The Student Room Group

iron deficiency and SCUBA diving

i had a blood test a few weeks ago, and it turned out i had iron deficiency aneamia. i've been given iron tablets to sort out the problem, which i'm meant to take for six weeks.

already, i will have to stop the treatment early because im going to S. Africa and i've got to take antimalarials (can't take iron tablets and these antimalarials together)

in South Africa, i'm supposed to be going SCUBA diving. will this be a problem and would i be right to tell my tutor and/or dive instructor?
Reply 1
Hey scuba diving in South Africa...that sounds AMAZING!
I would tell your dive instructor to be on the safe side so he/she can keep an eye out whilst on the dive and possibly keep to a shallower depth? I spose it depends aswell if your getitng the symptoms like dizzyness etc...that could be dangerous so yeah definatley say something!
Reply 2

Can I Dive With Anemia?

I have been diagnosed with a genetic type of anemia in which the part of my red blood cells that carries oxygen is abnormally small. This condition didn't stop me from pursuing a basic dive certification at the end of last summer. Now, I am gearing up for a season of diving. Is there any reason that I should be concerned about the anemia when I dive? Are there any precautions I need to take? Or, heaven forbid, should I find a new hobby?
via e-mail

People with anemia, whatever the type, really have an oxygen-carrying problem. You should not dive if the ability of the blood to transport oxygen and off-load carbon dioxide is compromised in any way. You can take a simple blood test to determine your hemoglobin level. If the level is above 13 grams, then it's OK to dive. Diving when your hemoglobin level is below 13 grams puts you at risk of hypoxia and loss of consciousness while under water, which could lead to drowning.

Source: http://www.scubadiving.com/training/2006/10/diving-without-a-leg-to-stand-on

You should inform your dive instructor that you have iron deficient anaemia. It's important as it could lead to complications underwater. Ultimately it'll be up to them whether they allow you to dive or not, they might require results from a recent blood test showing that you're no longer at risk.
Reply 3
fire2burn
You should inform your dive instructor that you have iron deficient anaemia. It's important as it could lead to complications underwater. Ultimately it'll be up to them whether they allow you to dive or not, they might require results from a recent blood test showing that you're no longer at risk.

thanks everyone for all your advice :smile:
i will be having another blood test before i leave, and will ask them to let me know of the result so that i know for sure that i'm safe to dive

pandawan_x
that sounds AMAZING!

i know :biggrin: just hoping i'm healthy enough haha!!!
Best bet is to ask someone from uksdmc (if you google that, there is a list of diving doctors who have a special interest in problems relating to diving) - you should be able to give them a ring and have a quick chat about what the best course of action is.
Do tell your instructor, but they (almost certainly) won't be medically trained and will want to know that a diving doc is happy you are safe to dive.

G

Latest