The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Smiley_Me
Well if I ever meet you I will let you use my discount hehe.

Oh and we do have a dinner at the Carleton.

But free jacket potatoes in Lonsdale bar on the night we move in.

A few discos too. So all good.

good good!!!!

well if you ever need 30% discount at any USC store i shall surely give you it!!! haha
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
tana
good good!!!!

well if you ever need 30% discount at any USC store i shall surely give you it!!! haha

I probably will. I'm gonna be so skint.
Reply 22
Smiley_Me
I probably will. I'm gonna be so skint.

i know-its gonna be soo weird!!!
Lol. Yes weird to be skint...that will be different HAHAHAHAHA. Errr nah
Emma2587
I don't think it's fair to say that most places in Morecambe are dumps, don't generalise your own opinion as if it's the given knowledge not everyone may think the same as you. :p:

To be fair I don't really care, I was born and raised in Lancaster / Morecambe and I know a hell of a lot more about the place than most students.
I'm new ...go easy :biggrin:! I'm into anything that has a beat to it really that doesnt blow a hole in my ear lobe (ie really loud gothic stuff...although ther are exceptions nickelback puddle mud creed etc) but my favourite music is club music, my friend asked some lad from london whether there is much club music down south n he didnt have a clue what he was on about...."club music?????" ....ppppppppppllllease tell me its not true! is liverpool the only place that does club music haha?

<<Lew>>

p.s im not a scouser "laaaa" before any1 takes the wee wee :p:
I'm easy - if it's got a beat it's got a chance :wink:

I'm talking about music by the way :wink:
Reply 27
haha

when i went to lancaster on a night out visiting a mate the music was basically cheese and commercial dance. wasnt too impressed but im shure ill get use to it. Failing that ive got some decks
Reply 28
Ma7y
haha

when i went to lancaster on a night out visiting a mate the music was basically cheese and commercial dance. wasnt too impressed but im shure ill get use to it. Failing that ive got some decks

what college you in dude?
Reply 29
We at Feedback are doing our bit to improve Lancaster's music scene. Here's a list of gigs we have lined up so far:

Saturday 8th October (upstairs at the Farmers Arms)
The Suicidal Birds - Patti Smith via PJ Harvey - punk-blues with a rock ‘n’ roll sauce.
The Violets
Adventures of Loki
The Guilty Pleasures

Friday 14th October
Thomas Truax - NYC-based anti-folk artist who plays crazy home-made instruments.
Former Bullies
Superkings

Saturday 15th October
Cherryade Label Launch Party
Steveless - Spikey, quirky, edgey, fuzzy noise pop
We Rock Like Girls Don't
Flamingo 50 (TBC)
Container Drivers
The Headlines - website coming soon

Friday 21st October
Big Joan (TBC) - Tense, raw, scabrous quasi riot-funk with smart hooks. Uneasy, addictive, clever & heavy.
Shooting At Unarmed Men (TBC) - Ex-Mclusky, Jon Chapple, bring tunes to whistle, dance or fight to.
Conrinthians (TBC)
Y'r Impossible (TBC)

Friday 28th October
Bearsuit - Boy-girl rock-cutie-killer six-piece electro disco to riot grrl noise.
Envelopes - Charming, skittering, shambling psychedelic experience from Sweden. See review here
The Seven Inches
Star27
Kr!ss Foster - local legend.

Saturday 29th October
Scout Niblett - confirmed!
Hanne Hukkelberg (TBC)

Friday 4th November
Veda Hille - Stark, provocative songs from this acclaimed Canadian. Rare non-London date.
The Neon Trees (TBC)
Superkings
Uncle Jeff

Saturday 5th November
Mika Bomb (TBC)

Friday 11th November
Persil - Heavenly blend of quirky, intelligent, melody-driven electro-pop.

Friday 18th November
Help She Can't Swim
Dirtblonde (TBC)
Y'r Impossible (TBC)

Friday 25th November - Zombie themed Fancy Dress!
Zombina and the Skeltones - Just what a horror garage pop act should be like - and they dress up as zombies too!
The V.Cs
Baby Bitch
Cogna

Friday 2nd December
Hank and Lily - Gloriously weird alt/psychedelic -country-but-altogether-unclassifiable Vancouver-based duo.
Misterlee

Friday 9th December - Christmas Party!
Misty's Big Adventure - A messy, eclectic, utterly eccentric dollop of brilliant, smile-inducing pop.

*Long Blondes gig postponed until 10th February*

For more information check out our website
Reply 30
Never heard of none of them.
Reply 31
me neither. but ill defo pop along and check em out.

anyway ive stumbled across a great night at the grizdale bar on thursdays:

http://www.grizedalebar.com/

Dj's Every Thursday Night

Playing DRUM 'N' BASS, BREAKS, HOUSE & HIP HOP in the Bar every Thursday night from 8pm.
Reply 32
Nice one. I wasn't expecting to get much d&b in Lancaster.
Reply 33
ahhhhh.... this would explain your lack of knowledge of the bands we're putting on at Feedback! They're all indie type stuff.

There used to be a good D&B night at a place called The Crypt in Lancaster but I'm not sure if they're going to get a new licence - they've been having problems for the last year.

There's sometimes D&B nights on at The Gregson Centre and The Farmers Arms where we run Feedback too but I don't think they're particularly regular. Just get your ear to the ground and check out the posters on the boards in town for things that are happening once you get to uni - the noticeboard in Marketgate (where you will get off the bus in town) is always handy for seeing what's going on.
Reply 34
yeh cool thatnks for your help :smile:
Reply 35
Originally Posted by Emma2587
I don't think it's fair to say that most places in Morecambe are dumps, don't generalise your own opinion as if it's the given knowledge not everyone may think the same as you.

To be fair I don't really care, I was born and raised in Lancaster / Morecambe and I know a hell of a lot more about the place than most students.

I'm also born and raised in Morecambe, and I wouldn't recommend it as a good night out for students, there are one or two good pubs, the Dog and Partridge and The George, but they are in Bare and Torrisholme and pretty isolated if your on a pub crawl. There's a goth night at the Morecambe Hotel if thats what your into, it's meant to be quite popular but it's not my scene really.
The Carlton is ok once you're inside but it's in a dodgy area, it's pretty cheap though, £1 for a bottle of Carlsberg last time I went.
James K
I'm also born and raised in Morecambe, and I wouldn't recommend it as a good night out for students, there are one or two good pubs, the Dog and Partridge and The George, but they are in Bare and Torrisholme and pretty isolated if your on a pub crawl. There's a goth night at the Morecambe Hotel if thats what your into, it's meant to be quite popular but it's not my scene really.
The Carlton is ok once you're inside but it's in a dodgy area, it's pretty cheap though, £1 for a bottle of Carlsberg last time I went.

The Carlton sounds like the ultimate cheesy night out. I guess it's OK until the novelty wears off! What clubs/bars would you recommend in Lancaster? Is there a top 5?
Reply 37
James K

There's a bus to and from the Carlton provided so you don't have to really worry about the area :biggrin: The Carlton on a wednesday is something you should try to experience at some point during your time at Lancaster. Even if it's just to laugh at other people! It seems to be one of those places you either love or hate.

The only thing is you have to buy your tickets on campus, they sell out pretty quickly on a monday morning especially for the first couple of weeks, and once you move off campus nobody can be bothered to go and get them (well maybe that's just because me and my housemates are lazy and don't like getting up unless we have to)!
Reply 38
lol im currently staying up leeds with my mate who's in second year. we're just doing the freshers week thing their. I know leeds usually attracts the 'big names', last year i saw the scratch perverts which made my week. Looking forward to lancaster as well, but i dont realy do cheese. I mean i will go down with my room mates and that but meh.

Im gonna be skint even before i get to lancaster.
Ma7y
lol im currently staying up leeds with my mate who's in second year. we're just doing the freshers week thing their. I know leeds usually attracts the 'big names', last year i saw the scratch perverts which made my week. Looking forward to lancaster as well, but i dont realy do cheese. I mean i will go down with my room mates and that but meh.

Im gonna be skint even before i get to lancaster.

It is the law that students must, at one point, 'do cheese'. I think it even effects your final grade if you don't participate at one point.

Latest