The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
op - i think you are over worrying about where to apply before you know where you should apply. i would say do your UKCAT and then start to think about which course. because lets face it if you get below 680 on ukcat than 4yr course are gonna be a big gamble. but if you get over 700 then you will get an interview at most(prob all) 4yr schools giving you around a 1/3 chance of an offer, which is quite high.
if you get a ukcat score of like 550-650 then 5yr is prob the better option. places like sheffield 5yr dont consider your alevels if you get 1st. but even with 5yr course a low UKCAT score could ruin your chances (esp at places like barts, glasgow, durham and newcastle who all have UKCAT cut offs).

so basically do your UKCAT before making any choices because that is the result that will determine which med schools you will have the most chance at.
anon2010
op - i think you are over worrying about where to apply before you know where you should apply. i would say do your UKCAT and then start to think about which course. because lets face it if you get below 680 on ukcat than 4yr course are gonna be a big gamble. but if you get over 700 then you will get an interview at most(prob all) 4yr schools giving you around a 1/3 chance of an offer, which is quite high.
if you get a ukcat score of like 550-650 then 5yr is prob the better option. places like sheffield 5yr dont consider your alevels if you get 1st. but even with 5yr course a low UKCAT score could ruin your chances (esp at places like barts, glasgow, durham and newcastle who all have UKCAT cut offs).

so basically do your UKCAT before making any choices because that is the result that will determine which med schools you will have the most chance at.

This is an interesting one.

You say low scores should avoid cut offs...I disagree. Obviously you have to reach the cutoff...which I'm not saying is easy, but say you got 662.5 and the cutoff was 650 then you are better applying there. If you get 662.5 and apply to a uni that uses a scale then you might be in a worse position.

Just a thought.
~tifa
I am a second year student and hoping to apply for the 2011 medicine undergraduate entry. I know there's the post-grad option but that I believe is even more competitive and I don't mind an extra year providing there's a higher chance for me to get accepted..
However, there's a slight problem... I kinda failed my A'level Biology.
I've mailed Kings College London just so I have an idea of what is expected and the admission guy who mailed back said "An upper second class degree and a pass (A-E) in Biology/Chemistry" ...

Umm..Im predicted a First Class for my degree... so I was wondering if taking a biology A'Level resit is AS important? =/

Is it too late to apply/prepare for a biology resit now if I am to apply for the 2011 entry - keeping in mind the deadline would be mid-Oct this year for the application?

Would they reeally really care?

well as their requirement uses the word AND then yes they really will care.
Hello Buddy!

I was in a similar position last year (except I had finished my degree)

Even during your 3rd yr you should have plenty of time to study for AS level bio, especially using letts revise guides and doing loads of practice questions.
I think if youre not bothered about an extra year, just make sure you nail the UKCAT and have a predicted AS grade. Then you can apply for places like newcastle, barts and sheffield which place a heavy emphasis on the UKCAT score for offering interviews.

GAMSAT would be quite good because st georges for example takes on loads of grads. You can use the score for application to ireland as well. It does require very serious preparation but if you get on with it during the summer, it may well pay dividends
Reply 24
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
This is an interesting one.

You say low scores should avoid cut offs...I disagree. Obviously you have to reach the cutoff...which I'm not saying is easy, but say you got 662.5 and the cutoff was 650 then you are better applying there. If you get 662.5 and apply to a uni that uses a scale then you might be in a worse position.

Just a thought.
this is exactly what i ment you just put it better than me:smile:

all i really meant was if you get a good UKCAT then you have a good chance at unis that use them for interview eg barts and newcastle. because if you get over the cut off for newcastle you will be offered an interview and 1/3 who are interviews receive offers.
i just mean that OP should get the ukcat score first so she can play to her strengths.
anon2010
this is exactly what i ment you just put it better than me:smile:

all i really meant was if you get a good UKCAT then you have a good chance at unis that use them for interview eg barts and newcastle. because if you get over the cut off for newcastle you will be offered an interview and 1/3 who are interviews receive offers.
i just mean that OP should get the ukcat score first so she can play to her strengths.

I agree :smile:
Reply 26
CAPTAIN101
What are you studying mate?
And if your degree does have plenty of bio then getting a 1st/2.1 will be just one of the things that are taken into consideration - yes obviously a first is gonna give you a better chance of getting in - but it is equally vital you have work experience (not QUANTITY rather QUALITY) etc.

Im studying BSc Biomedical Sciences at Cardiff right now..

Thanks alot for all your replies guys, really helpful..

Only thing with post-grad application is the limited number of uni's who take UKCAT (as GAMSAT is more popular for post-grad entry).. So if I was to apply for 2 undergrad courses and 2 post-grad.. I would have to take both UKCAT and GAMSAT which is .. kinda stupid? and kinda un-doable right now. And if i was to go for post-grad all the way (for all 4 options), then Im just worried about the limited number of seats offered for graduates. It is hell tempting though to just apply for the four year course when I have the option.
~tifa

Only thing with post-grad application is the limited number of uni's who take UKCAT (as GAMSAT is more popular for post-grad entry).. So if I was to apply for 2 undergrad courses and 2 post-grad.. I would have to take both UKCAT and GAMSAT which is .. kinda stupid? and kinda un-doable right now. And if i was to go for post-grad all the way (for all 4 options), then Im just worried about the limited number of seats offered for graduates. It is hell tempting though to just apply for the four year course when I have the option.

For a start, it is NOT a post-grad course, the graduate entry medicine courses are still undergraduate degrees, just shorter in length. Sorry, massive bug-bear of mine even as a grad med applicant :mad: :o: :biggrin:

The general consensus is that you apply for at least one 5 year alongside any GEP courses that you hope to get onto. You only get 4 slots anyway on the UCAS form. The best advice I've seen on here is to take the UKCAT as soon as possible after you've done some prep, look at your results which you get on the day and go from there. If the result isn't as high as you want it to be, you've then still got the time to cram for GAMSAT (remember though that you have to register by a certain date and the centres fill pretty quickly, not to mention the prep involved). Are you just finishing your second year?

I'm having to go down the both routes (GAMSAT and UKCAT) a.) because I'm an Arts grad and b.) my preferred 2 choices use GAMSAT. I will take UKCAT sometime this summer and then decide on other options once I've got my results. UCAS hasn't got to be submitted for 2011 entry until October so there's still time.

Also, start getting your work experience and volunteering together as that plays quite a big part of some university admissions.
Reply 28
~tifa

if you are predicted a 2:1 in your degree subject (biomed), you can apply to quite a few UKCAT 4yr courses even though you dont have chem Alevel:

barts
birmmingham
imperial
kcl
Leicester
newcastle
warwick

you really need to start researching. you have a good degree subject and you have way more options than you seem to think.

Latest

Trending

Trending