The Student Room Group

Scottish Science Baccalaureate

Right, the Scottish Science Baccalaureate was recommended for me, so i said I'd take it, this was a few months ago. I have to go to a college in my town to start it today at 1.30.
I am considering pulling out. How well respected is this baccalaureate as I've heard that no-one really cares about it tbh. What use is this qualification apart form to waste my time and distract me from my advanced highers?

Ps the AH's I'm taking are bio, chem, phys and maths

Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Sorry to bump so quickly but II'd really like some quick answers please :smile:
Reply 2
There isn't much use to the qualification. I don't recommend it especially since you'll have 3 investigations. If you can come up with a strong idea that you are genuinely interested in for the baccalaureate then maybe go for it.
davidmarsh01
Right, the Scottish Science Baccalaureate was recommended for me, so i said I'd take it, this was a few months ago. I have to go to a college in my town to start it today at 1.30.
I am considering pulling out. How well respected is this baccalaureate as I've heard that no-one really cares about it tbh. What use is this qualification apart form to waste my time and distract me from my advanced highers?

Ps the AH's I'm taking are bio, chem, phys and maths

Thanks for any help :smile:

For the love of god stay well away!! I did it last year for a few months but the SQA guidance was rubbish and the workload was insane.

You already have 3 investigations to do. Focus on them.
Reply 4
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
For the love of god stay well away!! I did it last year for a few months but the SQA guidance was rubbish and the workload was insane.

You already have 3 investigations to do. Focus on them.

Could you please elaborate on how bad you feel this qualification is?
Reply 5
Dado Prso
There isn't much use to the qualification. I don't recommend it especially since you'll have 3 investigations. If you can come up with a strong idea that you are genuinely interested in for the baccalaureate then maybe go for it.

Did you do it at all, or is this solely based on how you view it?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'd just like to know :smile:
davidmarsh01

I didn't finish it no. It was recommended for me too. I started my project for it but there was hardly any SQA guidance on what they actually wanted. Last year was the pilot too so the unis weren't recognising it anyway.

Hopefully things are better now :smile: It's just up to you, I would rather do well in my AH's than potentially do ok in them and have the baccalaureate. There will be teething problems with it for the next few years...
Reply 7
It's hard to judge how respected it is since it's only been running for a year...

If you think you can do the extra work then go for it, it's something else for the CV. If not then I doubt you'll be significantly disadvantaged.
Reply 8
davidmarsh01

I was asked to do it but I couldn't come up with an idea that I was genuinely interested in so didn't bother. About 8 people in my year started it and only 1 finished it because they didn't realise there is actually quite a lot of work in it.

Like the other person said there is also little guidance from the SQA on what they are actually looking for in a project.
Reply 9
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I didn't finish it no. It was recommended for me too. I started my project for it but there was hardly any SQA guidance on what they actually wanted. Last year was the pilot too so the unis weren't recognising it anyway.

Hopefully things are better now :smile: It's just up to you, I would rather do well in my AH's than potentially do ok in them and have the baccalaureate. There will be teething problems with it for the next few years...

I have to walk to this college now which is about a mile to tell them I'm pulling out ffs. Fml. The folk on the phone were useless bastards
Reply 10
Doesn't sound that good tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending