The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Focus08
Waiting for Lancaster to publish this on their page

It's curious though cos they've had already numerous articles about this ranking stuff and so I struggled to find a piece of the first of these which I find delicious and hilarious :rolleyes:

The top-ten position overall sees Lancaster in the same group as Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial College
Reply 81
jammaster01

- TVU is better for law than Manchester and Sheffield

omg :confused: TVU is the worst uni in the land. This University Guide is worthless.
Reply 82
Guys, haven't you heard? Lancaster's better than Imperial now.
Focus08
Warwick!

:five: :woo:

Come on WARWICK!! :thumbsup:

Top 3 :grin: I really don't want to miss my offer now :afraid:

But really how can Lancaster be over Warwick for maths??
Reply 84
HERTFORDSHIRE is in top ten for physics??? WHAT??
omg i mean i know all league table have flaws but the guardian's one is TOO MUCH
Reply 86
and CAMBRIDGE IS NOT EVEN IN THE TABLE FOR PHYSICS!!! what the hell?
QUEEN MARY ABOVE IMPERIAL???? no way. just... NO.
what a load of ****
You guys are idiots.

The Guardian clearly states that the ranking reflects TEACHING EXCELLENCE and we all know that top uni is not very known for their high quality of teaching as students are expected to learn and discover by themselves.

As a Lancaster student let me just say that of course we don't deserve the top 10 position. We are more like a top 30 but we are improving...

Lancaster rise in all the rankings are due to the spending spree that the university is on at the moment... and we all know that money will eventually run out and the spending will stop. I expect Lancaster to be back in the top 20/30 in the next couple of years.
.:excel4100%:.
Come on WARWICK!! :thumbsup:

Warwick can suck out. :pierre:
Reply 89
verticalforce
You guys are idiots.

The Guardian clearly states that the ranking reflects TEACHING EXCELLENCE and we all know that top uni is not very known for their high quality of teaching as students are expected to learn and discover by themselves.

As a Lancaster student let me just say that of course we don't deserve the top 10 position. We are more like a top 30 but we are improving...

Lancaster rise in all the rankings are due to the spending spree that the university is on at the moment... and we all know that money will eventually run out and the spending will stop. I expect Lancaster to be back in the top 20/30 in the next couple of years.

Im sorry but there is no way Queen Mary can possibly be better than Imperial College at "teaching excellence".
Bramlow
Guys, haven't you heard? Lancaster's better than Imperial now.

Yeah mang, clearly better. I should've applied there. Judging by their rankings they probably would've rejected me though :pierre:
+ polarity -
Warwick can suck out. :pierre:

lol haha Bitter much??

Dat guy dancing in your sig made me laugh too hard, my stomach's hurting haha
.:excel4100%:.
lol haha Bitter much??

Dat guy dancing in your sig made me laugh too hard, my stomach's hurting haha

What about? :mmm:

He comes in handy sometimes, yes. :giggle:
Reply 93
What is 'teaching excellence' anyway? If it's a culture of selling/giving away bound sets of photocopies of textbooks containing required reading instead of getting the students to research a subject themselves in the library, then surely we're better off without it.
Guardian official statement...

"Every year, final-year students score their universities according to how satisfied they have been with their courses, as part of the National Student Survey. The tables, compiled by independent consultancy firm Intelligent Metrix, heavily weight the results of this survey when compiling the rankings. Other league tables concentrate on research ratings."
Boomka
Im sorry but there is no way Queen Mary can possibly be better than Imperial College at "teaching excellence".

My guess is teaching excellence is measured by 'student satisfaction' and probably various other random metrics. The Guardian must have put huge emphasis on this satisfaction thingy.

Edit: see above post

It's not the best and most objective way as certain unis have been known to push students into giving positive review.
Reply 96
Chortle - Buckingham ahead of Durham, Edinburgh and York for English
Reply 97
So, say someone is convinced that they have to get into Oxbridge because everyone else says it's the best for everything (based on these tables). That person works their socks off and is admitted to their chosen Oxbridge college, then the Guardian asks them to rate how good they think their course AND university are. What are they going to say? That maybe the grass is greener at Lancaster?? So Oxbridge keeps being rated higher than everywhere else year after year, ad infinitum, according to the Guardian's opinion surveys and their focus on 'student satisfaction'.
What a load of nonsense.
Reply 98
Manchester outside the top 50.

Lancaster 6th.

Robert Gordon 27th.

Just ROFL.

University of East London 5th for Civil Engineering!?!
Reply 99
I've just seen a poll of secondary schools.

My local comprehensive came out as the best school. It lets students leave at midday on Thursdays and Fridays to go out drinking, allows essay-bank websites for coursework submissions, and subsidises school trips to Zante every year.

Sure, nobody gets any GCSEs or strong A Levels, but apparently the kids are really satisfied. I'm happy for my school and the documented standards of quality education. No sour grapes, people.

Latest

Trending

Trending