The Student Room Group

As Aqa Psychology Unit 2 Revision June 10th!!!

Scroll to see replies

Do we need to learn the variations of Milgrams original study?
my teacher went out of her way to get me a revision guide in her lunch break even tho i never go to lessons lol. everyone who started revising today make sure you cover everything in abnormality as that is the most difficult part. you can waffle on social psychology if you know the basics..well that's what i think.
I find social psychology the hardest :o:, I wish the exam was in the afternoon though, so I could go over stuff in the morning!
Original post by i_&#9829
Do we need to learn the variations of Milgrams original study?

I think a very brief outline like 'the experiment was repeated in a run down office where obedience was lower' would suffice, just the fact that different conditions had different findings is what we need to know.
rebeccabroadbent
its a lovely hour and a half paper with i think 100 marks?:indiff: :shot:

Isn't it 72?
aqibjahangir
my teacher went out of her way to get me a revision guide in her lunch break even tho i never go to lessons lol. everyone who started revising today make sure you cover everything in abnormality as that is the most difficult part. you can waffle on social psychology if you know the basics..well that's what i think.

I've lost my behavioural booklet :frown: Does anyone have any notes? I'm panicking, and I haven't gone over abnormality yet, I've been sitting here panicking, I don't know where to start!!!!!!!!!!
PSYA2 january 2009, anyone know which section the 12 marker was in?
Reply 87
letsdothetimewarpagain
PSYA2 january 2009, anyone know which section the 12 marker was in?

The 12 marker for that paper was outline and evaluate the biological approach to psychopathology
Reply 88
Happilyme
How would you answer it?
>Definition
>weakness
>stregth
>treatment ie drugs or ect
>strenghts + weaknesses of those?

or
>Definition
>stregth
>weakness
>Stregth
>weakness

Because I'm confused about whether or not to add the treatment when doing the 12 marker on the explanations to abnormal behaviour.
because my teacher said don't talk about the treatment, just mainly the approach or something like that but i've forgotten what she said and ive gotten confused :no:

The second one :smile: Just definition, how it explains abnormal behaviour and then the strengths and weaknesses of it :smile:
When you have to describe and evaluate the explanation dont mention the treatments, chances are we may even get a 12 marker on the treatments of abnormality :s-smilie: so in a sense, its like another whole topic :smile:
Eclipse93
Previous papers had a total of 72 marks but I don't know if they're changing this..

The main social psychology research studies are:
Sherif
Asch
Clark
Zimbardo
Milgram
Gamson

These were the only main ones highlighted in the AQA book but ofcourse there are other little studies you could throw in for extra credit.

i know smiths one aswell which is the cross cultral one for aschs study but whats the gamson and clarke one again :eek:
how would people recommend i answer 8/10/12 mark questions.

It will be half and half a01 a02 right?

For example a previous question is: Outline and evaluate one or more explanations of why people obey. (12 marks)

For this would it be right to outline the reasons, ie gradual commitment, agentic shift, role of buffers, and then evaluate it.

Im not sure how much they are expecting for the 6 outline, 6 evaluation marks can anyone help? and what would ideas would they be looking for to evaluate it? Thanks

actually if i was to identify 2 points, justify it with evidence and elaborate on them both would that be enough for 6 marks of evaluation?
Kristiipop
The 12 marker for that paper was outline and evaluate the biological approach to psychopathology

Awesome, although not so awesome that the 12 marker is likely to be stress :nothing:
LettersFromTheSky
I think a very brief outline like 'the experiment was repeated in a run down office where obedience was lower' would suffice, just the fact that different conditions had different findings is what we need to know.

Thanks.
mehhh.....hi.
Isn't it 72?

Oh sorry yeah its out of 72, i think both papers are out of 72 and they times it by 1.5 to get it out of 300 overall so we would have to get 240 to get an A over all, it was 100 on some other paper from somereason but yeah its deffo out of 72 sorry for confusion guys :rolleyes: i look up too much of these things :yep:
Reply 94
letsdothetimewarpagain
Awesome, although not so awesome that the 12 marker is likely to be stress :nothing:

i thought the same thing :frown: im fine if it's about the SAM HPA pathways etc but if it's going to be something that wants be to talk about natural and specific immunity...im not going to do well :frown:
I wouldn't mind it to be workplace stress though
what studies do we have to learn for social influence??? i only know the following:

milgrams
asch
smiths
zimbardo stanford prison
sherif

thats it but WHAT IS THE CLARKE AND GAMSON 1? I cant find it
Reply 96
aimoid
arrrgh, I hope not, minority influence is not one of my errr stronger points. I hope none come up about social change!! :s-smilie:

there was a question on social change in the January paper last year, so it's probably unlikely to come up again yet, as they haven't covered the rest on the syllabus in exams yet.

i'm absolutely petrified for this exam. i took it in June last year, and died a gruesome death. they asked all of the questions that i didn't know the answers to ¬_¬
mehhh.....hi.
I've lost my behavioural booklet :frown: Does anyone have any notes? I'm panicking, and I haven't gone over abnormality yet, I've been sitting here panicking, I don't know where to start!!!!!!!!!!

The behavioural model of abnormality:
The emphasis for behaviourist psychology is not on the workings of the mind, personality or the history of an individual, but purely on observable and measurable behaviour.
The behaviour model believes that what can be learned can be unlearned, which in turn suggests a method of treatment and ultimate cure for abnormal conditions.

Maladaptive learning takes place through classical conditioning, operate conditioning or social learning. This is a 'surface' explanation, in that it does not consider biological or emotional factors.

- Classical conditioning works on reflec actions where a neutral stimulus acquires the properties of another stimulus through association. It has been claimed that mental disorders such as phobias can be explained in this manner.
- Operate conditioning occurs when a new response is learned through reinforcement (reward).The reinforcement increases the likelihood that the new response will be repeated. For example, anxiety could be reinforced by attention and empathy from others.
- Social learning theroy explains the formation of abnormal behaviour as occuring by vicarious learning. The process involves observation and imitation of a role model, who is reinforced (rewarded) for their behaviour.

phheww, I cba to write out an evaluation...Hope this helps anyhow :p:
Reply 98
I knew bits and bobs about each section but only started to revise fully today... Still on stress :colondollar:

I've grasped the concept about the biological stuff about stress (SAM, HPA axis etc) as well as how stress can cause CHD and how it affects the immune system. Memorised quite a few researches as I went along. Currently on workplace stress (Which shouldn't be too hard I hope) and then the treatment of stress.

Abnormality is by far my weakest part with me only knowing the behavioural therapy (Classical, Operant, SLT etc) and a little bit about Frued's Psychodynamic theory (Mainly psychosexual :biggrin:)

Social is probably my strongest point in unit 2 as I can name quite a few researches from the top of my head.
I was told that it's 2 12 mark questions by my psychology teacher so I do hope one of them is on social. Another question about immune system and stress wouldn't be too bad either :biggrin:

Seeing as though some found unit 1 quite difficult, do you think AQA might make this one a little easier?

Good luck to all
Reply 99
gravitywontgetyouhigh
The behavioural model of abnormality:
The emphasis for behaviourist psychology is not on the workings of the mind, personality or the history of an individual, but purely on observable and measurable behaviour.
The behaviour model believes that what can be learned can be unlearned, which in turn suggests a method of treatment and ultimate cure for abnormal conditions.

Maladaptive learning takes place through classical conditioning, operate conditioning or social learning. This is a 'surface' explanation, in that it does not consider biological or emotional factors.

- Classical conditioning works on reflec actions where a neutral stimulus acquires the properties of another stimulus through association. It has been claimed that mental disorders such as phobias can be explained in this manner.
- Operate conditioning occurs when a new response is learned through reinforcement (reward).The reinforcement increases the likelihood that the new response will be repeated. For example, anxiety could be reinforced by attention and empathy from others.
- Social learning theroy explains the formation of abnormal behaviour as occuring by vicarious learning. The process involves observation and imitation of a role model, who is reinforced (rewarded) for their behaviour.

phheww, I cba to write out an evaluation...Hope this helps anyhow :p:

This is actually quite epic.

Would Pavlov come under classical conditioning as a study? It's in my unit 1 booklet and thought whether I could mention it if studies for this was asked?

I know that operant is Skinner whilst Vicarious is Bandura with the bobo dolls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending