The Student Room Group

Raf pilot...best degree??

Hi.

im curently at my 1st year at college and after i complete my second year i am applying to the RAF as a pilot and also university as my second choice if i get turned down for the RAF.

My problem is i still aint really sure what degree i would want to do at university.

so if anyone could shed any light on what degree would be preferred by the RAF for a pilot or any information at all would be greatly appreciated

thanks
You don't have to have a degree to become a pilot for the RAF, but obviously some are prefered..the technical ones, engineering, physics, maths, geography aswell. From all the aspiring pilots I've come across these are the courses they've chosen.
Aerospace engineering?
Do the degree that a) you will do best at and b) that sets you up for your second choice of career if you don't get a career in the RAF.

A degree is not required, but the majority of pilots have a degree, because the training requires degree level academic ability. However, they have degrees in a very wide range of subjects, certainly not all technical.
Reply 4
threeportdrift
Do the degree that a) you will do best at and b) that sets you up for your second choice of career if you don't get a career in the RAF.

A degree is not required, but the majority of pilots have a degree, because the training requires degree level academic ability. However, they have degrees in a very wide range of subjects, certainly not all technical.

This. At the end of the day you are the one going to be at Uni for three years, so pick something you're going to enjoy.
Reply 5
Do something that you will enjoy and you can back up in an interview why you did it.
Reply 6
thanks all for advice =) least now will make deciding easier for me
Reply 7
Hey, im doing sort of the same thing. But doing a bursary entry into the raf (hopefully) where they sponser you through uni. I've already had an interview and the guy said you can do any degree you like, they dont "discriminate" so what ever you like really. My choice of degree is aerospace engineering but only because im interested in it.
From personnel experience in applying to the RAF as pilot whilst at uni, they really don't mind what degree you're doing. However, I'm doing aeronautical engineering, and all the other pilot bursars on my course do really end up hating the course purely for the fact that they could be doing an easier one, but will have the same end job result. I'm not saying pick an easy one because it's easy, but pick one that as people above have said, you enjoy. Don't do a technical one because you think it's what the RAF wants in a pilot.
Reply 9
Original post by User1024
Saw this 10 years later did you make it?

OP hasn't been online since August 2011.

Would their answer really help you, though?

Latest