The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I have done practically no revision for this test, and its tomorrow! :frown:

I think if you revise the key people, and the factors which helped/hindered medicine, you should be allright! Thats what I'm gonna do!
Reply 2
Chill. Go 2 clubs, hav a drink, dance da devil :smile:. Thats wat I do.
Reply 3
There's so much to know:frown:
I'd say factors for progress/regress are most important. Make sure you know about surgery because that's in both Medicine papers.
Reply 5
Ayeshaa:)
I have done practically no revision for this test, and its tomorrow! :frown:

I think if you revise the key people, and the factors which helped/hindered medicine, you should be allright! Thats what I'm gonna do!

Same :frown:. There's so much to learn! And then the exam is only a few questions :/. It's so annoying.

I think I'm going to make a list of the key people in a minute and yeah the factors :smile:

Ohhh then there's public health too :/
Reply 6
emma363
There's so much to know:frown:

I know :frown: and it's not like there's even loads of questions in the exam. Ergh, dreading it!
Reply 7
[EDIT]Please Note: The following information is correst for AQA...[/EDIT]

I'm guessing you all know Section A this year is going to be on: 'The change from supernatural approaches to natural approaches in the Ancient World and its impact on meicine before before 1700.'

I recommend you look at some past papers and mark schemes (if you haven't already) to see the sort of questions they'll ask for the 5, 6, and 9 mark question as they're all pretty straight forward - you just need to make inferences, spot limiting factors and for 6 and 9 use some of your own knowledge (although it doesn't have to be in great detail - it's not a depth study).

The essay question is likely to be along the lines of:

'The natural approaches to disease developed in the Ancient World had no lasting effect on medicine.' Do you agree?

or

Was progress in medicine before 1700 held up by the continued use of natural approaches developed in the Ancient World?

Just remember: Although natural methods were closer to the scientific methods of today (compared to supernatural), they were not always correct. The Theory of the Four Humours had a massive effect on medicine lasting over 1000 years. Although it was a natural solution, it was wrong! Going against what Galen taught was a crime. Thereore people weren't looking for the real cause of disease (ie. The Germ Theory) and therefore it was a hindrance.

In the essay questions just make sure you use the sources (where available), your own knowledge, try and make sure it's got views for and against and add a conclusion. If you do all that you should get Level 4 (A/A*).

The Medicine through time essay question could be anything so it's hard to give advise. Just remember for the 3 marker pick out 3 points/quotes for 3 mark, and in the essay structure is as important as content.

The Public Health section of the exam is always repeating the same essay questions from previous years. So make sure you have a look at a few pervious exams and Mark Schemes and you'll do alright.

Good luck everyone...
Reply 8
.Ben

Thankyou! :smile: Really helpful.
Reply 9
Hey .Ben - any idea what the germany section will focus on?
Wow i never saw anything like this when i was doing GCSE history. Looks like an interesting topic.
Reply 11
Bslforever
Wow i never saw anything like this when i was doing GCSE history. Looks like an interesting topic.

Yeah I've found it really interesting, I only took it because it was the history of medicine :smile: There's just so many key individuals to remember etc...
Jooodie
Yeah I've found it really interesting, I only took it because it was the history of medicine :smile: There's just so many key individuals to remember etc...

I read a book like this - Bad Medicine by David Wooton. Some of it is pretty heavy going, but you might find it interesting if you ever get a chance to read it.
Reply 13
A1EX3
Hey .Ben - any idea what the germany section will focus on?

The Germany topic is a depth study so it could be anything. Looking at previous exams the first section has always been on either 'Hitler's rise to power', or 'Life in Nazi Germany'. There's a small possibility it could be on 'Weimar Germany', although I've got a booklet of passed papers since 2003 and it's never been in the first section - It'll probably come up after me saying that :o:.

Again same sort of questions, simply making inferences from sources, finding limited factors and getting some of your own knowledge into each answer to show off. Just remember the essays may be iceberg questions! For example if the questions was 'How important was the Reichstag Fire in making Hitler dictator?', you also must talk about the other factors (eg. Enabling Act, Banning Political Parties/Trade Unions, Night of the Long Knives, Hindenburg's death, Arm Oath, etc) and anylise in terms of importance as you go along. As long as you've got a number of factors, analysis and a conclusion, the chance's are you'll get an A*.
Reply 14
Thanks, .Ben - I'm a bit concerned about the paper. We're sitting American West and a Medicine paper in one sitting, so I'll be in the exam hall for 2 hours. Fairly confident on American West, but I'm unsure what'll come up in the Medicine Paper. xD
Reply 15
Ben - is that for edexcel?
Reply 16
No it's AQA. That's a good point BayBee323, I should've stated that in my post.
.Ben
[EDIT]Please Note: The following information is correst for AQA...[/EDIT]

I'm guessing you all know Section A this year is going to be on: 'The change from supernatural approaches to natural approaches in the Ancient World and its impact on meicine before before 1700.'

I recommend you look at some past papers and mark schemes (if you haven't already) to see the sort of questions they'll ask for the 5, 6, and 9 mark question as they're all pretty straight forward - you just need to make inferences, spot limiting factors and for 6 and 9 use some of your own knowledge (although it doesn't have to be in great detail - it's not a depth study).

The essay question is likely to be along the lines of:

'The natural approaches to disease developed in the Ancient World had no lasting effect on medicine.' Do you agree?

or

Was progress in medicine before 1700 held up by the continued use of natural approaches developed in the Ancient World?

Just remember: Although natural methods were closer to the scientific methods of today (compared to supernatural), they were not always correct. The Theory of the Four Humours had a massive effect on medicine lasting over 1000 years. Although it was a natural solution, it was wrong! Going against what Galen taught was a crime. Thereore people weren't looking for the real cause of disease (ie. The Germ Theory) and therefore it was a hindrance.

In the essay questions just make sure you use the sources (where available), your own knowledge, try and make sure it's got views for and against and add a conclusion. If you do all that you should get Level 4 (A/A*).

The Medicine through time essay question could be anything so it's hard to give advise. Just remember for the 3 marker pick out 3 points/quotes for 3 mark, and in the essay structure is as important as content.

The Public Health section of the exam is always repeating the same essay questions from previous years. So make sure you have a look at a few pervious exams and Mark Schemes and you'll do alright.

Good luck everyone...

thank you ben so helpful! anymore advice or any predictions or anything? i am so worried as i really want to do well in the exam :frown: STRESSFULL!!!!!! aggghhhh! thanks anyway mate, really helpful!

Latest

Trending

Trending