The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

JW92
"Your dad works for my dad! Your dad works for my dad! Nana naaa naa!"
University of Sheffield students to their Sheffield Hallam (Polytechnic) counterparts during the annual 'Varsity' matches.

Sauce.

I know someone who goes to Plymouth and he said their chant towards Marjon is "We go somewhere you don't go! Uni! Uni!". Even the ex-polys like to have someone to look down on.
Reply 21
Dnator
Have you seriously never been to a varsity game?

Nope :p:
Oh yeah all the time! But no one at my school would even consider going to an ex-poly for a second, so we always make fun of the people who go to them, especially as we have one in our town and we banter about people having to go there if they fail their exams.
Reply 23
Not very much. A lot of people at my sixth form are going to ex-polys, because half of them want to do fashion or something like that, so I haven't seen much of it at school.
Reply 24
Haven't come across ex-poly bashing, but I've had a few snide comments from people when they ask where I study: "Warwick? Oh I suppose you think you're better than me." Err, no. :confused:
Only at a few open days for particular universities.
I haven't yet.
Reply 27
Only when my teachers are being snobby about which Nottingham I'm going to...
Reply 28
Not properly but when I was out on a Wednesday (student night in Cambridge), I was in Wetherspoons with friends. A guy from one of the Cambridge colleges comes up and asks which college we were all from? Once we said we weren't, and from ARU instead. He went 'Oh' and walked off! How rude.
Reply 29
Every time I go on a night out and the bus is shared between Manchester University students and ManMet students. When everyone's sober, not so much.
A lot of people at my school like to bash ex polys. They are so stuck up and annoying. At open days you get a lot of people making fun of ex polys for some reason.
Mr Smurf
Or does it only happen on TSR?

I had never even heard of an ex-poly until I discovered TSR :biggrin:.

Newcastle Vs Northumbria.

Lots of Poly vs Posh bar crawls. Stan Calvert Cup is massive between the 2 uni's.

All in the name of banter though!!! except Newcastle consistently comes out on top.....

Typical poly bashing:

Your dad works for my dad.
Early Learning Centre <-when referring to Northumbria.
McDonald's official sponsors of Northumbria university. <-Personal favourite.
Reply 32
I used to waitress at Nottingham Uni... I've heard plenty.
Reply 33
No but then i do not hangaround with stuck up pretentious cretins
ish90an
In a club in Glasgow, one of my friends: "He goes to Cali, all you need to get in is a ******* pencil and you get a degree for finding the power button"
In a mock presentation, this gem came up:"And to test usability for disabled people, we went to Cali"

Haha! I like this one. Weirdly enough, Caley seem to think they're the business this year. I got an offer of AA (including an already achieved AB) from them, whereas Edinburgh gave me a BB offer. Crazy stuff.

In answer to the OP, I've never heard of polytechnics or poly-bashing outside of TSR.
EDIT: Come to think of it, I've come across subtle bashing and definite snobbery, mostly between Abertay and Dundee. A few of my friends joke about having to go to Abertay if they muck up their exams, and imply that it's crap. So, yeah!
It can work the opposite way round at Varsity matches and the like.

Coventry University vs. University of Warwick!!!!!!!
Reply 36
I go to Durham, I'm not sure there is anything I haven't heard people looking down on.
Only when it's a red-brick vs ex-poly student night.

JW92
"Your dad works for my dad! Your dad works for my dad! Nana naaa naa!"
University of Sheffield students to their Sheffield Hallam (Polytechnic) counterparts during the annual 'Varsity' matches.

Sauce.

It happens in towns where there are two universities. But it works the other way round "poly not posh", "rather be a poly than a ****" etc.

They're thick, they're scum, they're full of hallam cum. Uni girls, uni girls. :awesome:
Reply 38
When I told my friend I go to UWE and not Bristol Uni, she was like, "Why would you move four hours away to go to the crap uni?" :rolleyes: but she's pretty conservative.
Reply 39
ish90an
In a club in Glasgow, one of my friends: "He goes to Cali, all you need to get in is a ******* pencil and you get a degree for finding the power button"
In a mock presentation, this gem came up:"And to test usability for disabled people, we went to Cali"

:laugh: Sweet Caley High

Latest

Trending

Trending