The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

King_Blumpkins
Or is he just simplifying all the really hard stuff for the stupid people who want to look "intellecshual"?

Well, he is a professor at the university of manchester.
Reply 2
King_Blumpkins
Or is he just simplifying all the really hard stuff for the stupid people who want to look "intellecshual"?

i.e: OP :mmm:
Reply 3
Hi I do physics, and if you're reading this, I am better than you.

Please PM if you would like a formulaic explaination.
Reply 4
King_Blumpkins

I must admit, I do find myself cringing at the increase in fan girls.

As has been mentioned he is a Professor at Manchester and also works at CERN (on Atlas I believe).

Clearly his biggest contribution is the popularisation of science (particularly physics and (Unless you count Things Can Only Get Better as a higher state!) astronomy.

I loved his early Horizon works.
Reply 5
His main work is research and development to upgrade the ATLAS detector at CERN, but like Zinfandel said, his popularisation of science is probably the biggest contribution he's made to science. Especially all his work with the British Humanist Association.
Well he may not have contributed anything to Physics, but he's contributed a lot to uplifting pop songs!

Also, while we're on the subject of Brian Cox, does anyone else find his cheeks weird and distracting?
Reply 7
Na not really, Manchester tend to just let anyone be professor of High Energy physics who walks in the door these days. And don't even get me started about how easy it is to get a job at CERN.
He works for CERN at the LHC, pretty important stuff.
But I'd say his television work is a huge contribution to physics, in the way that he is popularizing and demystifying science. Getting people interested in physics and other sciences is important for our future generations. He's a great spokesperson.
He's an author on 21 papers, which isn't too bad.
TheFraze
His main work is research and development to upgrade the ATLAS detector at CERN, but like Zinfandel said, his popularisation of science is probably the biggest contribution he's made to science. Especially all his work with the British Humanist Association.

2 posts? Hey there, Mr. Cox.
My physics teacher has a thing for him, at the end of term at Easter she put one of his programs on I-player for us. She was just there going on about the "fantastic Professor Brian Cox!" and whenever it was taking too long to stream, she kept shouting "Professor!" at the SmartBoard.

So to me, his contribution is amusing my physics class :yep:
Reply 12
BlueSheep32
My physics teacher has a thing for him, at the end of term at Easter she put one of his programs on I-player for us. She was just there going on about the "fantastic Professor Brian Cox!" and whenever it was taking too long to stream, she kept shouting "Professor!" at the SmartBoard.

Your frog has lazy eye.
BlueSheep32

I'll contact the Nobel Prize committee .
Reply 14
He's explaining physics to people who perhaps wouldn't normally be interested in/understanding of it. Even if he hasn't done any practical work (which I'm sure he has), that's still a very important and useful thing.
King_Blumpkins

lol @ 19 year old questioning the contributions made to his respective field by a Royal Society research fellow and professor.
Reply 16
He's an annoying prick with an annoying face and an annoying voice. His "explanations" in TV programs are as pathetic and contentless as any other.
I don't get the hype about him tbh; he did a lecture at University Place last month and the competition for tickets was just absurd
Wesssty
Your frog has lazy eye.

Haha, I've never noticed that before :p:

Bslforever
I'll contact the Nobel Prize committee .

Go ahead, I'm sure what I said will persuade them that he's a very worthy winner :biggrin: :wink:

In seriousness though, like other people have said, he is trying to make Physics more accessible, by doing programs on some of the most interesting aspects of it. We watched one of his Wonders of the Universe programs and he was talking about Olympus Mons on Mars, and how some of the environments on other planets have existed on the Earth in the past. I'm all for more science programs like his being on TV.

Oh, and seeing as he is a Professor of Physics, he must have done something good.
i don't know but my bf thinks he's amazing!! he loves physics though

Latest

Trending

Trending