The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Its quite big, but if you did well in AS, and dropping one subject, it actually is far less pressure imo
Reply 21
Why is everyone so concerned with this 'transition'? It should all be a natural progression of what you've done before, so there really is no jump.
Reply 22
marshmallowfudgecake
get a ******* life you sad sad excuse of a human being.
enjoy time off for a bit. JHeezuz!
It's people like you on tsr that really piss me off.

thank you! finally someone with some sense! +rep
Reply 23
I don't think A2 subjects are that much more difficult than they are at AS.
i'm doing biology, chemistry and philosophy & ethics. this year i've actually found philosophy & ethics easier. chemistry is a bit harder at A2 but mainly there's just more work. if you understand it at AS you'll find it easy to understand the next year because the work just follows on. A2 biology more difficult than at AS, but the transition is nowhere near as much as it is from GCSE to AS
I've heard a lot about the transition from AS to A2 being a lot harder than the step up from GCSE to AS. Is it just harder in terms of content or quantity?
Kaskade
I do Psychology, History, ICT and RE...
how about you?

Apart from ICT, i took all those subjects at AS and A2. I thought the step up in amount on knowledge you needed after AS was pretty high as was the workload, much more so than the step up from GCSE to AS, but it certainly wasn;t impossible. As long as you continue to work you should be absolutely fine :smile:
Reply 26
I dunno about other subjects, but maths is no problem. I'm doing maths edexcel C3 and the papers just bore me doe to how easy they are. I'll probably be screaming once I start the other subjects though.
Reply 27
Kaskade
Just finished my AS exams, but wondering how big is the transition from AS to A2? is it as big as gcse? Also, when adding up UCAS points, do you add AS and A2 seperately? or just A2

hows the transition from gcse to AS? lol
For my subjects its different in each one
In law its more the amount you have to do, you get much more work to learn in the same space of time
in psychology its just how you lay out the essays rather than the infomation you learn
and sociology well there wasnt really much of a step up at all
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Yeah, we started A2 straight after AS exams, so it was unavoidable.. lol
But I would say if you found GCSE to AS really hard, you might find it easier to cope with the same jump again.
I found the jump from GCSE to AS in a subject like maths to be not that significant..
But then A2 came along and wow, I was taken by surprise.
All it takes is finding more effective ways to revise and learn as you go along. At A2, cramming just doesn't cut it..
Reply 30
Maths is just a gradual step up (although I did Further maths so maybe a bit different).

ICT - theory is the same in difficulty but the coursework is massive (not conceptually hard, just needs a lot of work)

Physics - much more interesting than AS, a lot more to remember, but about the same difficulty conceptually.

Chemistry - probably the biggest leap; especially organic chemistry. Quite a high step up.
Reply 31
n33t
hows the transition from gcse to AS? lol

Very big, be prepared to work :]
Reply 32
The transition isn't too bad at first but then as you get further in the year, you get lazier and lazier so things become wayyyy too much effort and things seem much harder...but it's not too bad :smile:
Reply 33
tkwan196
thank you! finally someone with some sense! +rep

trooooolll...
Reply 34
Well I started it...
History seems easier,
RS seems no different
ICT coursework which I love
PSYCHOLOGY DROPPED. yeah.
Kaskade
Just finished my AS exams, but wondering how big is the transition from AS to A2? is it as big as gcse? Also, when adding up UCAS points, do you add AS and A2 seperately? or just A2

I only really noticed the tranisation in business stuides not in geograph or economics.
Reply 36
marshmallowfudgecake
get a ******* life you sad sad excuse of a human being.
enjoy time off for a bit. JHeezuz!
It's people like you on tsr that really piss me off.

How exactly do people like that effect you?

You're just rude. Nobody wants you here.

I did maths, further maths and economics and the only difference I found was that they are different modules. Erm, yeah it's harder but only because it's based on stuff from AS. No more or less work.

Latest