The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To me it seems they are having to drop A level maths from the requirements to get enough applicants, A level will help you a lot, at durham if you dont have A level maths you have to do a course which teaches you A level maths in a year but you do it alongside the standard advanced chemistry maths bit so you end up being in the same maths lectures as those who have done a level maths and not understanding any of it as you dont complete your basic course till the end of the year. So no it's not essential but its a hell of a lot easier with
Reply 21
Unfortunately I only attained a 'C' grade at GCSE... :frown: Not that it matters but I was 15 UMS marks off a 'B' grade. I'm kicking myself now because, and although this is no proper excuse, I slacked habitually! :frown: I was put into the Higher set for GCSE (so it's not a case of, "do I have the capability?"), and because of my indolence, my performance was affected and I achieved a 'D' grade in my mock. After receiving the result, I said "screw this!" and decided to move down to Intermediate, and ignorantly believed I would obtain an easy 'B' grade. Oh how wrong I was; I didn't respect the subject enough and thought I could walk into the exam using only my natural aptitude and a few hours of cramming before hand. :rolleyes: We learn from out mistakes, but mine seem to have screwed my future up! :frown: I would really like to study AS Maths because I now have a deep and sincere motivation to do well, and thus give myself more chance of doing Chemistry (which is my passion). I don't really know what my options are. My school want 'B' grades obtained at Higher, for admittance to AS Maths - so I've failled in meeting those. I have already enroled to do 4 AS subjects (see sig), and I wouldn't mind dropping one in place for Maths... I could try asking my school on Monday (my first day) but I am very aprehensive... What other options would be open to me? Evening classes? Do evening classes usually want entry requirements? Are they expensive? Would it be a hellish workload, ontop of 4 AS levels and *perhaps* a few evenings a night in Tescos? Thanks, any more advice would be worshipped! :smile:
At my school (the college that I will be entering to do AS/A levels in chem, maths, phys and environmental science), they say that to do ANY AS/A level course you need 5 GCSEs at C, with Eng. Lang. at C and maths at C.

However, some people do not attain these grades - however they are not denied entry to the sixth form but have to do a re-take in maths and/or English alongside their AS courses.

You could ask your school, explain your situation and see if you could re-take your GCSE to get a B or better.
This would at least mean a few more unis would be open to you.
Once you have your B, either from a re-take or doing a GCSE in maths at your local community college as an evening class or by distance learning, you could, if you want, drop two of your subjects at A2 level and do an AS in maths (so effectively you would end up with 2 A2 levels, one in chem, and three AS levels, one in maths).
Youll then be set for anything most unis can throw at you.

Cobra's right about the applicants issue - chem is a very unpopular uni course (God knows why...) whats good for us as it means the entry requirements are low(er) than for other subjects and the subject combinations are more flexible.

As to wot you asked about evening classes, maths courses are usually quite common - as its a thing which not many people are good at yet everyone needs it.
It probably would (im assuming) be a fair bit of work - but remember you will have had quite a lot under your belt from GCSE wot the old folks won't - so you may be able to focus on the bits you are weak on.

Alternatively, you could grovvel like you've never grovelled before to your sixth form and they may allow you to do AS with a C in GCSE maths.
Reply 23
ProfessorFitBoy
At my school (the college that I will be entering to do AS/A levels in chem, maths, phys and environmental science), they say that to do ANY AS/A level course you need 5 GCSEs at C, with Eng. Lang. at C and maths at C.

However, some people do not attain these grades - however they are not denied entry to the sixth form but have to do a re-take in maths and/or English alongside their AS courses.

You could ask your school, explain your situation and see if you could re-take your GCSE to get a B or better.
This would at least mean a few more unis would be open to you.
Once you have your B, either from a re-take or doing a GCSE in maths at your local community college as an evening class or by distance learning, you could, if you want, drop two of your subjects at A2 level and do an AS in maths (so effectively you would end up with 2 A2 levels, one in chem, and three AS levels, one in maths).
Youll then be set for anything most unis can throw at you.

Cobra's right about the applicants issue - chem is a very unpopular uni course (God knows why...) whats good for us as it means the entry requirements are low(er) than for other subjects and the subject combinations are more flexible.

As to wot you asked about evening classes, maths courses are usually quite common - as its a thing which not many people are good at yet everyone needs it.
It probably would (im assuming) be a fair bit of work - but remember you will have had quite a lot under your belt from GCSE wot the old folks won't - so you may be able to focus on the bits you are weak on.

Alternatively, you could grovvel like you've never grovelled before to your sixth form and they may allow you to do AS with a C in GCSE maths.
Thanks! That's really helpful advice. I think I will enquire about AS maths on Monday, and take it from there. :smile: Thanks all.
Reply 24
If you dont do maths at Alevel you will probably have to do special maths modules at uni. Thats what people are doing at Sheffield university. Because i did maths at alevel i dont have to take those modules and can take some unrestricted ones of my own choosing instead.
I would recommend doing as much maths as possible, it makes life easier for yourself.
Reply 26
I am going to study chemistry at imperial this year and I only got in because I took up AS maths in my A2 year after loads of persuasion with my maths teachers. I also applied to warwick, manchester, bristol, UCL and Oxford (the only uni I didn't get into) and out of those only Oxford wanted maths. The others reccomend it but will accept you without it as my only offer that included the maths was Imperial.

Latest

Trending

Trending