The Student Room Group

WJEC BS4 - June 22nd

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
whatajoker
What falls in the marketing plan section? I've probably revised it but given it a different name.... what sort of stuff? Like zero budgeting/incremental/negotiated/sales.....?

Yeah, I agree the Specimen was a nice paper.
I hope these come up (Obviously not all of them):

Section A

Decision Trees
Cost/Profit Centres
Price/Demand Elasticity
Outsourcing
Waste Management
Trade Unions (UCAS)
Employee participation (HRM - role in employees to keep them motivated)
Ways of measuring HRM success - Labour surpass/Accident rate/Absenteeism....
Ansoff Matrix
Test Marketing
+ Anything that came up in the specimen :smile:

Section B
Interest Rates/Euro/Inflation... that kind of stuff!

BTW - What is control empowerment? It's on the BS4 specification....

Ye that sorta stuff for marketing plan,
u mean ACAS not UCAS? :wink: haha

ye i agree with your section B aswell, If one came up on taxtion I would actaully find difficult in stabalizing the desk ! 20 marks on that would be lush :P
Reply 21
boodeny
Ye that sorta stuff for marketing plan,
u mean ACAS not UCAS? :wink: haha

ye i agree with your section B aswell, If one came up on taxtion I would actaully find difficult in stabalizing the desk ! 20 marks on that would be lush :P

Ha yes ACAS!

Did you do C4 yesterday? Though i recognized your sig! I was meh with C4, I really hope i get above 60 UMS!

I these:

Sales forecasting: quantitative time
series analysis (extrapolation and
correlation - including moving averages,
seasonal and cyclical variation).

Absorption and contribution costing.
Standard costing. Special orders.

Depreciation: its relevance and
calculation (straight-line method only).

Are the ones that I am not confident in doing.... I hope non of these come up !!!!!

And yeh fiscal/montery policy = :yep:

What grade for you want for Business overall? What did you get for BS1,BS2,BS3?
Reply 22
boodeny
Same, tuesday ahhh

Only started reviisng for it today as had two exam yday =/

Totally agree with you teh specimen is exactly what id want, so probably goign to ask stuff on marketing plans which i hate :frown:

As far as revision, Im just doing the practice Investment appraisal and CPA etc
For rest of theory just me and my mates askign eachother question verbally like =/

But for section B im jsut going to remember the way to set out my answer and hope for best. Without actually doing essays, which i dont have time for, cant realyl practice

SECTION B-
-Define Key terms,
-Agree with statement, with 4 key points and examples for each
-Disagree with statement with 4 key points and examples for each
-Bring in other areas with 4 key points (Motivational theories, production methods, etc)
-Conclusion stating statement is good but other things are to :smile:

Yeah I had two exams yesterday so have only just started revising too..
Just been doing investment appraisal actually haha. Although the notes I was given on it are kinda bad. There's examples which are wrong and stuff :rolleyes:
Thanks for the structure thing for section B, useful thing to remember. I'd love it if SLEEP was a 20 mark question. I think I could write alot on it. I always worry once I've started a question that I've picked the wrong one and I might have done better on one of the others :p:
Reply 23
whatajoker
Ha yes ACAS!

Did you do C4 yesterday? Though i recognized your sig! I was meh with C4, I really hope i get above 60 UMS!

I these:

Sales forecasting: quantitative time
series analysis (extrapolation and
correlation - including moving averages,
seasonal and cyclical variation).

Absorption and contribution costing.
Standard costing. Special orders.

Depreciation: its relevance and
calculation (straight-line method only).

Are the ones that I am not confident in doing.... I hope non of these come up !!!!!

And yeh fiscal/montery policy = :yep:

What grade for you want for Business overall? What did you get for BS1,BS2,BS3?

ye i did C4 yesterday i thought it was okay, i messed up on a few but think i got 80%+ :smile: Only need 67% for my A tho :wink:

Overall in business i need an A, But not too stressed as i noly need 66UMS in this for the A
(BS1 -75/80, BS2- 112/115, BS3 - 67/100,)
Resat BS3 so hopefully did better but still did pretty **** in that,

As for forecasting i totally agree, I HATE IT i dno what they ask tho.. They can ask us reallly do work out 4 year movign averages coz we ent got time.. mroe theory on that i think tbh.

Costing i thinks okay, just gotta know the basics i think. And Depreciation... (Loss of value / Life of asset )

thats all you need really for it ;P and the odd fact about it can be used in window dressing (like putting life of asset as low so depreciation is high so makes business looks bad even though it still ahs a large value) < discourage takeover? xD
Reply 24
Ah cool, I think you mean 112/120 on BS2!

I got...
61/80, BS2 i resat. (I had 74/120 first time), BS3 74/100

So, at most I need 71 for a B, or whatever extra UMS i gained on the BS2 resit will mean I will need less for BS4.

For BS3, my raw marks were 58% But UMS was 73/100! So I think i need to aim for approx 60% in BS4 to equate to 71 UMS to be on the safe side.

Was the overall feeling amounts you and your friends thatr C4 was harder than usual? I hope UMS change alot!
Reply 25
Ok I might be missing something totally obvious here, but on the BS4 specimen paper, how would you calculate the payback period for project A. I can calculate it for project B but for some reason I get the wrong answer for A. By looking at the table it's obviously 2 and a half years, but if I do it by calculation it comes out as a different answer..
Reply 26
whatajoker
Ah cool, I think you mean 112/120 on BS2!

I got...
61/80, BS2 i resat. (I had 74/120 first time), BS3 74/100

So, at most I need 71 for a B, or whatever extra UMS i gained on the BS2 resit will mean I will need less for BS4.

For BS3, my raw marks were 58% But UMS was 73/100! So I think i need to aim for approx 60% in BS4 to equate to 71 UMS to be on the safe side.

Was the overall feeling amounts you and your friends thatr C4 was harder than usual? I hope UMS change alot!

tbh everyone im my school thoguht C4 was lush tbh lol,

Just read further up the page you wernt happy with control vs empowerment. Its exactly as it says on the tin. Empowerment is just giving workers more decision makign ability, instead of seeking approval all the time. And control is the opposite.

Advantages of Empowerment
-More ideas/Opinions
-Decisions made quicker
-Motivates staff(job enrichment)

Disadvantages of Empowerment
-Too many ideas can actually slow up strategic decisions
-Unskilled workers make bad decisions
-Managers might resent being challenged by those lower down hierarchy
Reply 27
kathx1
Ok I might be missing something totally obvious here, but on the BS4 specimen paper, how would you calculate the payback period for project A. I can calculate it for project B but for some reason I get the wrong answer for A. By looking at the table it's obviously 2 and a half years, but if I do it by calculation it comes out as a different answer..

Just had a look and tbh when i work out payback i just do the Cumulative cash flow and jsut work it out in my head.. dont really use a calculation so cant really help =/
Reply 28
boodeny
Just had a look and tbh when i work out payback i just do the Cumulative cash flow and jsut work it out in my head.. dont really use a calculation so cant really help =/

No problem, I can work it out by looking at it so it should be fine.
Reply 29
boodeny
tbh everyone im my school thoguht C4 was lush tbh lol,

Just read further up the page you wernt happy with control vs empowerment. Its exactly as it says on the tin. Empowerment is just giving workers more decision makign ability, instead of seeking approval all the time. And control is the opposite.

Advantages of Empowerment
-More ideas/Opinions
-Decisions made quicker
-Motivates staff(job enrichment)

Disadvantages of Empowerment
-Too many ideas can actually slow up strategic decisions
-Unskilled workers make bad decisions
-Managers might resent being challenged by those lower down hierarchy

Thank you! Sounds the same as 'Centralization v Decentralization' From BS2.

Today, I've just gone through the BS4 specification and ticked off everything I know confidently, Only 2-3 things I need to finish now :smile: And tomorrow, I'll do a few practice 20 marker questions!
Reply 30
I think that globalisation may come up tied in with strenghts and weakness and how to tackle them mixed in with decison trees and ansoff matrix i aslo think that CPA may come up and something to do with either BA or Unliever.
Reply 31
ManUtdFan1
I think that globalisation may come up tied in with strenghts and weakness and how to tackle them mixed in with decison trees and ansoff matrix i aslo think that CPA may come up and something to do with either BA or Unliever.

I don't think CPA and decision trees would come up together, either one or the other and since CPA was on the specimen paper I'm guessing it would be decision trees. You never know though. I'm hoping ansoff matrix comes up, thats pretty easy.
I wish something financial would come up as a 20 marker, so much you can link into finance. :p:
Reply 32
Does anyone know what we need to know for 'Effective communication in the workplace'?
Is it just methods of communication?
Reply 33
Kath,
Did you buy the CGP Business revision guide?

It just says like Formal/informal/verbal communication... And then like how commands are passed down the hierarchy and it should be easy to understand and unambiguous.
I have some more notes on it but thats the jist of it, if you have the CGP book then use it :smile:

It's common sense really, if the Employee knows exactly what they are doing then production will be more reliable and know what they are doing so they won't be demotivated.... that kinda malarky :smile:
Reply 34
whatajoker
Kath,
Did you buy the CGP Business revision guide?

It just says like Formal/informal/verbal communication... And then like how commands are passed down the hierarchy and it should be easy to understand and unambiguous.
I have some more notes on it but thats the jist of it, if you have the CGP book then use it :smile:

It's common sense really, if the Employee knows exactly what they are doing then production will be more reliable and know what they are doing so they won't be demotivated.... that kinda malarky :smile:

Nope don't have a revision guide. I thought that was basically all it was, I just didn't have many notes on it so thought I'd check just in case I'd missed anything so thanks :smile:
I'll be glad when this exam is over, business has been the most stressful one to revise for this year for me which is strange.
Reply 35
hey guys....i was wondering if any of you lot could give me prediction 20 mark questions for section B.... i have a feeling it would be on marketing tools.....any ideas??
Reply 36
zishaq
hey guys....i was wondering if any of you lot could give me prediction 20 mark questions for section B.... i have a feeling it would be on marketing tools.....any ideas??

Honestly i wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, id just learn everything briefly and use common sense. Id use the layout i said earlier and just use ur nogging. They could ask ANYTHING for section B so you can't prepare that much for it, just be grateful they give us a choice of which one we wanna do! lol
Reply 37
zishaq

Yeah it could be anything really. I'm guessing they will be some of the bigger topics though (accounts, marketing etc.) so that there's plenty for us to write and plenty of other topics that link in.
Reply 38
Standard costing and special orders is the only thing I have left on the spec and I only have notes on contribution and absorption costing. Is there anything particular about them I need to know?
Reply 39
Macro Economics HAS to come up.
It was such a large section in the BS3 specification and it didn't come up!

What do you mean by accounts and marketing... I mean what could the questions be :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending