The Student Room Group

Good a levels choice?

Hi, Ive come to my decision of what i would like to study at Alevel,
I have finally Chosen:
-Maths Mechanics
-Physics
-Economics
and Art

they fit together well (excluding art , im just doing that because its a hobby)
And i have good grades in most of them considering i got 2 As in Physics and an A* for the coursework

And i also am working at an A or B grade for Maths so that is fine

I am a year 11 student and i was just wondering , Do you think these options sound good or too difficult?? :confused:
Also what Careers do you think these a levels could lead to ( list please)

Thank you very much

Sophia:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you just do normal maths, instead of mechanics?

Art will consume alot of your time. And with the subjects that you have got, I don't think it will go down to well. But I guess it depends on the type of person you are.

The list of careers can go on for years, so I won't list them. I think they are pretty obvious.
Art is very time consuming and you may struggle to keep on top of your work given that you are taking maths and physics. Also, what is maths mechanics? Just take maths. You could take further maths with the others.
I'd really recommend against doing art if you're planning to do those subjects.
I got A* in art GCSE and decided to take graphics for a level, I really really really can't wait to drop it now, it takes up so much time and money and when you're supposed to be revising, you have deadlines that have to be met.
So unless you have your heart set on an artistic career, I wouldn't do it.
Reply 4
For maths, I genuinely recommend, unless you are going to get an A* do not do it. I know so many people who actually did get A*'s in Maths, but got an E/U in the first modules. Unless you are willing to work up to 2 hours + a night then select something else, but if you need it then I guess you'll just have to work really hard :smile: hope that helps !
Reply 5
Agreed with the Art taking up a lot of your time. Don't fall behind or you'll be screwed :s-smilie:

As for careers, I think it would be a tight choice. I've chosen
Maths A2 (already doing AS)
Chemsitry
History
French
and I'm always being told that I'm keeping my options open (which I think is a good thing, cos I don't even know what I want to do at uni :p:)

I had a careers meeting, if you can get that at your school, it would probably be very helpful, I got tons of advice.
I did the Stamford test in that meeting:
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/choosingcourses/choosingcourse/stamfordtest
You answer things like 'I would like to work with children/vulnerable adults' - Yes, No, Maybe
and it gives you a list of things you could study at the end and details on those. That could help you :smile:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ -- I haven't looked at it, but you can put in subjects and see what jobs you could do. It's more like graduate jobs, and I know it's A levels for you, but it can give you an idea.

So I think, art will take up all your time, be careful with that. Also your options seem very specific.

My friend once said that if she set up her own company, she would only hire people who got A*s at GCSE Art, because it's so hard to get :woo:
I think unis are looking more favourably on art now, but I wouldn't know :wink:
hope that helps :biggrin:
I haven't started my A-Levels yet, but I have friends who do art A-Level, and they all consider it to be too time-consuming and I think all but two are dropping it next year - they're the ones who want artistic careers. Seeing how they struggle to juggle revision and art deadlines, I'd advise against it unless you're passionate about art or think you'll be able to juggle it really well.
Reply 7
Kaskade
For maths, I genuinely recommend, unless you are going to get an A* do not do it. I know so many people who actually did get A*'s in Maths, but got an E/U in the first modules. Unless you are willing to work up to 2 hours + a night then select something else, but if you need it then I guess you'll just have to work really hard :smile: hope that helps !

lol
2 hours a night is excessive. All you need to do is complete homework, and if you still don't understand something then practice it. Past Papers are a must.
Reply 8
Hmmmm, as long as you are willing to do lots of work in your own time!
I'm doing;
Chemistry
Biology
Eng Lit
History
2 art subject alongside 2 sciences - keeping my options opened
Reply 9
Kaskade

Don't be ridiculous, maths is no where near that bad :yep:
i did art a-level, it was VERY time consuming (i did it with photography as well) i'd only do it if you REALLY enjoy it & can organize time well. :smile:
sophiie2k10
I have finally Chosen:
-Maths Mechanics
-Physics
-Economics
and Art

And i have good grades in most of them considering i got 2 As in Physics and an A* for the coursework

I am a year 11 student and i was just wondering , Do you think these options sound good or too difficult?? :confused:

Thank you very much

I think they are good choices, except for Art (although it is only a hobby...)

Good luck with everything.

Elizabeth
Reply 12
JayAyy
lol
2 hours a night is excessive. All you need to do is complete homework, and if you still don't understand something then practice it. Past Papers are a must.

Woahhhh, do you actually do Maths A-level? And did you get an A* at gcse?
Reply 13
WBoy92
Don't be ridiculous, maths is no where near that bad :yep:

Stastitics: 80% Drop out, and do not continue to do the second year,
only 20% achieve D and above after both years :smile:
And unless, as I said you got an A* at gcse, it is generally accepted as the hardest subject.
Reply 14
Kaskade
Woahhhh, do you actually do Maths A-level? And did you get an A* at gcse?

Yes and yes.
Reply 15
Kaskade
Stastitics: 80% Drop out, and do not continue to do the second year,
only 20% achieve D and above after both years :smile:
And unless, as I said you got an A* at gcse, it is generally accepted as the hardest subject.

Well I did get an A* in GCSE maths, so I guess I can't argue.
sophiie2k10
I have finally Chosen:
-Maths Mechanics
-Physics
-Economics
and Art

Thank you very much

I do a performing arts course as a hobby alongside media studies, history and french- which is bloody easy compared to what you're thinking of doing, yet I still find performing arts extremely time consuming and it's hard to stay on top of all my revision if I've got a portfolio due in or w/e.

With A-level, I wouldn't take something as a 'hobby', they are things that are going to get you into university and you should just really see them as a means to an end. I took performing arts because I got an A* in drama, and I couldn't bear to give it up- but looking back on it, I so wish I didn't....it was a really silly choice on my part. :frown:

If you want to take something for a bit of fun- just do three a-levels and have some free time, rather than doing something that may possibly damage your other subjects.

But your choices seem quite good really, though I would say- choose just ordinary maths instead of maths mechanics- and for a fourth choice if you didn't continue art, maybe pick up further maths or maybe business to complement economics....?
Reply 17
JayAyy
Yes and yes.

Then that is why you find it alright. Would you honestly say that someone who got a C or B would do well without doing lots of extra work? People who get A* even don't do well, so you knowwww
Reply 18
Kaskade
Then that is why you find it alright. Would you honestly say that someone who got a C or B would do well without doing lots of extra work? People who get A* even don't do well, so you knowwww

I'm just saying 2 hours a night is excessive. Teacher give that advice (so it adds up to 8 hours a night for 4 subjects).

I know people with A* GCSE in maths who struggled, and people with As and Bs who did better than them.
Reply 19
OK OK ,
the reason im doing Maths Mechanics is because Im doing Physics and Mechanics goes well with Physics

Considering the Art, I think you guys have given me some good advice even though I LOVE THE SUBJECT SOO MUCH! Art is like my Passion seriously I really do not want to give it up, But i guess listening to lechaton-x i might have to leave it and just keep it as a hobbyh instead of an a level your advise was very helpful, I really dont want to let art go though

Ill talk to my parents about it again
Thanks people x Sophia

Latest