The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
paha, shouldve really done a lot more before now!
ah well, enough procrastination, good luck for tomorrow everyone
After lookign at the June 2009 [first time i did it] and the Jan 2010 resit of F212 paper..

Jan was wayyyyyyyyy easier..
now cos OCR really are unpredictable you dont know what will happen..

i've still gotta cram immune system.. vaccines and drugs..smoking..diseases...biodiversity..and conservation all by the end of today..

is there any point in learning the DNA stuff? or Biochemistry stuff?

whats people's opiniions on the long answer question to come up..?
Reply 22
polzeath.sunset
too much maths!
i find enzymes ok, cuz humany stuff interests me...but biodiversity (and that whole section) is too boring *yawn*
quick question: do we have to know about the roles scientists played in finding out about dna, like Chargaff and Griffiths etc?
and, do we have to know what the organic bases look like, like adenine is a ring like structure etc?

I don't think we need to know the roles of scientists, i haven't seen it on the specification, and we haven't been taught it.

I just think we need to know that adenine and guanine are purines and uracil, cytosine and thymine are pyrimidines.
Reply 23
uer23
Imagine what was running through our minds about being the first ones to do this papers. meh that was a horrible paper when we first done it in June 2009, lot's of people thought they messed up after they came out of the exam room, got an A on my retake. Just learn everything thoroughly, OCR can be unpredictable.

I took that one in June 09 too! Sucks being the first year on a new spec... only the specimen paper to revise from and everyone knows how unreliable specimen papers are!
I got a C in June in this paper (predicted an A :frown:) as to be honest I underestimated how 'How Science Works'-y this paper would be. Knew all the stuff but not so great at noticing links where it's been applied differently, if that makes any sense?!
Got an A in my retake too :smile:
OCR unpredictable... never. Seals, anyone?! :p:

All you guys should hopefully be a bit better off with the couple extra papers to revise from... I know it would be great if there were more but I would have loved to have just one the first time I did it!
Haha good luck everyone :smile:
HELPME-ology
After lookign at the June 2009 [first time i did it] and the Jan 2010 resit of F212 paper..

Jan was wayyyyyyyyy easier..
now cos OCR really are unpredictable you dont know what will happen..

i've still gotta cram immune system.. vaccines and drugs..smoking..diseases...biodiversity..and conservation all by the end of today..

is there any point in learning the DNA stuff? or Biochemistry stuff?

whats people's opiniions on the long answer question to come up..?

I hate OCR! In the Janurary exam I'm sure it was the most obscure things that they asked about!

For the long question I was thinking perhaps diseases related to smoking or maybe something to do with water because it was immune system last year. I really really hope it's not anything to do with biodiversity or any of that topic.
franchango
I underestimated how 'How Science Works'-y this paper would be. Knew all the stuff but not so great at noticing links where it's been applied differently, if that makes any sense?!
G

Do you mean those green boxes? I haven't really done much of them at all. Do you think it's worth having a good look through them?
Reply 26
Eeep, I'm nervous... two exams tomorrow, this one and Lit, but hopefully I've done enough for Biology... *hopefully*

Good Luck everyone :smile:
Reply 27
The June 2009 had a last Q based on smoking, about 10 marks based on smoking/damage/symptoms etc., and another 9 based on a graph/results of a smoker/non-smoker study.

I haven't seen a lot on Malaria/TB/HIV in the past papers though.
Reply 28
Well after the Heart + Lung cycle thingy being one of the largest bits on the Module one exam, and hardly anything coming up on the January Exam, I'm going to apply that situation to Biodiveristy. Lets hope for a very limited amount! Lots on how bad smoking is :biggrin:
Reply 29
Nymthae
The June 2009 had a last Q based on smoking, about 10 marks based on it, and another 9 based on a graph/results of a smoker/non-smoker study.

Oooh same, maybe that's something to revise!! I don't mind that it's quite interesting stuff :yep:
Reply 30
I hope traps/methods for catching animals comes up... Hit tree with stick - catch falling things on white sheet:smile: - this is like the peak of my scientifical biology knowledge :smile:
Reply 31
J00100
I hope traps/methods for catching animals comes up... Hit tree with stick - catch falling things on white sheet:smile: - this is like the peak of my scientifical biology knowledge :smile:

This :yep:
J00100
I don't think we need to know the roles of scientists, i haven't seen it on the specification, and we haven't been taught it.

I just think we need to know that adenine and guanine are purines and uracil, cytosine and thymine are pyrimidines.

didnt know that, but now i do - thankss :biggrin:
wasnt the specimen paper almost entirely biodiversity :/
maybe they'll forget to put that whole part in, and only make it about human stuff - thatd be good (like chemistry - no green!)
im retaking it, so at least ive got a c in it if i screw it up :yep:
but yeah im good on everything mostly, apart from the stuff on the immune system, like how the t an b cells work, but i do get the primary and secondary responses, so if anyone could help me on the t and b cells that would be great :biggrin:
Reply 34
polzeath.sunset
maybe they'll forget to put that whole part in, and only make it about human stuff - thatd be good (like chemistry - no green!)

Couldn't agree more!!!!
Reply 35
polzeath.sunset

I know there was one paper almost filled with biodiversity, about conservation and the characteristics of the 5 kingdoms, and stuff like that... so maybe they will leave it all out... i really hope the long questions are how dna is replicated, or about transcription and translation
Reply 36
amiejade-x
im retaking it, so at least ive got a c in it if i screw it up :yep:
but yeah im good on everything mostly, apart from the stuff on the immune system, like how the t an b cells work, but i do get the primary and secondary responses, so if anyone could help me on the t and b cells that would be great :biggrin:

T-cells - They recognise foreign antigens, and clonal selection occurs, followed by clonal expansion. The differentiate into T-Helper and T-Killer. T-Killer cells pretty much Kill the pathogens, inject H2O2 into them. T-Helper cells release cytokines which stimulates the B-cells to clonal selection followed by clonal expansion and differentiate into plasma cells and memory cells. Plasma cells make antibodies. Memory cells stay for some long lasting good old memory. (Useful for secondary responses!)
Hope that helps!
BeekieBoo
Couldn't agree more!!!!

haha, i was really excited - we got taught green chem in a week. and they missed half it out :/
Should I start revising now? :s-smilie:
I've been doing Chem and kind of let Bio slip. :s-smilie:
Nymthae
The June 2009 had a last Q based on smoking, about 10 marks based on smoking/damage/symptoms etc., and another 9 based on a graph/results of a smoker/non-smoker study.

COuld be something on HIV Lifecycle. I wonder how else they could ask about those diseases in a long question though?

Latest

Trending

Trending