The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Unit 1- Biology 9th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

potentialmedicalstudent
mithunaa
In the graph, women 40- 60 had less deaths than Men, so therefore its not a gd observation as, women would have high amount HDL and men should have more deaths due to having more LDLs

exactly, thank you :smile:
Reply 61
The last question was two pros, two cons and a conclusion for 5 marks. For the graph age heart thing, I wrote about ages, I think thats what it was it was asking for, it said. Give two reasons for the difference in heart related in men and women between the ages of 40 and 60. It's a B1 exam and it won't ask about stuff like the menstrual cycle and how that effects HDLs and LDLs, it was asking about the ages. Ie 60 years olds excercise less.
Reply 62
I thought this exam was harder than most of the practise papers that I did but it wasn't too bad.

Hoping for low grade boundaries same as everyone lol.

For the heart disease question I had no idea... i eventually put that maybe between 40 and 60 women do more exercise than men and that men eat more saturated fat but I'm not sure really :s
gamerhi
The last question was two pros, two cons and a conclusion for 5 marks. For the graph age heart thing, I wrote about ages, I think thats what it was it was asking for, it said. Give two reasons for the difference in heart related in men and women between the ages of 40 and 60. It's a B1 exam and it won't ask about stuff like the menstrual cycle and how that effects HDLs and LDLs, it was asking about the ages. Ie 60 years olds excercise less.

It won't be asking for "60 year olds exercise less" because that is not a valid point. It was asking to compare both bars from 40-60years men and women. You can not say that one sex exercises less than the other, that is completely wrong.
It was an evil exam! I'm thinking of doing a retake even though I haven't even got the marks back. It had litrally nothing of what I revised and seriously it was completely different to any past papers. There was nothing about the reflex arc, hormones, the menstrual cycle or any of that shiz. I'm pretty sure it had low grade boundaries, but still, it was a really hard paper and they could have done more of the topics as opposed to what they did do. Most of it was focused on evolution.
theblackphoenixcon
It was an evil exam! I'm thinking of doing a retake even though I haven't even got the marks back. It had litrally nothing of what I revised and seriously it was completely different to any past papers. There was nothing about the reflex arc, hormones, the menstrual cycle or any of that shiz. I'm pretty sure it had low grade boundaries, but still, it was a really hard paper and they could have done more of the topics as opposed to what they did do. Most of it was focused on evolution.

Oh yeah - nothing about the nervous system, or even global warming lol.

I know it's mean, but I'm gald it was a hard paper. That means it equals low grade boundaries for me. :teeth:
you know the question which said something like give reasons for the difference in males and females (the one about heart disease)

could you have said something about smoking? or did it have to be something about obesity?

and on the very last question..did they want you to compare the 2 treatments as in advantages and disadvantages or did they mean compare whats different about the two treatment?

:eek3:
Reply 67
GIR
OP
For the heart disease, it didn't have to be linked to obesity.
For the last one, you had to give advantages, disadvantages and a conclusion
GIR
For the heart disease, it didn't have to be linked to obesity.
For the last one, you had to give advantages, disadvantages and a conclusion

AH OK PHEWW
so you could say it about smoking?
Reply 69
Worst B1 exam ever!.... I may be exaggerating but still, it was annoyingly hard... The only question I liked was the theory of evolution and Lamarks theory....oh nd I put that women maintained a more healthy diet and that they exercised more.... Which I'm now regretting.... Nd that question about 'quardrant' I just went blank and wrote measuring tape..... Hopefully they're gonna lower the grade boundries.... Hopefully...:frown:
Reply 70
GIR
OP
grizzlefizzle
AH OK PHEWW
so you could say it about smoking?

Yes you could, providing it's in the markscheme.
Reply 71
errm.. guys what was the questions on beer and water and what was the answer to it ??? :smile:
Reply 72
Yeh thats the one I needed, omg that was hard. I said it wouldent justifiy the title or somthing like that due too the face that, both groups he were allowed too drink water. And for the plants i think everyone got it wrong as the QUESTION SAID DESCRIBE didn't it?, so dosent that mean like the White spike plant population of them increased further from the road and for the other...
Reply 73
potentialmedicalstudent
i said adult stem cell
remove nucleus
add nucleus from frozen
fuse together
place egg in a surrogate mother
clone will be born

can u say to clone relatives may cause health problems for the cloned individual

if you got it the wrong way round do you still get marks if you got those points in...
I found it way harder than any past paper I did. :mad:

luvly..
errm.. guys what was the questions on beer and water and what was the answer to it ??? :smile:

There was a quote, "Dehydrated? Don't drink water... have a beer!" or something like that. Then you had to say why it was not justified. I wrote:

[*]There were only 24 people and it was only done once (unreliable)
[*]They could drink more tap water afterwards so beer drinkers might have had more than the initial water drinkers
[*]They may have exercised at different paces

I think that's alright, hope it is at least! :biggrin:
Reply 75
I only wrote both groups could still have water is that correct??, also for the Heart disease question i put somthing about the chemichal reachtions and metablomis dont think i wrote the work metabloic rate though is more faster at men would that be correct.
Reply 76
The paper overall was quite difficult!
I hope the garde bounderies are lower, but I am worried about a few questions but from previous disscusions in this thread I can't be bothered to state them although, I did get the Quadrat question and seem to be the only person not to get the Pandemic question! I put within a nation not international :/ Good Luck with everyones results! x
Reply 77
For the pandemic question i put down: This is when a virus spreads globally is that correct?
Reply 78
what did everyone write for the pandemic question :smile:
Reply 79
well what i put up^^ when a virus spreads globally is that correct?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending