The Student Room Group

SAT Repeats

I'm really interested in studying in the US, but since fiscally I'd need financial aid, my choices are narrowed to those that offer it to International students. That leaves me with probably the hardest six to get into: Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Amherst, MIT and Dartmouth. Just from a lot of research, I'm only really interested in the first four.

My question is does repeating your SAT reasoning look bad on your application? I sat my SATs on Saturday and I'm not convinced I've got the 2200+ that everyone says it a must. But I know it's well within my capabilities, and I'm certain I could crack it in October. I'm an IB student, taking the hardest classes I can and have enough extra-curriculars to fill Texas. With all that in mind, is a low SAT score the first time round really that big of a deal?
Reply 1
First, those six schools aren't the only ones that give financial aid to international students. They're just the ones that are need-blind for international students in the admissions process. Others do give out financial aid and guarantee to meet your full need (but they will take finances into their decisions). There are even more that give out aid, but can't guarantee to meet your full need.

I would recommend that you wait and see what your SAT score is. You may want to retake it if you're dissapointed with your score and/or some of your sub-scores are very low. Most colleges will super-score your sub-scores, so you don't have to raise every sub-score if you were to retake.

Also, if you're going to apply to selective schools, you'll probably have to take SAT subject tests, so don't forget those.
UnaChance
I'm really interested in studying in the US, but since fiscally I'd need financial aid, my choices are narrowed to those that offer it to International students. That leaves me with probably the hardest six to get into: Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Amherst, MIT and Dartmouth. Just from a lot of research, I'm only really interested in the first four.

My question is does repeating your SAT reasoning look bad on your application? I sat my SATs on Saturday and I'm not convinced I've got the 2200+ that everyone says it a must. But I know it's well within my capabilities, and I'm certain I could crack it in October. I'm an IB student, taking the hardest classes I can and have enough extra-curriculars to fill Texas. With all that in mind, is a low SAT score the first time round really that big of a deal?

Avoid getting a low score the first time if you can - if you can't, then that's that.
Most people in the US take the SAT twice, once Junior spring and once Senior fall. So taking it twice is completely fine. Taking it more than twice is generally not encouraged though.
Reply 4
One re-take is typical and perfectly acceptable. You'd probably be fine with two, too, but draw the line there. Don't forget you need to schedule subject tests for these schools in a separate session, too.

And, to reiterate SaintSaens, you can get aid from need-aware schools, too. Such schools simply don't guarantee that your financing will not be considered, but if they like you they might very well admit you with aid anyway.
I know many, many people who took it 3 times. However, I would draw the line at 3. Any more than that, and it makes you seem a little desperate.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone. I'm retaking in October and SAT II - ing in November. Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 7
Don't worry about it. A lot of Americans take their SATs two or three times before applying. It will probably help you far more than it will hurt, since most universities will add up your highest scores from each section. The only case where it would look bad is if your scores dropped significantly on the second test.