The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm so glad I did June 07 the night before. Made that paper so much easier.

For the solving the question giving the exact value of tanhx, I got a quadratic in e^x, solved it, got e^x = 5/2 and e^x = -ve. As e^x cant equal a negative number, the only answer was 5/2. I did some manipulation to get tanhx = (1 - e^2x)/(1 + e^2x), then I substituted 5/2 into it, and got 21/29. I messed up the argand diagram completely though.

I couldn't get alpha^2 + beta^2 + gamma^2 = p +13, I got it equal to 4 - 2p or something (good thing most of those parts were worth only 1 mark).

At least then I could use my previous answers to get p + 13 = 4 - 2p --> 3p = -9 --> p = -3

Arc length was surprisingly easy, got 30 (pi/6). De Moivres question seemed too easy. First part where you had to write 1 + sqrt(3)i and 1 - i in the form re^itheta, they didn't ask for a range.

The part where you had (1 + sqrt(3)i)^8(...)^5, I ended up with r = 1024*sqrt(2). But for the last part, I got 8 * sqrt(2), two negative values for theta, and one positive value.

I did both MM1B and FP2 at the same time, I think FP2 went better :frown:
Reply 61
Btw, do you reckon I'd lose some marks for messy working?

I hope it's all legible, it's just not presented very clear. I.e. I had arrows all over the place, and scribbled out some brackets, then added them back...
Adam92
Btw, do you reckon I'd lose some marks for messy working?

I hope it's all legible, it's just not presented very clear. I.e. I had arrows all over the place, and scribbled out some brackets, then added them back...

As long as it is legtible it will be fine.

Btw, i've been thinking and I think for Q4 I accidentally wrote f(x)=Z^3 etc. rather than f(z). Do you think they'll mark down for that?
Reply 63
I had a bit of scribbling in Q1. I didn't realize they had given extra pages for the integral question, so I had rushed that question down on extra paper. I found the extra pages, so I copied it up in the question paper. I've seen their marking; even in pages of scribble, they are still very thorough. So you shouldn't lose marks :smile:
Reply 64
Tomato_Soup1992
As long as it is legtible it will be fine.

Btw, i've been thinking and I think for Q4 I accidentally wrote f(x)=Z^3 etc. rather than f(z). Do you think they'll mark down for that?

Highly doubt it. They don't deduct marks for that, I know people have had to differentiate x = f(t) and wrote dy/dx, and miss out the dx when integrating.. it will be fine.
Reply 65
Katermerang
It makes me wonder why the FP2 and FP3 grade boundaries are so similar, surley most of the people who take on also take the other so should do better therefore one should be lower than the other. Who knows, I'm hoping for a nice straight forward C3 and FP3 on Friday, and hopefully that damn A* in my offer will be done with.

We only do FP2 at my school, as well as FP1 and FP4, as apparently FP3 is much more difficult.
Reply 66
fab cesc
We only do FP2 at my school, as well as FP1 and FP4, as apparently FP3 is much more difficult.

Nah, fp3 is predictable and hence easier to prepare for.
Adam92

So is FP2 the hardest one, or is that FP4?
Reply 68
Tomato_Soup1992

I've not done fp4 so I can't comment, but fp3 is easier than fp2 in my opinion.
Reply 69
Adam92

To be honest i think my teacher was just making excuses as he didn't know the FP3 course :biggrin: .
Reply 70
Tomato_Soup1992

It depends what you're good at. Pretty much all FP4 is on vectors and matrices so if you struggle at all with either of those things you'd do well to get a B. Especially the vectors part of it as there are so many variations of questions invloving lines and planes so you really have to understand what you're doing so you can slightly modify the method for solving it for each question. Personally i found FP4 easier but i think just about everyone else in the class hated it.
fab cesc
It depends what you're good at. Pretty much all FP4 is on vectors and matrices so if you struggle at all with either of those things you'd do well to get a B. Especially the vectors part of it as there are so many variations of questions invloving lines and planes so you really have to understand what you're doing so you can slightly modify the method for solving it for each question. Personally i found FP4 easier but i think just about everyone else in the class hated it.

My strengths in manipulations I think So I probably was suited better to FP2 then.

Would be interesting to see FP4 though...
Generally, students prefer FP3/FP2 over FP4, but I preferred FP4 because I am better at manipulation and visualising 3D diagrams in my head.
Sorry to bring this up, but does anyone have this paper?
x

Latest

Trending

Trending