The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hhmm. yes, i see you point. I know a guy who's just finished his second year and he tells me people just aim for the 40% pass mark on tests.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
yeah most people are just happy with that, in the 1st year anyway, maybe people will care more after then - its kinda hard when none of your hall mates need to do any more than pass their first year, but most people manage to do pretty well!
Reply 22
good stuff
alright kiddies anymore questions? there must be some!
Reply 24
Umm. i just spend 3 hours in A&E for the burn on my leg...and I'm well up for being a Dr again now! its boosted my confidence and excitement, which had been dropping. Yay, I cant wait. I'm so going to make it through...
Reply 25
Books? Should I do some background reading? I have a couple of lumley books at home. Would you recommend them?
Reply 26
Do we have any lectures with the pharmacy people?
Reply 27
How is leg? Sounds painful.. Hope it gets better quickly! :smile:
background reading... shouldn't bother at all. I didn't do any, nor did my friends - just wait until you get there then see how it goes. I've got a surface anatomy book by Lumley that is good once you start dissection - what are yours called? Oh, and definitely don't buy many books on the reading list, i wasted soooo much money on books I never opened, that reading list is ridiculous. Wait until about 3 weeks into the course and decide if you think you actually need any books. I would recommend 1 book for ET and one for MBM - thats it for the first term. I got sherwood and instant notes in biochem - i think theyre fine. And try and get 2nd hand ones if you can - old editions are absolutely fine, you will only use these books for the 1st term so theres no point wasting your money.
And yeppo, we have about 2 a week for the whole of the first year with the pharmacists. LT1 gets very full then!
Reply 29
Oh and publications. How many do you think is acceptable per year? and how do people find projects?
Reply 30
I have 'essential anatomy' by Lumley and an illustrated version of something, could be 'surface anatomy'. Would go home and check. :smile: Thanks..
Reply 31
Cool, I'm looking forward to having lectures with my mates who's doign pharmacy. i dont see her often.

I was advised to get sherwood, and stevens and lowe histology for the first term. i havnt bought any yet, il use the library at first.

do we need any a-level notes? is it worth reading them through or are we going to be straight in with the new stuff?
Reply 32
OOh, and the leg's fine. not infected, although there is a red part spreading downwards/..so im not sure. But it took 4 drs to poke at it ebfore they'd ket me go. i'm very pleased I'm not on anti-biotivs...dont want to be unable to drink for my bday/freshers week.
Reply 33
Well you have a week and a bit to recover! At least you got your excitement levels up again :biggrin: for medicine.
I got the histology book as well actually, that probably is useful but i managed to copy my mate's medic mum's HDTD book that she had spent her WHOLE easter hols filling in (woohoo!) so I never used the textbook as she had already done it all for me! But yeah i guess you probs do need that one. But def don't buy the pharmacology one even though they tell you you need it you really dont!!
Hmm that sounds infected but hey 4 real docs know more than me! Yeah that would be a right pain in the arse being on antibiotics in freshers week!
I didn't read any of my Alevel notes and i don't think i was at a disadvantage at all. To be honest most of what you do isn't related to alevel stuff anyway. I shouldn't waste your time! Enjoy your last 10 days of complete freedom! :smile:
Reply 35
Hmm. I'l go back if it gets worse. I quite like pharmacology though...

I've got another 3 days of being locked in an office !! help (and then a very very busy week full of fun and no packing, i hope i dont get ill again. I'll have to not drink after giving blood if I want to stay well I think!) yay, 10 days? god..
Reply 36
And how do they chose a tutor for you?
You will end up with 5 tutors i think if I have counted right! 1 hall tutor - so that depends on your corridor, and 4 medic tutors. 1 is the GP that you go to 6 mornings in the 1st year, 1 is the hospital tutor that you go to in your seminar group 6 times in 1st year, 1 is your seminar tutor - that runs about 6 seminars to do with clinical and professional development, and finally your 'tutor' who deals with pastoral care - like how you are coping with work load and blah di blah. As far as I am aware you are just allocated them all pretty ramdomly. If you don't like you tutor you can swap, but i only saw mine like 4 times or something so its not really a biggie
Reply 38
Ok.. big question. I never really understood this, they were very vaugue when I asked: how is the course actually taught at nottingham? I know its not systems based or anything, but where do they start?
Reply 39
Excellent I like being known as person, rather than another first year walking around, which is what I guess happens at places where education is based on just lectures and no one to 'few' sessions. Pretty daunted by the huge student numbers as I come from a small sixth form.

Latest

Trending

Trending