The Student Room Group

AQA Comp 3 exam!?

I've been revising for the Comp 3 exam from the Nelson Thornes A2 textbook, I just did the Comp 3 specimen paper and it has binary trees in it. Now binary trees aren't in the textbook which is the official one to accompany the exam, thata all well and good because I've searched them up online and I know what they are now. HOWEVER I was wondering if any of you guys know what else is missing from the textbook? I don't wanna go into the exam and have massive chunks missing from my knowledge just cause the textbook doesn't cover it.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Use the topic list in the specification.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2510-W-SP-10.PDF
Reply 2
Ozzieing
I've been revising for the Comp 3 exam from the Nelson Thornes A2 textbook, I just did the Comp 3 specimen paper and it has binary trees in it. Now binary trees aren't in the textbook which is the official one to accompany the exam, thata all well and good because I've searched them up online and I know what they are now. HOWEVER I was wondering if any of you guys know what else is missing from the textbook? I don't wanna go into the exam and have massive chunks missing from my knowledge just cause the textbook doesn't cover it.

Thanks in advance!

To be honest, the majority of it is in the textbook. Ive been through it and even if its small detail it is in there. Binary trees are mentioned in passing, either way just think of it as a normal tree traversal with values stored at the nodes which is identified at the root node. Although im not overly confident bout this exam :P

Basically, make sure you know commands such as Dispose and New in object oriented (small detail but in a past question i had to do). As well as learn adv and disadv for lots of things such as lists and their different implementations.
Reply 3
I don't think hash tables are in the book. Everything that isn't in the book seems to be in the teacher resources section of the AQA site though.
Reply 4
the book seems terrible, and this exam is also really hard to revise for, what with their being no past papers. it's horrible, i don't see how anyone could do well!!
Reply 5
Beenman500
the book seems terrible, and this exam is also really hard to revise for, what with their being no past papers. it's horrible, i don't see how anyone could do well!!

I dunno if you got this, but we got given a massive set of Exam questions booklet which is done by AQA. Although tbh, im finding some of the answers rubbish and not stuff weve been taught. Im just hoping this exam is easy like last summers Comp1!
Reply 6
This is a horrible exam :mad: :mad:
Reply 7
Ozzieing

Thanks in advance!

Hey, in response to your statement I am also finding stuff a bit 'patchy'

******** myself cause its tomorrow but the only 'past-papers' we've been given are these zig-zag learning things. Found one question in there on matrices, but (correct me if I am wrong) I am fairly sure it's never been in the exam...

with any hope it will be just like last summers comp1 and you'll find you just 'know' everything because the theory has been drilled in so hard :smile:
Reply 8
Is everyone just cramming now? because i seriously cannot do anything more now im so bored lol. Ive learnt networks off by heart and i -believe- i know the majority of the stuff although im still scared as lmao.

What to do?!
here are the past papers guys and yes i agree the answers to some of the questions are RUBBISH

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R3Y7DXCG
Pretty sure they are going to throw in simulations which we would least expect
Ozzieing

Thanks in advance!

Tree's are covered on Page 112 of the textbook although not in magnificent detail.

The only thing not covered as mentioned is hashing.
Reply 12
I'm dreading this exam. I read the entire comp 3 section of the A2 book (although I'm not sure how much of it went in) and then tried a practise paper, and it was insanely hard. Even though it was topics that are in the book, they ask you in a really weird way. Ugh. Can't wait for monday to be gone.
Reply 13
This exam is ******* ******** and same thing with specification which does not say exactly what do we have do DEFINE and what do we have to USE.

God, please I need at least 50% for A :frown:
Reply 14
Thanks for the help guys!

I've completely bombed in the mock. Its nothing like the book. I'm sorry but this course is appalling.
Reply 15
Ozzieing
Thanks for the help guys!

I've completely bombed in the mock. Its nothing like the book. I'm sorry but this course is appalling.

the mock was so horrible, i did it before half term and would have been lucky to get 50%, how can they expect you to write a recursive function like that :frown:
Beenman500
the mock was so horrible, i did it before half term and would have been lucky to get 50%, how can they expect you to write a recursive function like that :frown:

The recursive function isn't that bad. Worked through:

if current.pointer != 0 then
function(current.pointer)
else
write(current.text)

Upon hitting the else it will then unwind the stack outputting all of the items from the list in reverse.
Reply 17
Ehh i did okay in the mock, though the mock was knda easier than i was expecting hopefully the exam is like that. Just been doing questions, not too bad, hopefully some network stuff like baseband, broadband and parallel data transmission etc come up.
Reply 18
ExcessNeo
The recursive function isn't that bad. Worked through:

if current.pointer != 0 then
function(current.pointer)
else
write(current.text)

Upon hitting the else it will then unwind the stack outputting all of the items from the list in reverse.

i got it in the end, but it was just tricky thats all. I lost most of my marks on picky little stuff.

hopefully there will be low grade boundaries this year, last year's written paper needed about 60% for an A, maybe this year will be the same
Reply 19
Beenman500
i got it in the end, but it was just tricky thats all. I lost most of my marks on picky little stuff.

hopefully there will be low grade boundaries this year, last year's written paper needed about 60% for an A, maybe this year will be the same

60%?!!!?!?!?!

What, i need 63% for my B lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending