Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR UKIP Question Time

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting stuff Paddy.

But a 40% increase in military expenditure? Really? Don't you know there's a deficit on?
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Thanks for the support on this issue, and for the speedy response
    I think it's probably best to remove the old 'ask a...' thread, and use this as our new one. Thanks.
    Well I won't remove it, it's best to leave it there. If this is being used as the ask a... thread though it might be useful to rename it to that.
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Internationale)
    Killing murders is Sick and Immoral and shouldn't even be contemplated.
    Thanks, I would imagine I can guess which way you would vote.
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Interesting stuff Paddy.

But a 40% increase in military expenditure? Really? Don't you know there's a deficit on?
    Not every policy is my own, I will defer to someone else on that point. Also, thanks :awesome:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Well I won't remove it, it's best to leave it there. If this is being used as the ask a... thread though it might be useful to rename it to that.
    OK, thanks for that. The other thread i spretty obsolete now, so may as well just be entitled ''..ask a... (old version)''
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Not every policy is my own, I will defer to someone else on that point. Also, thanks :awesome:
    I await a response with the greatest of anticipation :holmes:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Interesting stuff Paddy.

The increase is based over a period of several years, by when we will hopefully have recovered some money from elsewhere. Though I realise this is perhaps a bit auspicious of us, and I may alter it to be slightly more realistic. Thanks for pointing that out.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    The increase is based over a period of several years, by when we will hopefully have recovered some money from elsewhere. Though I realise this is perhaps a bit auspicious of us, and I may alter it to be slightly more realistic. Thanks for pointing that out.
    No problem.. I agree with any increase to be honest (particularly post-Afghan, we should be looking to scale back...)
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    why not use the wiki to outline your parties aims and polocies, it can always be set up as a link for you and other parties if you wish to have it at the top of the forum. it'll be a clearer way of outlining your policies and inform people using a resource on TSR without the need for having to create a whole thread on it.
    Sorry your quote didn't come up. I think the plan now is to have this as the new question time thread, as such it seems more fitting to keep the policies on the first page =]
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why UKIP will support both a new Thames Estuary airport and a 3rd runway at Heathrow? Surely it's one or the other.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I must say I like the Commonwealth Free Trade Zone but it's far too broad. It should be a 'Old Commonwealth' grouping of Canada, Australia, the UK and New Zealand. Enacting a free trade deal with India will destroy what little manufacturing industry we have left today.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student2806)
    May I ask why UKIP will support both a new Thames Estuary airport and a 3rd runway at Heathrow? Surely it's one or the other.
    To allow more foreigners into the country? Tee-hee, I jest :giggle:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Deport foreign preachers of hatred towards the west and, more specifically, Britian.
    What would you define 'preachers of hatred towards the west' as?
    Is it anyone critical of Britain? I hate the monarchy, and as you have described the monarchy as a 'promoting britishness' would i be deported?

If it's only aimed at those threatening violence then this is already against the law.

Ban the Burqa.
    Why does the state have the right to tell me what i should and should not wear?

Work to promote Britishness which will be achieved by supporting British sports teams, the Royal Mail, the Monarchy and British pubs.
    What is 'Britishness'?
    How does one 'promote Britishness'?
    What is the difference between 'British' pubs, and normal pubs?
    Why should i subsidise the Queen (i know she makes the treasury a profit overall, but we essentially give her money to invest)?
    How will you support 'British' sports teams and pubs?

Why do you care so much about 'British'-ness but not about regional unity? It seems someone in Glasgow has very different attitudes and values to someone in Guildford. Indeed, i don't understand what being 'British' is? Are you gonna subsidise PG tips or something?

Allow religious buildings to be built only after it has been allowed by a local referendum.

Including churches? This is surprising coming from the PCP
    But isn't this tyranny of the majority?

Re-introduce ‘The Treason Act’ under which people who harm Armed Forces personnel can be prosecuted.
    What specific forms of harm?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    UKIP what a Farce!
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    One is fully supported currently, one is to be reviewed. While the two notions have spererate statuses I felt it is right to include them both. When one is chosen as the best option, the other will be removed.
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    Deport foreign preachers of hatred towards the west and, more specifically, Britian.
    What would you define 'preachers of hatred towards the west' as?
    Is it anyone critical of Britain? I hate the monarchy, and as you have described the monarchy as a 'promoting britishness' would i be deported?

If it's only aimed at those threatening violence then this is already against the law.

Ban the Burqa.
    Why does the state have the right to tell me what i should and should not wear?

Work to promote Britishness which will be achieved by supporting British sports teams, the Royal Mail, the Monarchy and British pubs.
    What is 'Britishness'?
    How does one 'promote Britishness'?
    What is the difference between 'British' pubs, and normal pubs?
    Why should i subsidise the Queen (i know she makes the treasury a profit overall, but we essentially give her money to invest)?
    How will you support 'British' sports teams and pubs?

Why do you care so much about 'British'-ness but not about regional unity? It seems someone in Glasgow has very different attitudes and values to someone in Guildford. Indeed, i don't understand what being 'British' is? Are you gonna subsidise PG tips or something?

Allow religious buildings to be built only after it has been allowed by a local referendum.

Including churches? This is surprising coming from the PCP
    But isn't this tyranny of the majority?

Re-introduce ‘The Treason Act’ under which people who harm Armed Forces personnel can be prosecuted.
    What specific forms of harm?
    Those that are inciting hatred, usually with a racist/xenophobic basis. The Law can be changed.

Not a personal favourite policy, but on the basis of security I find it palatable, I am personally of the view that it should be put to referendum - not that this will negate your opposition.

Again, not something I'm crazy about. I think it should be taken to mean 'upholding' rather than 'promoting. Pubs, be they 'British' in nature or otherwise have become synonymous with Britian - as such they should be saved from dissapearing (a threat that is very real given the rate of closure).

A church is a religious building yes. I am not now, nor have I ever been a member, or supporter of the PCP. I am aware of TSR UKIPs unfortunate reputation and that, if I succeed in the leadership election, I inherit not only a party but a multitude of negative connotations but you should not be so presumptuous; this is not the PCP.

I'm personally not sure on the last part if I'm honest, hopefully whatever member wrote it will come along and answer you and, in that case, I defer to them. My personal opinion, initially, is that it's logically unsound - as some points indeed are - but will not go as far as saying this is a definite view until I have heard what it means. Much of what was already written before I joined was somewhat ambiguous - hence why I re-wrote much of it. Issues of clarity will be improved along with the next, more extensive, review of policy.

Thanks for your questions.
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I must say I like the Commonwealth Free Trade Zone but it's far too broad. It should be a 'Old Commonwealth' grouping of Canada, Australia, the UK and New Zealand. Enacting a free trade deal with India will destroy what little manufacturing industry we have left today.
    Indeed, and I admit to having given it little thought as of yet. I think the issue of scope is an important one, and something I will certainly flag up when I begin to address the substance of the policies in a more hollistic way - something I, and I would assume the other members before I joined, have not had time to do.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those that are inciting hatred, usually with a racist/xenophobic basis. The Law can be changed.
    How will the law be changed? Seeing as your party police is in line with current laws, it just sounds like rhetoric tbh.

Not a personal favourite policy, but on the basis of security I find it palatable, I am personally of the view that it should be put to referendum - not that this will negate your opposition.
    So why are you targeting just muslims? I can walk around with a halloween mask on and whilst i'd be laughed at it's not against the law (and i have walked around town with a santa costume before with no problems).

Again, not something I'm crazy about. I think it should be taken to mean 'upholding' rather than 'promoting. Pubs, be they 'British' in nature or otherwise have become synonymous with Britian - as such they should be saved from dissapearing (a threat that is very real given the rate of closure).
    So someone privately invests money to create a pub, but that investment is more secure because it's (supposedly) 'British'? What about the negative effects this can have on the community (24 hour drinking was a move to this)?

Surely targeting monopoly power/predatory pricing (well, oligopoly i guess) is the best way to do this? Pubs are closing at an alarming rate because people are going to cheaper pubs (how many spoons have closed down recently?) and people are drinking at home (because tesco/etc are happy to sell at a loss to bring in customers)

A church is a religious building yes. I am not now, nor have I ever been a member, or supporter of the PCP. I am aware of TSR UKIPs unfortunate reputation and that, if I succeed in the leadership election, I inherit not only a party but a multitude of negative connotations but you should not be so presumptuous; this is not the PCP.
    Well then you've might as well have joined them!
    Even if you include churches you're still causing immigrants to form their own communities, segregation, afterall, if 70% of the population of Portsmouth south was hindu i'd get a temple. As religious buildings (barring churches IIRC?) are not state funded, why is it different to any other private business?

I'm personally not sure on the last part if I'm honest, hopefully whatever member wrote it will come along and answer you and, in that case, I defer to them. My personal opinion, initially, is that it's logically unsound - as some points indeed are - but will not go as far as saying this is a definite view until I have heard what it means. Much of what was already written before I joined was somewhat ambiguous - hence why I re-wrote much of it. Issues of clarity will be improved along with the next, more extensive, review of policy.
    Alrighty, cheers.

Thanks for your questions.
    You're welcome, and cheers for a swift reply.

Good luck in the leadership race.
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    xxx
    I'm not saying it will, just that it can.

Strangely I thought about the exact same scenario just now when you flagged it up. The difference is that, if challenged by a police officer etc it is acceptible for you to remove the mask - in contrast to this the removal of the burqa would not be, an issue that is not present with a headscarf, which - I'm given to believe - is perfectly acceptible in Islam. A type of hood that covered the whole face was banned not long ago for similar reasons if my memory serves me.

The perpetual existance of our pubs will ineluctably be accompanied by a variety of ancillary actions, these will include reviews on Social costs. Supermarkets exacerbate the problem, as such - and in line with current government plans I believe - there will be moves to redress the disparity between pub and supermarket prices; this is a move tesco has expressed support for.

Sigh, no I shouldn't. My involvement in the party is new, as such my influence has yet to manifest (assuming I win the election). It strikes me as facile, and not like you from what I have seen, to make such a tenuous link tbh. This said, you're entitled to your opinion of course.

You are ignoring the fact that there are already ample religious facilities throughout the country. We do not seek the destruction of any, they will remain, simply that new ones be passed through local referendums. If your area is 70& one religion it is likely that A) other religions are catered for and B) the referendum would pass, thus providing buildings subject to need.

You're welcome, and thanks :hugs:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it will, just that it can.
    So that point was just rhetoric? Your party might as well have said "We will keep the law in line with current legislation"?

Strangely I thought about the exact same scenario just now when you flagged it up. The difference is that, if challenged by a police officer etc it is acceptible for you to remove the mask - in contrast to this the removal of the burqa would not be, an issue that is not present with a headscarf, which - I'm given to believe - is perfectly acceptible in Islam. A type of hood that covered the whole face was banned not long ago for similar reasons if my memory serves me.
    The burka is optional, so yes can be removed, but it is considered offensive. And anyway, i wouldn't allow that to happen without reasonable grounds - if the police could provide these then i'm sure anyone would comply with.

I'd not like to walk around naked either, but will be strip searched if enough evidence is around.

The perpetual existance of our pubs will ineluctably be accompanied by a variety of ancillary actions, these will include reviews on Social costs. Supermarkets exacerbate the problem, as such - and in line with current government plans I believe - there will be moves to redress the disparity between pub and supermarket prices; this is a move tesco has expressed support for.
    No, tesco expressed support for a minimum price, something that would benefit them. I am saying that you should not target alcohol or pubs specifically. Hell, your OP shouldn't mention pubs at all, the underlying causes of this are monopoly power and predatory pricing - something that would be more worthwhile targeting as a whole.

Sigh, no I shouldn't. My involvement in the party is new, as such my influence has yet to manifest (assuming I win the election). It strikes me as facile, and not like you from what I have seen, to make such a tenuous link tbh. This said, you're entitled to your opinion of course.

You are ignoring the fact that there are already ample religious facilities throughout the country. We do not seek the destruction of any, they will remain, simply that new ones be passed through local referendums. If your area is 70& one religion it is likely that A) other religions are catered for and B) the referendum would pass, thus providing buildings subject to need.
    Part 1 - If you agree with this policy, then yes, i do think PCP would have been a good home to you.

Part 2:
    Well, if you believe that a referendum on religious buildings is necessary why not a-religious? The stoner shop down the road from me offends me (:rofl). The pet shop offends PETA. As i said, all it will do is encourage tyranny of the majority - remember, homosexuality was only recently taken out of the DSM-IV (declassified as a psychological disorder).

This will cause religious people to seek to live closer together. It will segregate them - if they wanna practice their religion they will have to stay where their religious institutions are.

I take it 'ample religious facilities' is just a guess? Unless you've got figures saying every religious person lives within travelling distance of their religious institutions, in which case i accept your argument.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 22, 2014
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.