The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
are you a madman ricky? huv u been at the alchopops son?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
LETTHEPEOPLESING
are you a madman ricky? huv u been at the alchopops son?

Why would he have been on the alcopops? Good sig btw!!

I'm going next year to study history.. can't wait! :woo:
Reply 3
Should I have completed "pre-advising"? I went onto the History site, and it seemed to me to be targetting 2nd year starters... so, us Freshers don't need to be doing anything??
just sit back, spliff up and enjoy watching the world cup mate.
Reply 5
The pre-advising thing on the history department website looks to me like it's only for honours students, so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I don't think we need to be doing anything, I've submitted my accommodation for and that's it, I guess we just need to wait for after the exam results come in to find out more!
At some point before you see your advisor in Freshers week new students will need to pre-advise online, this is basically selecting modules for the year which you'll then discuss with your advisor (and possibly change depending on their guidance). The advising sessions are only about 10 minutes so it helps if your advisor can see what you propose and it's best if you have a good idea of what options you have. It's worth checking that timetables won't clash and that you're meeting enough prerequisites for courses you might like to do later on.

My connection is awful at the moment (or the St Andrews site hates me) but I'll try to look out some more information on preadvising for you at some point.
Reply 7
ImperceptibleNinja
At some point before you see your advisor in Freshers week new students will need to pre-advise online, this is basically selecting modules for the year which you'll then discuss with your advisor (and possibly change depending on their guidance). The advising sessions are only about 10 minutes so it helps if your advisor can see what you propose and it's best if you have a good idea of what options you have. It's worth checking that timetables won't clash and that you're meeting enough prerequisites for courses you might like to do later on.

My connection is awful at the moment (or the St Andrews site hates me) but I'll try to look out some more information on preadvising for you at some point.

That's be great, thanks a lot :biggrin:
Here is a link to information on advising and pre-advising - the bottom two links on pre-advising are the ones relevant to entrants. I wouldn't worry about actually filling anything in too soon (I'm not sure when things will be set up for you to do that).
I'm MA History, so can answer questions relating to the course. In terms of modules studied, I've done both first year mediaeval modules, one second year mediaeval module, one second year Scottish module, and both second year modern modules.
Reply 10
I've been trying to work out what courses within the history department that we choose next year. It says on the fron that students complete ALL first and second level modules, but next to lots of the first level modules it says not available 10/11.

Can one of you guys already there fill me in on how many units first years take and what the options are?
rickydiculous
I've been trying to work out what courses within the history department that we choose next year. It says on the fron that students complete ALL first and second level modules, but next to lots of the first level modules it says not available 10/11.

Can one of you guys already there fill me in on how many units first years take and what the options are?

Judging by the website, they're in the middle of changing the focus of the courses to integrate medieval and Scottish history, along with changes to the modern history modules (1450-1989 was originally three modules, not two). Those marked as 'Not available' are the ones done in the last couple of years (they're the ones I did). Since it appears to be a bit of a mess right now they're probably still working on it and I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 12
I'm considering possibly switching one of my choices to it in my second year, but I'll see how they go first.
Reply 13
Someone please advise. I was accepted as IR Single Honors but was told I could change to joint honors so I am thinking IR & Modern History or IR & Arabic. My goal is to learn fluent Arabic and Spanish. Went on-line to look at courses to sign up for via matriculation for 120 credits. I know I need to sign up for IR 1005 & IR 1106 as well as Beginning Arabic Language I & II. I am trying to decide whether to take my third module as a Modern History course or taking Spanish language. Anyone have any experience with the evening language courses? If I took a history course as my 3rd module and spanish language as an evening language course, will I have time to learn it all and are the evening language classes worth taking? Also, looks like my IR1005 class is at 10am and beginning arabic starts at 11am. How long do classes last and will I be able to do this based on schedule table. Thanks for the advice.
paburns
Someone please advise. I was accepted as IR Single Honors but was told I could change to joint honors so I am thinking IR & Modern History or IR & Arabic. My goal is to learn fluent Arabic and Spanish. Went on-line to look at courses to sign up for via matriculation for 120 credits. I know I need to sign up for IR 1005 & IR 1106 as well as Beginning Arabic Language I & II. I am trying to decide whether to take my third module as a Modern History course or taking Spanish language. Anyone have any experience with the evening language courses? If I took a history course as my 3rd module and spanish language as an evening language course, will I have time to learn it all and are the evening language classes worth taking? Also, looks like my IR1005 class is at 10am and beginning arabic starts at 11am. How long do classes last and will I be able to do this based on schedule table. Thanks for the advice.

Slightly off topic I just noticed you said you wanted to get fluent in Arabic. Will your undergraduate degree have some study abroad time?

Learning in a classroom in the UK it will be hard, if not impossible, to gain 'fluency'...
Reply 15
Hi! I'm also a historian (about to go into third year) so I can also help out with any questions you may have. I was on course to do a general History degree but hated the medieval choices they had for honours so went for just Modern History instead, but I subsequently know a bit about the different departments/lecturers etc
I did all four first and second year Modern modules, both second year Medieval modules and first year/second semester Ancient History. (Also did 1stYear/1stSem Film Studies, 1stY/1stS Philosophy, 1stY/2ndS Divinity, and both 1st year Art History modules if you want any random info if those interest you!) But to be fair if they are changing the modules around (I didn't know about it!) then I might not be much help!
But anyway, feel free to message me if I can be of any help :biggrin:
Reply 16
Hey, heading to St Andrews for History in September also.

Latest

Trending

Trending