The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
danjc
It is the law that students must, at one point, 'do cheese'. I think it even effects your final grade if you don't participate at one point.

lol believe me ive done cheese. Went zante this year on holiday and suffered 2 weeks of it.

Theres no doubt i will participate, just i will deffo be heavily intoxicated by that point it wont matter what im listening to
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 41
danjc
The Carlton sounds like the ultimate cheesy night out. I guess it's OK until the novelty wears off! What clubs/bars would you recommend in Lancaster? Is there a top 5?

A top 5? Let me see...

It depends what you want really!

For good quality pubs there's The Water Witch and The Sun. They're both owned by the same people and sell the same beers (lots of real ales etc) but are in different locations - one is next to the canal, the other is in the centre of town.

For music, there's the Yorkshire House and The Bobbin which have good alternative juke boxes and some gigs and the Farmers Arms which has Feedback every Friday and some Saturdays - decent underground bands and eclectic music (& listed in the NME etc).

For later nights out there's the Sugarhouse of course - cheese, R&B and alt nights. There's Brookes which is generally quite tacky but is going to have a new alt night on Tuesdays starting soon.

Then there's Liquid, Toast, Revolution, The Lounge and Hustle which you will all be made very familiar with during Freshers Week - they are all late licence and sell cheap drinks. Oh and there's the Litton Tree, Walkabout and Chicago Rock but I would seriously steer clear of those places!

You're best off just discovering all these places for yourselves though. Oh and expect to eat one meal in three in Wetherspoons or Bella Italia for your first few weeks!

Enjoy :smile:
Reply 42
Ma7y
lol im currently staying up leeds with my mate who's in second year. we're just doing the freshers week thing their. I know leeds usually attracts the 'big names', last year i saw the scratch perverts which made my week. Looking forward to lancaster as well, but i dont realy do cheese. I mean i will go down with my room mates and that but meh.

Im gonna be skint even before i get to lancaster.

Mate, you will be down for a few good d&b nights here in Leeds if you stay till the 30th.

SUB DUB!
Reply 43
A top 5 is pretty tricky, it depends what your after, and which night. I like Revolution, thats one of the late license places, its near KFC, across from the Farmers Arms. I also like the Friary and Firkin, it's a church thats been converted into a pub, it's a good place to go and watch football, and is quite cheap if you have a yellow card.
Varsity seems quite good on a Wednesday, i've only been once, but it was only £1.25 a pint. It got quite busy though as lots of people go to Toast on a wednesday night for RnB night, but it empties at about 9 because if you get into Toast before 10 it's free, but the ques are massive.
The Lounge is another ok, studenty, type bar on the way up to Revolution, I think they have an extended license too, but it's not open til 2 every night.
Bentley's has re-opened but I haven't been in since it has, that used to be a good place to stop off and get a fishbowl with my mates before we headed up to Revolution or down to Toast.
The Wagon and Horses on the quay used to be a stop off point on our 18-holer pub crawl we used to do for peoples birthday's, it's a bit away from the town centre, but it's good beer.
Lounge is good and has a dance floor area on the first floor, nice drinks - Thursdays is the best night to go there.

Liquid, the Sugarhouse are all ok very student friendly on monday for Liquid. I woudl avoid it on Fri/Sat nights as it is open to anyone then.

Rev is ok , but watch your drink there ladies!!
LittleMiss
Lounge is good and has a dance floor area on the first floor, nice drinks - Thursdays is the best night to go there.

Liquid, the Sugarhouse are all ok very student friendly on monday for Liquid. I woudl avoid it on Fri/Sat nights as it is open to anyone then.

Rev is ok , but watch your drink there ladies!!

Revolution's a great bar in my experience - spent this weekend in Newcastle and went to Revolution there which was excellent.

I was surprised to see the absence of a Yates's in Lancaster - there's usually one there somewhere! Unless I missed it...
Reply 46
so revolution is a chain?

I went to one in leeds which was funky, so hope the lancaster one is similar.

edit: no yates :eek:

man i much prefer my yates to mr weatherspoon :mad:
Reply 47
I've never been in, but apparently the Blob Shop, across Dalton Square, opposite Walkabout's front entrance is a Yate's now. Like I said, i've never been in, but one of my friends told me it is.
Reply 48
The Blob Shop has always been a Yates but it's one of the posher ones - the name 'blob' is actually some kind of drink that Yates sold in their very early days or something (I'm sure there's something on the website about it).

The only problem with the Blob Shop is that it's tatty, empty and full of middle aged people. I hear it's good for playing pool during the day though.

Revolution is a huge chain that sells overpriced drinks and plays awful music very loudly. It does, however, have the advantage of opening late and having free entry. With the new licencing laws coming in soon they may lose this advantage soon.
Reply 49
Feedback
The Blob Shop has always been a Yates but it's one of the posher ones - the name 'blob' is actually some kind of drink that Yates sold in their very early days or something (I'm sure there's something on the website about it).

The only problem with the Blob Shop is that it's tatty, empty and full of middle aged people. I hear it's good for playing pool during the day though.

Revolution is a huge chain that sells overpriced drinks and plays awful music very loudly. It does, however, have the advantage of opening late and having free entry. With the new licencing laws coming in soon they may lose this advantage soon.

think the one i went in had a funky night. They had like a live band with bongo's and that. was quality. Actually is that the revolution im thinking of. lol in leeds theres a revolution, creation and an evolution. hmmm im probably wrong.
Reply 50
toast is awesome on a monday night, its indie rock nite and theres usually alot of cool people about. liquid is next too toast however i think their sufferin abit at the mo, i went there a couple of saturdays ago, and even on their big dancefloor upstairs it was pretty quite!

revolution is a good place, however its at the top of town, and if your like me, and you cant be arsed walkin up hill when your drunk then you may not go there. plus, the dance floor is really small, so its more of a meet n greet place rather than a full on club. the blob shop is a alrite, if not full of a few old people but its ok.

the walkabout is in the middle...ish of town and its a good spot to go to... before goin off to toast of liquid, its got a average size dancefloor, but its free entry so that all good! :smile:

louge is ok, but its more of a social place i find, its the type of place you get a drink or 2 and leave. hustle is a good place with free entry most nites, theres also a guy on the street most nites giving out free leaflets for free entry and cheaper alcohol. plus its open till 2 which is good!

theres loads of places in lancaster most of which you wont see until youve been at the uni for a short while, however theres summat for everyone! a good student bar is keystones at the top of town, theres a couple of pool tables and a large outdoor area which is good for having a few drinks at every so often. varisty is also good on a wednesday nite for cheap alcohol! even though lancaster is a small place, theres a lot to go at!
Reply 51
Or you could always venture to Preston hehe. :rolleyes:
Reply 52
JoeFen
Mate, you will be down for a few good d&b nights here in Leeds if you stay till the 30th.

SUB DUB!

U prob will already own this, but if not. Go get it :cool:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=399918
Reply 53
Ma7y

Aye I got that. Steppa played Slam as the last song at last Sub Dub. How long you down in Leeds for?

There was a good night at Leeds Met last night apparantely, HYPE, GROOVERIDER, MAMPI SWIFT, RATPACK all there.
Reply 54
JoeFen
Aye I got that. Steppa played Slam as the last song at last Sub Dub. How long you down in Leeds for?

There was a good night at Leeds Met last night apparantely, HYPE, GROOVERIDER, MAMPI SWIFT, RATPACK all there.

went home yesterday mate. Had my mate tellin me on msn about it.
Reply 55
Ma7y
went home yesterday mate. Had my mate tellin me on msn about it.

Cool. I'll be tripping back to Leeds quite a lot so hop on a train and we can do some d&b nights :cool:
Reply 56
deffo mate

Latest