The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Business Management?

Possibly a bit of a strange question here.
But, I am currently torn between picking one of these two subjects. I am just starting 6th year, I done 5 Highers last year and got predicted AAABB. I am going for either a course in Computer Science or Software Engineering - I am not actually aware of the differences apart from Software Engineering including a work placement. (From Strathclydes site, the first 2 years are the same, 3rd is similar and 4th is similar.)

This year I am, partially, self teaching AH Computing. I am in a Higher class and should be able to ask the teacher for help whenever its needed.

Also doing Higher French.

Now question comes down to one of these two subjects listed in the title. Computing teacher suggests chemistry to leave my options more open if I decide not to go with either of my University choices and chuck computing (which I don't think is likely to happen)

But, at other courses I have looked at it, Chemistry is not required.

For example,

Physics (obviously)
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Electronics and Software Engineering
Microcomputer Systems Engineering

I expect to get a conditional this year.

I do not want to do Chemistry because I feel I would have a much easier year doing Business.

But I know that really, Chemistry probably is the better option.

Please, help me out someone.

EDIT: Also, when for example, a course like Theoretical Physics requires ABBB, preferably with two science subjects, would Maths and Physics be counted as two sciences?

Last year I done Physics, English, Maths, Graphics, Computing
Reply 1
Brumski
Possibly a bit of a strange question here.
But, I am currently torn between picking one of these two subjects. I am just starting 6th year, I done 5 Highers last year and got predicted AAABB. I am going for either a course in Computer Science or Software Engineering - I am not actually aware of the differences apart from Software Engineering including a work placement. (From Strathclydes site, the first 2 years are the same, 3rd is similar and 4th is similar.)

This year I am, partially, self teaching AH Computing. I am in a Higher class and should be able to ask the teacher for help whenever its needed.

Also doing Higher French.

Now question comes down to one of these two subjects listed in the title. Computing teacher suggests chemistry to leave my options more open if I decide not to go with either of my University choices and chuck computing (which I don't think is likely to happen)

But, at other courses I have looked at it, Chemistry is not required.

For example,

Physics (obviously)
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Electronics and Software Engineering
Microcomputer Systems Engineering

I expect to get a conditional this year.

I do not want to do Chemistry because I feel I would have a much easier year doing Business.

But I know that really, Chemistry probably is the better option.

Please, help me out someone.

EDIT: Also, when for example, a course like Theoretical Physics requires ABBB, preferably with two science subjects, would Maths and Physics be counted as two sciences?

Last year I done Physics, English, Maths, Graphics, Computing

I'd say that chemistry would be a good option here. Another science wouldn't hurt....but I'm biased :P It's a really respected Higher, and if you're going to physics then it's a must.

And yes maths and physics can be counted as two sciences.
Reply 2
Seriously, thanks to both of you for the input.

After speaking to the head of the business department today I feel a little different. He has decided to do Accounting instead of Economics - for various reasons. I am now tempted to drop French and do Accounting based on the way he sold the course to us, it sounds like it wont be TOO hard. Still undecided about Business or Chemistry, I am leaning towards Business though. It would literaly mean I would be in the same 2 classrooms that are next to each other all year haha.

I know it may be better doing Chimstry, but I don't know if I could face going to a subject every day that I don't like. I have some time to think about it, although I would rather get it sorted before the summer.

Latest

Trending

Trending