The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am dreading this exam!!!

:frown::frown:
I love F335 :smile:

A positive approach to anything is more likely to you leave you feeling better about it after you've completed it.

I have a feeling no one else agrees with me on loving F335.
kironkabir
I love F335 :smile:

A positive approach to anything is more likely to you leave you feeling better about it after you've completed it.

I have a feeling no one else agrees with me on loving F335.

I think everyone's shy of this thread until it's nearer to exam time.
I prefer this to the Jan A2.
hollywoodbudgie
I think everyone's shy of this thread until it's nearer to exam time.
I prefer this to the Jan A2.

Although I didn't do the F334 paper, I had a sneaky peak at it, and it didn't seem that hard :s-smilie:
kironkabir
Although I didn't do the F334 paper, I had a sneaky peak at it, and it didn't seem that hard :s-smilie:

:redface: you had a sneaky peak at the F334 paper coming up?
Hi... I've done a big sheet with reaction conditions and catalysts etc... can anyone have a look through and check if I've missed anything?

Btw, there's a Benzene reactions one on another tab (:

Thanks!
Reply 7
I dont know about this exam.........

the 'past papers' from the older syllabuses seem very varied, could be quite easy or quite hard....... :s-smilie:

but there is a hell of lot of stuff to learn...
Reply 8
hollywoodbudgie
:redface: you had a sneaky peak at the F334 paper coming up?

I think they mean the January paper. At least, that's how I interpreted it.
Reply 9
I absolutely hate F335...the past papers are soo hard..gosh A2 is such a fail. :bawling:
I'm not looking forward to this, although as long as my coursework grade sticks I only need a borderlin B/C to get a B overall. Slight pressure off considering that I have exams on four days next week!
I'm dreading this exam. Even though I'm doing well on past papers, getting A/B borderline, I'm losing really easy marks that couldn't be lost if I just learnt my Storylines stuff! The only thing is, the revision guide doesn't give us all the Storylines content, does it?

I'm really annoyed at my Investigation though, it was like 63 pages long and I lost quite a few marks for interpreting one of my graphs as a curve rather than a straight line (meaning that I got a rate equation where one of the orders was wrong!) :mad: I just hope my coursework doesn't go down to a C like it did last year...
Topaz_eyes
Hi... I've done a big sheet with reaction conditions and catalysts etc... can anyone have a look through and check if I've missed anything?

Thanks!

for Benzene you are missing the hydrogenation to form cyclohexane, with 3H2, finely dived Nickle cat, 300 oC, 30 atmospheric

The primary amide can form a carboxylic acid via reflux with H+/OH- [Hydrolysis].

I'm not sure of the conditions as need to look them up but you can form a secondary alcohol from an alkene and the oxidise it to a ketone as well.
What would REALLY help is a sheet summarising all the colour changes that happen in the laboratory when specific reagents are added. Does anyone have a summary of these?

I'd really appreciate it :smile:
Topaz_eyes

Thanks!

- You're missing a few alkene reactions, and formation of hydroxynitriles from ketones/aldehydes:

Alkene + H2O ----> Alcohol (300oc, 60atm and H3PO4)(Or, room temp and c.H2SO4).

Alkene + H2 ----> Alkane (150oc, 5atm and nickel) (Or, room temp and platinum catalyst).

- For the acyl chlorides, conditions must be anhydrous or they'l undergo a condensation reaction to form a carboxylic acid.
- Nucleophilic substitution with HBr in primary alcohols needs to be heated under reflux(And chemical ideas points out that the HBr has to synthesised in situ from NaBr and c.H2SO4).

There are a few others you can add in like phenols and acid anhydrides, but you probably remember that from january anyway. :p:

------------------------------------------------------------

I quite like Chemistry by Design, probably because i like chemistry rather than the unit though :p: . The amount of synoptic content will throw most candidates i think....
Reply 15
Just a quickie.....

what tests do we need to know apart from Bromine water for alkenes and Iron (III) chloride for phenols

cheers :smile:
I made a list of all the chemical test for everyone to download on PDF format

Enjoy :smile:

Made specially for F331 through to F335
Reply 17
kironkabir
I made a list of all the chemical test for everyone to download on PDF format

Enjoy :smile:

Made specially for F331 through to F335

although you didnt put the phenol test on there......

but thanks anyway its quite useful :yep:
Ben2410
although you didnt put the phenol test on there......

but thanks anyway its quite useful :yep:

Cheers.

The test for phenols using pale yellow iron (III) chloride that gives a purple complex is well known though.

Also, check this out!

http://www.4college.co.uk/a/wm/invest.php
Reply 19
anyone got any notes ?

Latest

Trending

Trending