The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

So many posts, so many questions!

Hello everyone!

I got my offer from staffs today and plan to accept it tomorrow once I've taken care of a few things, but I have some questions that hopefully you won't mind answering.

The first one, am I too late to apply for halls?

Assuming I'm not, could anyone answer the following please?

Maybe a stupid question, but smoking, what are the rules on it? I assume you can't do it in halls?

Resnet, I've read loads of posts about it, but I'm still a little unclear. I plan to bring with me, a desktop pc, a laptop (maybe 2), network attached storage, ps3, xbox and maybe a couple of other bits, what is the situation with running a router\switch in halls? Can I hook my switch up and share my connection or do I need to do some ICS kinda stuff?

Thanks for your time\patience and thanks in advance for any replies!!

Much love,

Dan
Reply 1
Yu can still apply for halls, room allocation doesn't happen till august, but it's best to get the application in asap

Smoking, just go out doors

with resnet, you need to register one mac address with information services when u activate the internet in your room. as long as you're router has that mac address on its wan port you'll be fine to run as many devices in ur room as you want. the resnet service changes drastically year after year, back in 2007/2008 is was awsome when i lived in halls, this year tho 2009/2010 it was less decent lols, hells even during different times of the day the services fluctuates a lot
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Sox_UK
Hello everyone!

I got my offer from staffs today and plan to accept it tomorrow once I've taken care of a few things, but I have some questions that hopefully you won't mind answering.

The first one, am I too late to apply for halls?

Assuming I'm not, could anyone answer the following please?

Maybe a stupid question, but smoking, what are the rules on it? I assume you can't do it in halls?

Resnet, I've read loads of posts about it, but I'm still a little unclear. I plan to bring with me, a desktop pc, a laptop (maybe 2), network attached storage, ps3, xbox and maybe a couple of other bits, what is the situation with running a router\switch in halls? Can I hook my switch up and share my connection or do I need to do some ICS kinda stuff?

Thanks for your time\patience and thanks in advance for any replies!!

Much love,

Dan[/QUO

Did you accept your place?

What course will you be doing?
Reply 3
Yeah, I have accepted my place and sent admissions an email to confirm I will be attending. Gonna be doing the computer networks and security course, getting pretty excited\nervous now but hoping to have a lot of fun and some messy nights out :biggrin:
Reply 4
I am unsure about this multiple devices as I want to have a few in my room like my PC, Server, Netbook etc. So hopefully with just giving them the MAC address from my router that should work fine as all my devices would get connected to that.

Latest

Trending

Trending