The Student Room Group
Its dependant on the situation, but probably a good idea to take moments from either the left or right far side of whatever situation you are analyzsing, that way you dont have moments on both sides which helps if you need to determine the force/s needed to make anticlockwise moments = clockwise moments.
Reply 2
How would i do this question:-

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/papers/s08-980-01.pdf Q8 - Im soo confused.
Reply 3
At equilibrium, forces up (i.e. R forces at P&Q) equal forces down (i.e. the weight of the plank and any weights added to it).

In addition, equilibrium will not be maintained when the beam pivots (i.e. when the R force at either P or Q is 0 and the plank lifts up from that support).

First, draw out the model again with the weight on whichever side you fancy (personally, I'd go with the RHS because it's easier to think about it pivoting clockwise for some reason). Then think about what sorts of forces there will be when the plank starts to turn. Logically, where will the weight have to be? Then think about how to do the maths.
Reply 4
recorta
At equilibrium, forces up (i.e. R forces at P&Q) equal forces down (i.e. the weight of the plank and any weights added to it).

In addition, equilibrium will not be maintained when the beam pivots (i.e. when the R force at either P or Q is 0 and the plank lifts up from that support).

First, draw out the model again with the weight on whichever side you fancy (personally, I'd go with the RHS because it's easier to think about it pivoting clockwise for some reason). Then think about what sorts of forces there will be when the plank starts to turn. Logically, where will the weight have to be? Then think about how to do the maths.

The bit that is troubling me is that do i put the 5N weight before the Q pivot or further away from it... :s-smilie: I just dont get it.
Reply 5
Also in my teachers notes he has put:-

5x - 15 + 6Q = 6*3

where i have 6Q = 18 + 5x - 15... i thought ACM = CM? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
apo1324
The bit that is troubling me is that do i put the 5N weight before the Q pivot or further away from it... :s-smilie: I just dont get it.

Well, for the beam to pivot, it has to be after the pivot. If it were between P and Q, the beam would have to break in order to do any turning!

Latest