Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR UKIP Question Time

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    the building of new clean coal plants,
    What's a 'clean' coal power plant?

make cars more efficient and cut emissions.
    Internal combustion has been around for centuries, you're unlikely to make any sufficient progress here unless you are actually going to invest in something new like an electric car.

We oppose wind farms in general and require large new wind power schemes to be funded by the market.
    WHY???

Most current schemes have proved uneconomic, often operating at less than a third of capacity - sometimes less than a tenth - thereby producing a derisory amount of power.
    Rubbish.

• Plan to offer every household the right to have up to £6,500 worth of home insulation, with the costs being met from the savings that arise.
    Can we afford that? Just how much savings will this provide?

• Attempt to ensure all new homes are energy efficient by 2016.
    Very, very vague - define energy efficient.

other sources have been shown to be unreliable.
    No they're not.

• Support the efficient extraction of indigenous coal for use in cleaner, coal-fired electricity generation plants.
    Hey, mining is an inherently dangerous and dirty job necessary for the continued fuelling of our civilisation. We should be grateful that we aren't the ones doing the mining, but I can't see how you can really improve the process.

• Divert billions of pounds of funding from wasteful global warming-related spending toward environmental improvements of real value, encouraging effective methods of recycling.
    Examples please.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    As a party - No. He is a bit too cut off from reality in my mind, believing that global warming doesn't exist. It does. Scientists can prove it, and we have to do what we can to slow this change down. Personally, however (and do not take my views to be the view of the party) I do not believe that Global warming is man made. If you look at the figures, there has been at least 2 great rises in temperature, and CO2 levels since the earth bean, which peaked, and then started an ice age. Following the dates of these previous rises, the earth is on course for another such peak. We just fit into that timeline. Also, the 'film' 'an inconvenient truth' was shown to be false. The graphs they used were faulty. Any values put into the programme, would have given exactly the same shaped curve. However, this does not mean human action cannot slow down this climate change, thus I believe we should do what we can to find renewable and clean energy sources etc etc.
    Yes but do you understand the concept or rate of change?

And what has An Inconvenient Truth got to do with anything?
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What's a 'clean' coal power plant?

Internal combustion has been around for centuries, you're unlikely to make any sufficient progress here unless you are actually going to invest in something new like an electric car.

WHY???

Rubbish.

Can we afford that? Just how much savings will this provide?

Very, very vague - define energy efficient.

No they're not.

Hey, mining is an inherently dangerous and dirty job necessary for the continued fuelling of our civilisation. We should be grateful that we aren't the ones doing the mining, but I can't see how you can really improve the process.

Examples please.
    (Original post by bun)
    I personally know little about these policies, I will defer to bun - who I think wrote them.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes but do you understand the concept or rate of change?

And what has An Inconvenient Truth got to do with anything?
    Yes, that is kind of the point I was trying to make. Personally and that does not mean the party's view, I believe that Global Warming is not a man made phenomonen, but I do think we are making it worse. I would say based on graphs, that as I suggested, we are in a natural peak in terms of temp/CO2, but human activity has brought that forwards by about 500/1000 years. Therefore we have to do something about it.

As for inconvenient truth, that was simply a way of making my personal point. It has nothing to do with poicies etc.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll respond in a second although I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not necessarily assuming your [bun] view to be representative of the party and as such this discussion might be slightly off topic.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I personally know little about these policies, I will defer to bun - who I think wrote them.
    Nope, I didn't write them. Actually, I don't really agree with many of them come to think of it. I took that straight from abucha who wrote it for the last manifesto.
    I think this is certainly one area we should look to address as a party now. It is clear we didn't look at this section properly. Perhaps we were a bit rash in bringing these policies out so soon. Then again, maybe we needed someone to point out the flaws here. So thank you Smack for that. We will address this immediately.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Nope, I didn't write them. Actually, I don't really agree with many of them come to think of it. I took that straight from abucha who wrote it for the last manifesto.
    I think this is certainly one area we should look to address as a party now. It is clear we didn't look at this section properly. Perhaps we were a bit rash in bringing these policies out so soon. Then again, maybe we needed someone to point out the flaws here. So thank you Smack for that. We will address this immediately.
    We didn't adress the substance a great deal at all. I just re-write it all so it made sense and we eviscerted large chunks of the crap. Prettymuch everything bad so far was written by the previous members it seems. I'm sure after the election(and when people are done with exams) we will have plenty of time to address them properlly.

I'm glad we put them out, as I said at the time it was the best way to find the glaring flaws. Plus I was bored and fancied a debate XD

I suggest we communicate in the sub-forum about removing the policies we find overly poor for the time being.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    We didn't adress the substance a great deal at all. I just re-write it all so it made sense and we eviscerted large chunks of the crap. Prettymuch everything bad so far was written by the previous members it seems. I'm sure after the election(and when people are done with exams) we will have plenty of time to address them properlly.

I'm glad we put them out, as I said at the time it was the best way to find the glaring flaws. Plus I was bored and fancied a debate XD

I suggest we communicate in the sub-forum about removing the policies we find overly poor for the time being.
    Mm, that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure the points they made were bad, but because they wrote them, and our new members haven't, we do not know how they would have defended such policies, and IMO, we can't really defend them, they are 'bad.'

Yes, I think I agree there. We needed to see, with other people looking at them as well, where we were going wrong (which is basically, taking things from old members!)

Yes, again, I would agree, but I thought we had to say that that policy would be addressed, because it is a large policy, for which I have very few defences, thus it would seem as though we were ignoring any questions on it.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Mm, that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure the points they made were bad, but because they wrote them, and our new members haven't, we do not know how they would have defended such policies, and IMO, we can't really defend them, they are 'bad.'

Yes, I think I agree there. We needed to see, with other people looking at them as well, where we were going wrong (which is basically, taking things from old members!)

Yes, again, I would agree, but I thought we had to say that that policy would be addressed, because it is a large policy, for which I have very few defences, thus it would seem as though we were ignoring any questions on it.
    I see, I think some are just bad. I want to get the composition of the party sorted, with spokespeople for each role etcetc ad infinitum. Then we can get in with better policies. One step at a time. I currently feel very much like I'm defending other peoples policies, which is fine as I made a conscious choice to join, but this will change soon :yep:.

Reply in the sub forum please =]
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see, I think some are just bad. I want to get the composition of the party sorted, with spokespeople for each role etcetc ad infinitum. Then we can get in with better policies. One step at a time. I currently feel very much like I'm defending other peoples policies, which is fine as I made a conscious choice to join, but this will change soon :yep:.

Reply in the sub forum please =]
    I will reply in the sub-forum, but may as well bring it up here as well. I think we are in exactly the same boat here. We are having to defend some policies that we disagree with. As such, they need changing, as you have suggested.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    I will reply in the sub-forum, but may as well bring it up here as well. I think we are in exactly the same boat here. We are having to defend some policies that we disagree with. As such, they need changing, as you have suggested.
    I'm simply reluctant to get too involved pre-election as another leader may have a totally different vision for the party than me.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    i never pegged you as a UKIP type
    I'm not really. But reshaping paradigms is always an interesting, if arduous task. :yep:
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    Update:

I am the new leader of TSR UKIP.

I would like to offer my commiserations to burningnun, and wish him luck in the future =]
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Update:

I am the new leader of TSR UKIP.

I would like to offer my commiserations to burningnun, and wish him luck in the future =]
    Congrats!
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Congrats!
    Many thanks :holmes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    wooo flawless victory!

commiserations to burningnun, a worthy aversary I'm sure. Looking forward to some controversial UKIP legislation now.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks :holmes:
    Well done. SHould be interesting to see what the other right wing party gets up to :holmes:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    How many people are actually in this party?
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    wooo flawless victory!

commiserations to burningnun, a worthy aversary I'm sure. Looking forward to some controversial UKIP legislation now.
    MK reference? :awesome:

Most politics is controversial depending on who you ask :holmes:
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Well done. SHould be interesting to see what the other right wing party gets up to :holmes:
    Thanks =]

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 18, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.