The Student Room Group

Have you got a British accent?

Scroll to see replies

According to my step dad, it took me about 3 months after I first came to England to speak in a southern-ish accent.
I alter my accent depending on the person I'm talking to. I do it unconsciously though. When I'm talking to people above 30 I pretty much talk in standard English, but never with my friends.

No such thing as a British accent ~ Have to inform Yanks of that fact very regularly!
got a good old yorkshire accent :smile:
Reply 83
no biggie
It takes time but you'll get there hopefully :smile:
I am determined to get one even if it means I have to watch conoration street and east enders :biggrin:

Haha, feel for you lol

I'm not really that desperate tbh, won't cry if it doesn't happen, but would be nice :smile:
I know someone who actually speaks like the old man here:

Reply 85
Is there even such a thing as a British accent anymore?
I wouldn't have though I had an accent but then I'm obviously surrounded by people who have the same accent...
Reply 86
Mine's just a general southern English accent, except I pronounce certain words with a hard 'a' like 'grass' instead of 'gr-ah-ss'.
Reply 87
I was born in Britain. I have an Iraqui Accent. I was raised up in Londonistan
Reply 88
Its a straight london vibe for me, i can mix it up from posh kensington to NORF
I have a Scouse accent. That's definitely not British.
Reply 90
no biggie

(if I had said English accent then there would have been the whole American/England/Australia/other countries debate)

No there wouldn't.
An English accent is the accept of a person who comes from england, not america ;/
Even though this is aimed at international students apparently, I'm going to answer anyway. Yeah. I have a posh Cornish accent (They really do exist, honest!) but I want an Irish accent...I love Irish accents sooooo much. I don't care what part of Ireland it is as long as it's Irish. Shame they'd murder me as soon as I spoke though. Sorry, that's irrelevant. Yeah, I've had it all my life and stubbornly kept it even though I haven't lived in Cornwall for 10 years. :P
Quite strong Welsh - Scottish and English girls love it. :biggrin:
I can do Scottish and English pretty well too.
Reply 93
no biggie
If that is the case, which one and how long did it take you to get it? was it difficult?
I can do easily do an American-ish one but find British a lot harder (and I feel silly talking to myself in a terrible impersonation of the queen )

I want one. It is one of the main reasons for me wanting to study in the UK along with total immersion in the culture/language :biggrin:

*edit*
I know you have got lots of different accents and dialects, I meant for British to cover them all.
Guess I hit a sore spot there and here I thought I was being diplomatic
(if I had said English accent then there would have been the whole American/England/Australia/other countries debate)

And this thread was kinda aimed at international students :wink:

Judge for yourself.
Why are people getting so pissy over the people saying "British accent". They use it exactly the same as we say "American accent" even though there are hundreds of American accents.
Reply 95
My 'accent' is a completely stereotypical Standard English, as far as I can tell [and that is not just me assuming] with no regional accent [not that a regional accent isn't awesome] :smile:.
Reply 96
i've got a northern accent because my dad's american my family in america take the mick out of my british accent but i stayed with them for a month or two and picked it up.

don't worry you'll pick it up in no time
I've been told I have a 'proper' London accent whatever that means :smile:
Reply 98
I've got a boring, non-existant accent, yes :frown:
Other accents are so much better, especially American, everything they say sounds a lot more interesting
rah rah rah.
noone i know speaks like thee queen merttt.

i think id cry if i spoke posh!
good ol' northern accent does thee trick every time [=

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending