The Student Room Group

AS grade boundaries! I don't get it!

I sat the Arabic AS exam last year and I got 73 out of 100, and it says on my certificate that I got a B, which I just accepted.

But I just happened to look through the grade boundaries for Edexcel 2009 and 2010, and it says that 72 marks is actually an A!

Now someone else is saying that 77 is an A, and someone else is saying 80 is an A!

Someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me what the official grade boundary is, I need to know! I'm meant to sit the A2 exam this week, just for additional info :smile:

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP]
Reply 1
what you got on your results slip is a uniform mark...this is not the same as the actual mark you got on the paper...uniform grade boundaries are a way of standardising raw marks so you can compare across exam boards and over time and they never change (i.e. 80 is always an A, 70 a B, 60 a C, etc) but the raw mark boundaries change year to year and the 72 you saw is probably the raw grade (the mark you got on the paper) boundary for an A

hope that helps and doesn't sound too confusing :smile:
Reply 2
So I got an A on the actual paper, but if I was to tell a university for an example, I would tell them I got a B?

So what's the point of the raw mark?

Sorry to sound stupid :biggrin: lol
Reply 3
No, you didn't get an A in the actual paper because 72 raw marks is equivalent to 80 UMS marks, for A. You got 73 UMS marks, which would probably be about 65 raw marks.
Reply 4
OK, I get it now :smile:
Reply 5
they have UMS because, for example if everyon did really well in the exam comparison to previous years, it would make the examining board question why this is, and usually it will be down the the paper itself being easier than it should have been. so in this case they will higher the grade bounderies,to make a clear distinguish between the A and B students.

Latest