit and then you'll be sent letters telling you whether or not you have an offer of study there, and what grades you need to get in. You then (usually) accept one firm offer (where you really want to go) and one insurance offer, with lower grades in case you mess up in your exams so you can still go to uni that year.

3. Undergraduate is you - anyone who hasn't already got a degree. Post graduate is someone who already has at least one degree. Mature students (I think) are like UGs but v old (i.e. 30 odd). Studentys who've done a degree in micro-biology or something in order to get onto a medical course afterwards also count as undergrads I think.

4. Most courses are 3 years long, some are four/have a year out in industry/abroad - there is a wide variety. This will definitely be explained in detail in your prospectuses (which you can get through your college when you begin to apply, direct from the unis, or on HE days). Fees are going to be £3000/year when you go I think. You pay nothing in fees up front, and have to start paying them back after you reach a certain income threshold after you graduate. Where you'll live depends on the university. The majority of first year UG students will live in halls of residence or student houses. Basically accommodation organised and provided (and usually owned) by the university. Small rooms, usually shared kitchen if selfcatering and usually shared bathroom with around 4/5 other people. Halls of residence are usually organised into "flats" or "floors" of around 6 people. Some halls of residence will be catered - so you go to get your meals from the dining room at set times. Halls may be on a campus, in the city if it's a city uni, or a distance away from the uni buildings - but always with good transport links.

5. There are lots and lots of different guides for which unis are best for various courses. They take into account lots of facctors like assessed teahcing quality - typical A level entry requirements, contribution to research by the uni etc. Be wary - as not all of these things will be relevant to how good the uni is in terms of your learning. Also balance the reputation/status of the uni with where you think you would enjoy living for 3 or more years of your life! A popular guide is the Times one:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html

Another valuable resources is this very site - as you may know there are subforums for every uni so you can go in there and ask whatever questions you feel like!

hope that helped :smile:
Reply 2
i didnt know anything about how to apply for uni, until i went back to school lol...so im sure they will talk to you about it all during maybe tutor periods and stuff.
TKR
Mature students (I think) are like UGs but v old (i.e. 30 odd).

A mature student is someone 21yo or over…not 30!!
Reply 4
and over 30 is not v old! :smile:
Reply 5
martynwilliams

And is an undergrad apparently it doesn't apply to postgrads (or I would be a mature student :frown: )
Reply 6
martynwilliams

haha indeed! i'm one year off starting as a mature student...but like..why do they differentiate, do they get anything different?!
You don't really need to start worrying about this yet if you are only in yr12, unless you want to be super organised. Believe me, you'll be fed up to the back teeth of hearing about the whole sorry mess when you get into yr13.
Reply 8
PQ

A student with a undergraduate degree who then gets onto a medicine degree is still an undergraduate (albeit one who has graduated and has a degree) as medicine degrees (even the graduate entry ones) are undergraduate courses.

i was right! *is proud*

Latest

Trending

Trending