The Student Room Group

Help with math coursework

I've spent about 2 weeks doing my coursework for Maths Gcse which i've already took the exam for, and now I have just finished the coursework bar the conclusion which I am needing help on.

It is the same old newspaper, compare arcticles from 3 different papers and show the results. I have done box and whiskers and line graphs and compared them.

For conclusion shell I include numerical data? Should I provide evidence which I have done to get the results in graphs or something? Please help.
Reply 1
It's difficult to comment without seeing your actual coursework and I'm by far no Maths expert, but hopefully the following willhelp you:
1 State your hypothesis and then say whether or not your data supports this e.g. My results prove my hypothesis that words in a Broadsheet newspaper are, on average, longer than those in a tabloid.
2 Don't say you've proved anything. Say something like I cannot be sure the relationship I have found is geuine as the data I have collected could be due to chance
3 Say what you could do to get more reliable results e.g. collect more data!
5 Say what you would do to check if there is strong enough evidence for a conclusion e.g;. carry out a stastical test. (You don't need to do one!!)
6 Write down ways you could have got more reliable results
7 Write down all the stuff you did to get unbiased data e.g. used passages of the same length, from the same newspaper, same length, same section e.g. sport
8 Try to write down a practical use of your results e.g.useful for those who study how language is used to creata an effect in different types of newspaper (Not sure if that's true, but it sounds good)

If you need further support, feel free to post again.

For futher support look for:
GCSE Maths coursework companion by Longman ISBN : 0582795990
gcse mATHS: The Coursework Book by CGP 1841460990
can i just say- i hated my maths coursework- i'm surprised i got a b, i did that ****! i did it all, and it all made sense, then in the last 5mins of write-up, i realised i had cocked it all up!
Reply 3
shauncouldstone
It's difficult to comment without seeing your actual coursework and I'm by far no Maths expert, but hopefully the following willhelp you:
1 State your hypothesis and then say whether or not your data supports this e.g. My results prove my hypothesis that words in a Broadsheet newspaper are, on average, longer than those in a tabloid.
2 Don't say you've proved anything. Say something like I cannot be sure the relationship I have found is geuine as the data I have collected could be due to chance
3 Say what you could do to get more reliable results e.g. collect more data!
5 Say what you would do to check if there is strong enough evidence for a conclusion e.g;. carry out a stastical test. (You don't need to do one!!)
6 Write down ways you could have got more reliable results
7 Write down all the stuff you did to get unbiased data e.g. used passages of the same length, from the same newspaper, same length, same section e.g. sport
8 Try to write down a practical use of your results e.g.useful for those who study how language is used to creata an effect in different types of newspaper (Not sure if that's true, but it sounds good)

If you need further support, feel free to post again.

For futher support look for:
GCSE Maths coursework companion by Longman ISBN : 0582795990
gcse mATHS: The Coursework Book by CGP 1841460990

Much love to you.

Latest