The Student Room Group

Do energy drinks actually work?

You know, Red Bull, coffee etc etc etc.......the stuff you drink in those desperate times when you need to squeeze as many hours as possible for revision.

Do they actually work for you? OR do they just give you a short burst of energy but then leave you even more tired after a while? OR do they have no noticeble effect at all?

and which one works best for you?
Reply 1
Yeah, they work, but they've got to be timed. My best energy drink is a strong cup of coffee, but that's more of an evening thing. Mountain Dew energy ftw :biggrin:
Reply 2
go for some sludgy coffee.
Ive tried **** loads over the past couple of years, non seem to work well. Personally a good procrasta-**** keeps me going.
Reply 4
relentless, bigger can than red bull but i need a few to go get perked up.
Depends if you drink the right one for you.

Red Bull makes me instantly sleepy.

Lucozade on the other hand keeps me going for hours :biggrin:
red bull works wonders.
Reply 7
I just had one now! I did a whole page of work- the most so far! lol
But it makes me giggle more than work... but maybe there's something wrong with me- there probably is :cool:
Reply 9
They work for me, i think it depends on the people. I once shot a short film overnight in a supermarket and my production assistant was new to all nighters so i gave him relentless, it made him even worse in the long run and i had to just tell him to sit the rest of the shoot out. Whereas for me it kept my buzz going.
NO! Its terrible for revision/exams, unless your ultra tired before hand anyway. Otherwise, it just makes you really restless and you can't sit down without shaking ur leg.
Energy drinks do nothing for me , i just drink them for the taste:biggrin: lol...i heard taurine is bull sperm/bull piss?:confused:
Reply 12
do any of you ever think that you're just under the 'placebo' effect?
Reply 13
W.H.T

even if i am it still helps
Reply 14
W.H.T

I think of this in regards to bringing water into exams. I left my bottle on the bus. It didn't affect me today. I honestly think I would do any better if I brought it. But on one of my other exams, when I was really stuck, I drunk some water and hoped the answer would 'magically' come to me. That wasn't the case, but I felt I was thinking more clearly after I drunk the water. As for revision, I don't think it doesn't really help. I just make sure I don't have an empty stomach.
Reply 15
Yes they do for me

A strong Coffee and I can cram the night before. but i believe that not really the way to go about revising. Plan it so you can get a good nights sleep before the exam otherwise you may not hit peak performance levels at the most important time when the papers in front of you.
I love Lucozade, but I crash out and need to sleep after about 30 minutes.

Latest