The Student Room Group

The CIE thread 2010 (Results Day: 12 August)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
speedbird
Look, you can say what you like, but you need to work so much harder if you're doing CIE exams. Full stop. My school's been teaching CIE syllabi for ages and last year they introduced Edexcel and the teachers were laughing when they saw how ridiculously easy the whole thing was. In my school, if you struggle with CIE you switch over to Edexcel, never the other way round. And Edexcel is supposed to be one of the harder exam boards in the UK. I wonder how AQA is.

I will complain and moan and whine about how unfair it is until I die.

LOOL. I wonder why the discrimination?

I would too, But I cant be bothered to.
S-man10
Not the hardest. The cheapest and very unfair at marking the papers.

Why do u said that 'unfair' things? is there any difference with other exam board's marking scheme ?
Reply 22
I'm so worried.

Someone help calm my fears.
Reply 23
Focus08
I'm so worried.

Someone help calm my fears.

I've seen your marks, grim reading indeed
Reply 24
urmm, i wouldnt downgrade the edexcel mechanics units if i were u. they are most definately, the most in-depth unit of mathematics but also the FP's.

btw, cie does less units than normal UK exam boards. thats why people may feel they are easier because the content is more spread. cie further mathematics and EDexcel further mathematics seem to balance off in the end if you compare doing all fp's and m3,m4,m5 in one year.

but the thing that matters the most is your joy in studying the subjects you study. watever u study, do it because u love it. :biggrin:
Reply 25
speedbird
Look, you can say what you like, but you need to work so much harder if you're doing CIE exams. Full stop. My school's been teaching CIE syllabi for ages and last year they introduced Edexcel and the teachers were laughing when they saw how ridiculously easy the whole thing was. In my school, if you struggle with CIE you switch over to Edexcel, never the other way round. And Edexcel is supposed to be one of the harder exam boards in the UK. I wonder how AQA is.

I will complain and moan and whine about how unfair it is until I die.

well, ofcourse the teachers will find it easy cos theyve been through it all, duuhh.
M1 Mechanics was hard. So said a number of students in my college. Any input?
aura1947
God yes! Complex Numbers were certainly a lot harder! All in all, they really changed the pattern. I was caught completely off guard. I mean, I was getting As in all the past papers I solved...but the final. I attempted as much as I could though. So hopefully I'll be able to bag a good bunch of method marks! :frown: And what worries me is that quite a few people were saying that it was the easiest paper ever! What the **** is up with that?!

Oh and I need to make a correction. I appeared for S1. :tongue: Sorry! I had a B in Maths last year (P1 A and M1 B). I am hoping for an A in S1 so I really, really hope I don't end up with a C in Maths. I'd be devastated!

I found Chemistry P5 really, really easy! Came out expecting 28-29/30. :biggrin:. I also had P2 on the same day...which went pretty damn good. :smile:

Most people had a mixed response about P4. Said it was sort of lengthy so hard to finish in time. And thanks! Physics P5 is really easy (even easier than Chemistry P5) so yeah. :biggrin:

Wow. I found chemistry needed more thought.

Math P3 was ok. What was really disturbing was Math M1 Mechanics. A student who normally gets 80 something or 90 over was really worried. I'm really worried I'll miss my offer from Imperial. And I'm not brilliant.
Reply 28
P3 was good this year atleast for me but i disliked yesterdays chemistry P4! and well chem P5 is never that tough anyway but threshold always seems to be invariant at about 20. LAST PAPER TODAY- Physics P5!!!! :smile:. Finally!!!
Reply 29
aura1947
God yes! Complex Numbers were certainly a lot harder! All in all, they really changed the pattern. I was caught completely off guard. I mean, I was getting As in all the past papers I solved...but the final. I attempted as much as I could though. So hopefully I'll be able to bag a good bunch of method marks! :frown: And what worries me is that quite a few people were saying that it was the easiest paper ever! What the **** is up with that?!

Oh and I need to make a correction. I appeared for S1. :tongue: Sorry! I had a B in Maths last year (P1 A and M1 B). I am hoping for an A in S1 so I really, really hope I don't end up with a C in Maths. I'd be devastated!

I found Chemistry P5 really, really easy! Came out expecting 28-29/30. :biggrin:. I also had P2 on the same day...which went pretty damn good. :smile:

Most people had a mixed response about P4. Said it was sort of lengthy so hard to finish in time. And thanks! Physics P5 is really easy (even easier than Chemistry P5) so yeah. :biggrin:

Btw the complex number was kinda a repeat of last years question, the last part atleast. When I saw it, I couldn't stop smiling cause I couldn't belive they had repeated the same question from just a year ago!lol ; the one of 1/z
ny2ko
Btw the complex number was kinda a repeat of last years question, the last part atleast. When I saw it, I couldn't stop smiling cause I couldn't belive they had repeated the same question from just a year ago!lol ; the one of 1/z

what do you think about M1?
Reply 31
Fyodor Bingoffsky
what do you think about M1?

I did my M1 last year so I did S1 this year so I have no clue but people in my class that resat it said it was a good paper
ny2ko
I did my M1 last year so I did S1 this year so I have no clue but people in my class that resat it said it was a good paper

Odd. My college found it hard. People struggled to finish it.
Does you class sit for variant 41 or 42? My college uses variant 42.
Reply 33
Fyodor Bingoffsky

A friend of mine did 42. So did everyone at his center. Said it was really easy.
Reply 34
Fyodor Bingoffsky

They did the 42 Mechanics, said it was pretty easy but then again they were resitting and had more experience than AS students doing it for the first time
Reply 35
Mangaartist
Hi there,

this is my third year of the CIE results thread =)

If you took/are taking CIE exams feel free to discuss here. As I mentioned in the title, this year results come out on 12 August and will be available online at https://myresults.cie.org.uk for the second year now. You can get your username and password from the CIE coordinator in your school. Ask them if you didn't get these already.

Feel free to talk about anything exam-related but don't discuss exams until 24 hours after the they finished, as per TSR regulations.

This year I took Marine Science AS+A2 and A2s in Biology, Chemistry and Maths (with S2).

Anyone else?

How was marine science? I'm going back & forth abut taking this as a private candidate.
Reply 36
dg2009
How was marine science? I'm going back & forth abut taking this as a private candidate.

VEry easy, although I wish I prepared more for the physical geog part of the AS syllabus because they had huge questions on it and I focused more on the bio and only did the bare minimum in the geog parts. Overall, I did the AS and the A2 in one year, spending ca 6 hours per week on it for about 2 months, next to nothing for ca 6 months, then panicked and tried to catch up on everything in the remaining month .

It's very enjoyable and easy, especially if you do Biology as well (I guess geog would also help but I'm not taking that so I'm not sure) The only bad part is that there is no one book that's written for the syllabus because it's so new so you have to gather the info you need from a lot of different sources. For me, this took more time and energy than actually learning the material. Also, there are not many past papers available since it's such a new exam.

Overall, if I could go back in time, I would do it again. I had a lot of fun with the subject and sort of wish I had more time to explore the syllabus more in depth as there are so many interesting things I missed out on because of my time limit. With a more thorough preparation behind me I would be pretty sure I'll get an A/A*, but like this I'm not that confident, so expecting A/B
Reply 37
A CIE thread. YAY. :woo:

I took Business studies, Economics and Applied ICT. Anyone else? :puppyeyes:

Economics P41 at 3pm. :sigh:
Reply 38
S-man10
Not the hardest. The cheapest and very unfair at marking the papers.

Cheapest? I doubt that. :p: Or maybe the rate differs. :dontknow: Its quite expensive where I live.

And I agree with the latter. :sigh:

Uhh its pretty hard considering its not modular.
Reply 39
-M$ Ultr@-
Cheapest? I doubt that. :p: Or maybe the rate differs. :dontknow: Its quite expensive where I live.

And I agree with the latter. :sigh:

Uhh its pretty hard considering its not modular.

It is the cheapest, in the sense that because it is not modular you pay a fixed rate no matter matter if you enter for AS/A2 i the same session. It is cheaper that way.

Others you have to pay by the paper or by module, which is your decision but comes at a higher price.

Quick Reply

Latest