The Student Room Group

Will i get a place?

Well i have finished my course at college and i am going to get 220 UCAS points.
The required points are 240 points.

I will be taking sports journalism, they said experience in Sports Studies, Media Studies and something else are a help.

I took GCSE Sports Studies and BTEC National Diploma in Media: TV and Film for the last 2 years at college.

My Tutor said my predicted grades were MMP, but they offered me a place saying i had to get MMM. Why would they offer me a place f they knew i wouldn't get the required grades?!

I achieved MMP, and got my 20 points in Key Skills. So i have 220. With all that, will i get a place? Or will they throw the towel at me and say you didnt get 20 more points, thats no good?
Reply 1
Why would they offer me a place f they knew i wouldn't get the required grades?!

Because they expect you to work harder and put in as much effort as possible to meet your offer. It's too early to tell but if the course is over-subscribed it's extremely unlikely that you'll get your place.
depends how popular the course is.
Reply 3
Could i contact them and find out if i would receive a place with the amount of points?

So then if i dont i can go get a job ect.
I think that you have a decent chance. Unis/courses that give offers to people whose predicted grades are less than the standard offer are usually more likely to be lenient around results day if you miss your offer. Although this is not definite.
Reply 5
Ring up bro' and ask about why they gave the offer. Don't be a douche about it though.
Reply 6
I wont, i might email and just say...

I have achieved 220 points.. which was my predicted grades. My offer was 240, would i be able to gain a place with this, or will i not be given an offer?!

But in a better way, or i may not bother applying for a Journalism course. haha
Reply 7
Matt157
Well i have finished my course at college and i am going to get 220 UCAS points.
The required points are 240 points.

I will be taking sports journalism, they said experience in Sports Studies, Media Studies and something else are a help.

I took GCSE Sports Studies and BTEC National Diploma in Media: TV and Film for the last 2 years at college.

My Tutor said my predicted grades were MMP, but they offered me a place saying i had to get MMM. Why would they offer me a place f they knew i wouldn't get the required grades?!

I achieved MMP, and got my 20 points in Key Skills. So i have 220. With all that, will i get a place? Or will they throw the towel at me and say you didnt get 20 more points, thats no good?

I think its better for you to ring up, y'know, just in case.
Reply 8
well it kinda depends how gud the uni is- the posh ones are more strict.

and like the others have said, how desperate they are.
dont worry u could get a place in clearing.
Reply 9
Leeds Trinity isn't a big Uni. Quite small, but good for Journalism.
Reply 10
Well, i have given them a ring. The nice woman has said, the course is not that much over-subscribed, my chances are good. With me being just under they will look at my application and decide on whether to offer me a place. They will do that before the A-level, which could be a good thing or bad thing.

Thoughts?

I am confident with my application, one of the units is Radio production, i have been spending time with Radio Sheffield. They also want someone who has been in, Media Studies/Sports Studies/Phycology/English Language. I did Lang. for GCSE (Obviously), same with Sports Studies(I knew that **** would come in handy) and Media Studies which i have been doing for 2 years.

With me being a BTEC i will find out by the end of July rather than End of August.

Thanks all for your help.

Latest

Trending

Trending