The Student Room Group

OCR M2 - 18th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

simoncb
For question 4 (the beam), instead of "bearing of 329 degrees", I wrote "21.5N, at an angle of 58.8 degrees from the horizontal, away from the beam"... is that correct?

yes
jeremybag
question 2 is 9.04 degrees to 3sf?

It asks you to round to the nearest degree.
jeremybag
question 2 is 9.04 degrees to 3sf?

When I re-read the question I saw it said "to nearest degree" - God knows why. To trip people up. A similar thing happened to me in C3.
jeremybag
you had me REALLY worried then! how difficult did you think the paper was? I found it very difficult first run through... but when I came back to them, it seemed fine...

I reckon I got 62 going by your mark scheme. really pleased!

I thought it was perfectly straightforward but I had a word with a couple of quite able students as they were leaving and they didn't much like it.
Reply 84
Mr M
It asks you to round to the nearest degree.

typical. just read that. lose 1 mark?
AnythingButChardonnay
Is it safe to assume that, barring "show..." questions, getting the right answer gets full marks?

Also, Mr M, I didn't work out a numerical value angular speed in 5ii. All I managed to do was re-arrange the equation from 5i. Any marks at all?

The marks there would be:

Realising the contact force = 0 (1 mark)

Resolving vertically and horizontally (or using previous working) (1 mark)

T cos 45 = mg

T cos 45 = m (0.8 cos 45) w^2

Setting equations equal to each other and solving (1 mark)

Accuracy (1 mark)
jeremybag
typical. just read that. lose 1 mark?

Sometimes the mark scheme allows examiners to give full credit for incorrectly rounded answers so you might get away with it. Lose 1 mark if you are unlucky.
Reply 87
Possibly my worst paper. How lenient are they on ecf, e.g. if I calculated the CoM using 3.82cm as the distance from the circumference of the arc? And also what is your opinion of this exam compared to previous ones and what will the 90% UMS mark be in terms of raw mark?
Reply 88
Goldfishy I did exactly the same thing and got 5 as the angle :frown:
Reply 89
f1giles
Goldfishy I did exactly the same thing and got 5 as the angle :frown:

:five: Same. We fail together.
Goldfishy
Possibly my worst paper. How lenient are they on ecf, e.g. if I calculated the CoM using 3.82cm as the distance from the circumference of the arc? And also what is your opinion of this exam compared to previous ones and what will the 90% UMS mark be in terms of raw mark?

Ooh that was daft - it clearly says from the centre in the formula book.

There will be error carried forward marks (don't know how many). I thought it was the easiest paper for a couple of years.
Reply 91
Mr M
Ooh that was daft - it clearly says from the centre in the formula book.

There will be error carried forward marks (don't know how many). I thought it was the easiest paper for a couple of years.

:facepalm: End-of-exams-itus. Could you also just state the 2 components of A in Q4.ii) please? Many thanks.
I got the last part of the last question right. Then I went on to use a different method. Equation of the roof was
y = -tan30 x + 2.5

Then I worked out the equation of the parabola. Work out where they intersect. I made a mistake somewhere rearranging and got the wrong answer. Then I went on to cross out the first attempt which was correct (the ball would have dropped about 1.6 (was it?) by the time it clears the roof's base distance.)

Anyone have any idea on how many marks I'd lose?
Goldfishy
:facepalm: End-of-exams-itus. Could you also just state the 2 components of A in Q4.ii) please? Many thanks.

X direction is Tension sin 20 = 11.14658842 N

Y direction is Weight - Tension = 18.375 N
lrn2physics
I got the last part of the last question right. Then I went on to use a different method. Equation of the roof was
y = -tan30 x + 2.5

Then I worked out the equation of the parabola. Work out where they intersect. I made a mistake somewhere rearranging and got the wrong answer. Then I went on to cross out the first attempt which was correct (the ball would have dropped about 1.6 (was it?) by the time it clears the roof's base distance.)

Anyone have any idea on how many marks I'd lose?

That's a nice idea (a bit longwinded though!). You should just lose the last two marks as the method is sensible.
Reply 95
AnythingButChardonnay
When I re-read the question I saw it said "to nearest degree" - God knows why. To trip people up. A similar thing happened to me in C3.

YOU cnt be serious! I bloody did 3 s.f.
Oh mi days. I got everything right but that stupid thing
Reply 96
Mr M
OCR M2 (not OCR MEI) Answers June 2010

... (7 marks)

Mr M,

On the last part of question 6 I accidentally switched the masses of the two balls, apart from that my working was fine. How many marks do you think I'll lose? I'd imagine quite a lot.
Reply 97

Mr M so does the ball hit the roof or not, sorrt I don't really understand your answer
Reply 98
yu80359
Mr M so does the roof hit the roof or not, sorrt I don't really understand your answer

It misses the roof, Mr M has changed his answer to say this (look again at his answers post on page 4)
jess121
Mr M,

On the last part of question 6 I accidentally switched the masses of the two balls, apart from that my working was fine. How many marks do you think I'll lose? I'd imagine quite a lot.

You should still be able to get up to 6 marks out of 8 I expect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending